• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you predict will be "hot" in 15 years ????

663 posts in this topic

Wonder what the comic world will be like in 2022.....

Will there be a new area of collecting burst onto the scene, and change eveything we know now as "can't be beat"?

I wonder about the future impact of digital comics. Instead of single issues will fans aquire complete title runs with a mouse-click? Instead of a room full of longboxes will they have a few thumbdrives in the nightstand? Cruise around with every Batman or Spider-man appearance ever produced inside a comic-size portable viewer?

I read somewhere that about 80% of all DC and Marvel backissues are already scanned, in official boxed sets or out in the blog/torrent-verse. Will a new generation that's been raised with digital-everything run with the cover-to-cover scan format, comfortable with it, or will it die out?

It's hard to have an opinion being 'old', but do I wonder what kids born today will think of paper 'floppies' when they're 15. Will they chase after hardcopies of entertainment they could locate and download in two minutes at a keyboard?

Time will tell.

I wonder if most kids will even read in 15 years, hardly any kids like to read anymore. That could play a huge factor in the hobby.

Oh, and Neal Pert rules! headbang.gif

aside from all of the very interesting comments in this thread, here's my 2 cents:

as long as we can avoid people physically plugging into the matrix/internet within the next 15 years, hopefully people will still read enough to still be reading comic books. that being said, i think that once Marvel/DC can tap more into the media with entertainment (movies, even musicals right?, etc.) that will actively increase interest in the characters themselves which ultimately originate from the comic books.

they just need to make really awesome Marvel movies.

how hard would it be to do trilogy movies for the big guns at Marvel? or even at DC? X-Men and Spider-Man are there.

once the trilogies of movies are made for the individual characters, it opens the doorways to the mega-action cross-over movies.

i believe that the movies will keep the interest alive in comics and vice versa.

893blahblah.gif

1841626-twiki3.jpg

"Biddy...biddy...biddy...gold, silver and bronze metals will be all be the rage, buck!"

That's Awesome! Buck Rogers rocked! damn am I getting old that I remember watching that as a kid?

Erin Grey was f'in HOT back then. I remember her wearing tight spandex type slacks.

Whatever was published and collected in the late 1990s. The rule of 25 always holds. thumbsup2.gif

Is that rule applied to kids feeling nostalgic for their youth? I hope your are correct, but if the current collector is 30-40 and not being replenished with kids, I doubt when we get 55-65 we will be collecting 90's stuff.

Nintendo's and playstation's will be the hot tickets in 25 years when kids today have disposable income.

The question isn't what COMICS will be hot in 15 years, it is what will be HOT in 15 years. Whatever was purchased by 12 year olds in 1997. That's what the big collectible of 2022 will be. I'd go with Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh.

"The Rule of 25": Whatever was being purchased by 12 year olds 25 years previously, that's what the hot collectible is.

Signature Series books can only go up, specially with the older artists. In my opinion, only slabs worth keeping in slabs. blush.gif

You are so brilliant... hail.gifflowerred.gif

Sadly I think this might have some merit to it... the artists are certainly not getting any younger, and to hold a SS book where the artist has passed away (with all due respect here), books should feel a greater appreciation in value.

I still think high grade 1st app and key stories will be hot, especially gold, silver and bronze aged stuff. I would expect to see the kids of today that will be 25-30 to re-collect stuff that they are currently into. It seems to be a pattern that when people get older and start to make some real money that they like to recollect stuff from their youth.

Wasn't it 2112, or do I just have RUSH on my mind? confused-smiley-013.gif

headbang.gif

headbang.gif

Rush 1976 - 1981 kicked some serious *spoon*. I have a lot of that stuff on my I-Pod including the whole of the Permanent Waves cd. Post 1982 they've had their moments, but not like that earlier stuff. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Whatever was published and collected in the late 1990s. The rule of 25 always holds. thumbsup2.gif

Is that rule applied to kids feeling nostalgic for their youth? I hope your are correct, but if the current collector is 30-40 and not being replenished with kids, I doubt when we get 55-65 we will be collecting 90's stuff.

