• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At Long Last I've Gone To Church

33 posts in this topic

I've knelt at the altar and seen the divine... smelt the freshness... and felt the suppleness that is my very first Church book cloud9.gif

Thanks to nochips for this one thumbsup2.gif

wow57.jpg

Church is addictive, I must caution you. wink.gif

do church books REALLY smell different?

In a word, YES!

I've knelt at the altar and seen the divine... smelt the freshness... and felt the suppleness that is my very first Church book cloud9.gif

wow57.jpg

Congrats on a beautiful book, and welcome to the church of Church!

In a word, YES!

Interesting - especially as Church books have now spent nearly 30 years out of their Colorado basement living in various collections around the country and beyond. I guess that they've generally been cared for with an effort to maintain their "freshness" would keep the "Church smell" alive, but I'd think at some point the new environments would have to add their own bouquet, no?

wow57.jpg

That's a very pretty copy. I love the background color. The first golden age book I bought about 10 years ago was this Church copy and I was simply stunned at how fresh it was. I started going to Church more often after that.

Ken

headline10.jpg

In a word, YES!

With a bouquet like a newly opened box of Crayola crayons. cloud9.gif

In a word, YES!

Were crayons perhaps used by people trying to 'manufacture' Church/Mile High pedigrees? Crayons do have a strong and sort of cloying or 'clinging' aroma, I could see that scent attaching it to a comic fairly quickly...?

In a word, YES!

Were crayons perhaps used by people trying to 'manufacture' Church/Mile High pedigrees? Crayons do have a strong and sort of cloying or 'clinging' aroma, I could see that scent attaching it to a comic fairly quickly...?

Not that I'm aware of. The smell is similar to cedar -- the smell will turn increasingly acidic/sour as the pages deteriorate.

I want a Church book in the worst way... and I specifically want one that he purchased new, not one bought as a back issue (does the most comprehensive Church checklist include that designation on each book? Where's the best thread on identifying a Church book w/confidence?).

The paradox for me is that I want one that's raw but then I worry about being completely sure that it's a real Church book. I guess the solution there is to buy from a reputable and knowledgeable dealer.

Happily, I don't even really care much which title... though I'd prefer something classic and superhero-ish if I had my druthers!

Every post 30s Church book that I've seen is an "off the newsstand copy". The 30s books that are second hand usually have a double-slash in the upper LH corner of the cover.

If you want to be confident you're purchasing a Church book and you really aren't knowledgeable about them then you have to purchase from a reputable, well-known dealer or buy a slabbed copy. This is not the kind of purchase to make based on something you've read on the internet.

Generally speaking, if the book is coded with a C or D code like the pic below, you can be more assured that CGC or the dealer are correct in their assertion that a book is from the Church collection.

Generally any classic super-hero book is going to be slabbed, but you might find one from a reliable board member or from Metropolis that isn't. Either way, they'll cost a lot. You can actually purchase some very nice Church books in the off-genres of funny animal, teen humor, romance etc for under 300 bucks.

Krazy6-1.jpg

Don't know your taste in genres, but Metro has some nice/affordable raw Church Jungles & Jumbos from later in the run. Check 'em out. thumbsup2.gif

The problem with the most of the later Fiction House (other than the Planets) is that they are not good examples of Church books due to the way they were stored during the early to mid-1980's. For about a six year period they were in an un air-conditioned garage apartment stewing in the Houston heat. Because of this they are not representative of the collection in general. Many or most are slightly browning, not killer white. Cool books, but Garth wouldn't be getting the full Church experience.