• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Get Medieval

23 posts in this topic

Hi all! I'm trying to brainstorm up some ideas for an academic paper, and need some suggestion- not a thesis, but more just some material suggestions that I can dig into. It's not for a class, but more of a generic academic pursuit. Any and all help is appreciated!

This is what I'm looking for:

Any aspect of comics (comic strips, comics books, graphic novels, manga,

panel cartoons, comics to film/film to comics, etc.) featuring medieval

themes either in stories set during the Middle Ages or in stories presenting

some element of the medieval in the post-medieval era.

Thanks again!

Yeah, so long as it is a significant aspect / theme of the issue(s). And I'm not looking for an in-depth analysis of it either- that's for me smile.gif Just some starting points to work with, maybe a 1-2 sentence blurb on how that story arc relates, etc, so I know what I'm looking for.

I'm many people may (or may not) be aware, but there are a few movements in the field of English Literature to open the canon up to a variety of new mediums, authors, genres, etc. One of the more prominent figures in this is Tolkien- is he just low-brow fantasy for the socially inept or *gasp* could he actually have a place in a classroom? In like fashion, there are some who are trying to build some credibility for comic books as a form of literature. So, I'm working on a paper for a conference/ collection of essays along these lines, and am trying to brainstorm up some ideas.

How about Sandman when they do that MidSummer's Night Dream storyline where "Shakespeare puts on a play for an unearthly audience." I can't remember what the whole Avengers in medieval times was about anymore. It's been so long but I think it was brought up in Civil War...

Iron Man 150.

IM and Doctor Doom get transported back to Arthurian England. IM teams up with Arthur and Doom teams up with Morgana Le Fay. Huge battle ensues. Very cool issue with Romita jr/Layton artwork.

Any aspect of comics (comic strips, comics books, graphic novels, manga,

panel cartoons, comics to film/film to comics, etc.) featuring medieval

I'm pretty sure EC's Valor series from the mid-1950s had stories set in medieval times. Beautifully drawn, and easy enough to find the reprint versions for around $2 each.

I just finished reading an arc in the 2nd Dr. Strange Series (Issues 17 - 19) where he goes back in time to investigate how the idea of an "America" got started. It involves the historic figures of Francis Bacon in the early 1600's who (based on what I read) many believe to be the person who wrote some of the stories of William Shakespeare. Then, they travel into the future to meet Ben Franklin on his actual voyage to North America as he's needed to help start the process which will eventually form the USA.

Reference is made to something called "The College of the Six Days Work". Apparently only 1/2 the book ever became published as the other 1/2 was lost to history.

This is what I'm looking for:

Any aspect of comics (comic strips, comics books, graphic novels, manga, panel cartoons, comics to film/film to comics, etc.) featuring medieval

Better start reading right away since you've got to catch with about 70 years worth of Prince Valiant!

Then, there are some story elements related to the Vikings that were mostly active during that time period in both The Viking Prince DC series as well as in several Barks Uncle Scrooge / Donald Duck stories. There are several french series that takes place in medieval times: Thorgal being the most prominent. Also Blake of Blake & Mortimer is sent back in time to the medieval period in Le Piege Diabolique as is Bob Morane in his adventure: La Prisonniere de l'Ombre Jaune. Other European medieval stories are the Jhen (originally released as Xan) series by Jacques Martin (of Alix fame), Les Chemins de Malefosse by Bardet (takes place circa 1593, might be too late for your purpose), ... And as far as Manga, try and check out the Joan Book by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko.

Also didn't Alley Oop travel through times and possibly went to the Middle Ages.

More as I remember them if you're interested ...

What about Atlas' Black Knight? Those are pretty cool.

893applaud-thumb.gif Almost forgot about those thumbsup2.gif which reminded me of Bolton's Black Dragon mini he did for Epic!

I should mention as well:

Castle Waiting by Linda Medley

Thieves & Kings by M'Oak takes place in an alternate medieval times but the setting is medieval

same goes for The Realm and other following series with a more pronounced D&D flair to the stories

All early DCs had Prince Valiant knock-offs, check out early New Comics, Adventure and Detective comics

Also check out Roland: Days of Wrath, a 1999 Xerix winner 4-issue mini by Fabio Moon. Clearly a medieval storyline

When is Gaiman / Vess's Stardust supposed to take place? Elizabethan time or earlier?

Robyn of Sheerwood from Caliber as well.

Usagi Yojimbo takes place in medieval times too doesn't it? Not in Europe but in the Japanese medieval period?

Well, paper will probably be somewhere in the greater vicinity of 10-15 pages-- give or take. So, yeah, lots of great stuff in here for me to be digging through. Most definitely appreciated!