Nintendo's and playstation's will be the hot tickets in 25 years when kids today have disposable income.

The question isn't what COMICS will be hot in 15 years, it is what will be HOT in 15 years. Whatever was purchased by 12 year olds in 1997. That's what the big collectible of 2022 will be. I'd go with Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh.

"The Rule of 25": Whatever was being purchased by 12 year olds 25 years previously, that's what the hot collectible is.

In a nutshell... yes indeedy folks thumbsup2.gif

But obviously there will be other 'hotties' around, as to what they are is the $64 question right now.

I'd go for movie related tie in's. FF, X-men, Spidey, Wolverine, Batman, Superman etc, etc.

There has to be some kind of connection to the current 'media landscape'. And the likes of books separated 30-60 years of discontinued story lines, and character progression in one way or another will be left to flounder. But saying that, artists still impact on value, but that only applies to the top percentage here.

Signature Series books can only go up, specially with the older artists. In my opinion, only slabs worth keeping in slabs. blush.gif

Sadly I think this might have some merit to it... the artists are certainly not getting any younger, and to hold a SS book where the artist has passed away (with all due respect here), books should feel a greater appreciation in value.

I agree entirely.

It will be interesting to see if CGC SS books cross over and generate interest with general autograph collectors. I know that many autograph collectors who have no interest in collecting comics still seek Stan Lee's autograph.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whatever it is, there is no chance it'll be comic books.

Sure, there will still be collectors, but hot like today? 27_laughing.gif

As long as they keep making Spider-Man movies, the prices will keep going up, up, up!!!

According to my calculations, right now there is a 13 year old walking around somewhere that will pay at least $11,748 for CGC 9.4 ASM 67 in 2022.

insane.gif

According to my calculations, right now there is a 13 year old walking around somewhere that will pay at least $11,748 for CGC 9.4 ASM 67 in 2022.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

That made my morning.

Honestly... that price could well be realistic! Seriously. I remember years ago thinking it was ludicrous to think anyone would pay over $2000 for any Spiderman book in the first 20 apart from #1 in top order.

Now $2000 would get you a mid grade non key on a good day.

And the top books are where it'll be at....funnily enough.

insane.gif

Well, who knows how much that book will sell for after our currency collapses - personally, I don't think we'll make it to 2022 without an economic/financial crisis of epic proportions. It's like Einstein said: the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest. Let's see how we pay off all our massive debts and unfunded liabilities as the baby boomers retire. I think all of us will have more important things to worry about in 2022 than speculating on hot comic books. 893whatthe.gif

I also call BS on the so-called "Rule of 25". For every example of something that was hot coming back into vogue 25 years later, I'm sure you can find many more examples of things that didn't come back into fashion. Also, given the ages of most of the members on this Board, we're really talking about our selective memories from experiences in the last few decades, hardly a meaningful statistical sample. Besides, with the way the world is going, even if my predictions of economic armageddon don't come to pass, the world is still becoming more globalized and income differentials within the U.S. are becoming exacerbated even as those with the rest of the world are narrowing - who is to say the impoverished American consumer will be dictating what is "hot" in 2022 anyway? You won't catch me hoarding Pokemon collectibles for their triumphant comeback in 2022. 893naughty-thumb.gif

It is safe to say that mainstream characters with a lot of exposure, keys, and high grade will still be collectible in 15 years.

For those who collect gold or silver age, I do think a significant factor to consider in 15 years is the aging baby boomer demographic. I think it is reasonable to say these are the wealthiest collectors, probably with the best material, largest collections, and most interest in GA and SA. By 2022 the initial wave of baby boomers will be reaching 75. I suspect that by the late 2020s we will have seen and continue to see a lot of this material hitting the market. Personally, I am hoping for good buying opportunities by the 2020s.