• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics No. 1 - What will it go for?

35 posts in this topic

Brent of Quality Comix just added an extensively restored (6.0) Marvel no. 1 to his June Auction. How much will it go for?

Rick you may have found your copy! I'd say this goes for $18K.
Made a typo on the amount, didn't see the comments about the regloss, etc.

the $17,500-20K range is what I was thinking as well..

gator

Hey Rick do the October copies differ slightly than the November one's when they note the printing date/publisher say on the bottom of the first interior page? I guess what I'm trying to ask is will an October copy say "printed by Timley in October 1939" and the November one's indicate "November" or are they the same? Did they even do that back in 1939?

Hey Rick do the October copies differ slightly than the November one's when they note the printing date/publisher say on the bottom of the first interior page? I guess what I'm trying to ask is will an October copy say "printed by Timley in October 1939" and the November one's indicate "November" or are they the same? Did they even do that back in 1939?

hello all...

I will answer that question this weekend, if at all possible...Brent is sending me this copy to review, and Jim Payette is sending me his copy to review...if there is any difference, I will detail....Overstreet has never detailed the difference, and I don't care what the little date says, just want a nice copy!

gator

hello all...

I will answer that question this weekend, if at all possible...Brent is sending me this copy to review, and Jim Payette is sending me his copy to review...if there is any difference, I will detail....Overstreet has never detailed the difference, and I don't care what the little date says, just want a nice copy!

gator

This new interest in October copies makes me wish I'd not sold the one copy I had, which was a married cover from Jacquet's files. At the time people peed all over it saying it didn't matter if it was the first printing, etc. I should never, ever listen to people who insist on saying things don't make a difference when I know damn well they do.

Course I have plenty of things like that stiill in my collection, things I know have great value but which some insist are meaningless whilst they chase 9.8s -- any 9.8s -- at triple digit multiples of guide.

Metro had the Unrestored Cage Oct copy for the longest time . Its gone a good while now.I remember when it could have been had for 50k.I also remember a cover[ONLY] for sale in the 1991 Sotherbys auction.

You can always restore a Nov copy back to an Oct copy and remove the black circle blotch. Well actually you will than have a Nov/Oct copy.

Take it easy!........... im joking.

The only difference between an Oct. and a Nov. copy is that someone took a stamp and stamped out the October 1939 info in the indicia and on the cover. One stamp was a circle with NOV under it for the cover. The stamp for the indicia was a bar about an inch long. Whoever did the stamping didn't even aim very well on some of them.

hello all...

I agree...I could care less if it says Oct or Nov or Santa Claus smile.gif ...I am just looking for a nice presentable, fairly priced copy at a fair price !

gator

Course I have plenty of things like that stiill in my collection, things I know have great value but which some insist are meaningless whilst they chase 9.8s -- any 9.8s -- at triple digit multiples of guide.

beatdeadhorse.gif

beatdeadhorse.gif

I have never seen a "flogging a dead horse" graemlin...nice one brad! (no offense to bluechip, I like bob, too)

gator

Whoever did the stamping didn't even aim very well on some of them.

If we presume it was stamped "by hand" shortly after being completely printed, trimmed and assembled (perhaps using some kind of apparatus to at least somewhat align the book while being stamped, as I don't think I've seen examples of "crooked" stamps), and for the sake of argument presume it took 3 seconds for one person to align a book, get it stamped, and move onto the next book.

Under those assumptions, it would have taken two 10-man crews working 12 hour per day shifts almost 3 days to get the (about 800,000?) books stamped. (so Mr. B... they were probably in a big hurry! grin.gif )

Slightly OT: whenever I think about this, it also strikes me how much space that many GA sized books would take up and how hard it would have been to move them. No big semi trucks at the time I guess, so lots of transport done by train I suppose.

Slightly OT: whenever I think about this, it also strikes me how much space that many GA sized books would take up and how hard it would have been to move them. No big semi trucks at the time I guess, so lots of transport done by train I suppose.

What do you think was in all those crates at the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc... stooges.gif

Whoever did the stamping didn't even aim very well on some of them.

If we presume it was stamped "by hand" shortly after being completely printed, trimmed and assembled (perhaps using some kind of apparatus to at least somewhat align the book while being stamped, as I don't think I've seen examples of "crooked" stamps), and for the sake of argument presume it took 3 seconds for one person to align a book, get it stamped, and move onto the next book.

Under those assumptions, it would have taken two 10-man crews working 12 hour per day shifts almost 3 days to get the (about 800,000?) books stamped. (so Mr. B... they were probably in a big hurry! grin.gif )

The idea of it is hard to swallow, I agree. But there are examples of crooked stamps. Billy Parker pointed out a prime example in a thread here somewhere. I have owned three Nov. copies and the stamps are not uniformly placed. So either they hand stamped them or they ran them back through the print machinery. It was a tedious and time consuming job either way.

hello all...

I agree...I could care less if it says Oct or Nov or Santa Claus smile.gif ...I am just looking for a nice presentable, fairly priced copy at a fair price !

gator

Damn gator I would have sold you my Santa Claus copy of MC 1 but I sold it last year!!! poke2.gif