• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading question re: blown staples--what's the subtraction rate?

8 posts in this topic

Okay...I've got a stunning DETECTIVE COMICS 395.

And the only apparent flaw is a blown staple, top.

All the pages are secure...it looks IMHO, that when the book was getting stitched at the printer, the pressure may have forced it right through the cover.

It's a killer copy.

So my question is, assume for a moment (I don't have a scan handy right now) that its clean, bright, supple, sharp edges, no other spine tics or whatever...and the only thing is that staple...how kind of grade are we looking at?

I don't know how many points CGC takes down for a blown staple.

Thanks guys!

You'll probably get a Qualified grade if the book is 9.2 or higher, which it sounds like it is. You may be able to request a "straight" grade from CGC instead of a Q grade, in which case I have no idea...a 9.4 becomes an 8.0 maybe? confused-smiley-013.gif

You may be able to request a "straight" grade from CGC instead of a Q grade

Sorry, that was kind of funny. 27_laughing.gif

You're easily amused. confused-smiley-013.gif

If it's a nice 9.2-9.4 ignoring the popped staple... I'd say you have a straight universally graded 8.0. If it's better the 9.4 and creeping into 9.6 range... maybe drop to only 8.5.

Other alternative is to replace the staple by having it reworked so it's still the original and it would get the Qualified as it's not considered restoration but more an adjustment and receive the qualified grade of 9.2-9.6 depending on what the book looks like.

You're easily amused. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

Every time I hear that, I think of the Christopher Guest National Lampoon skit with Mr. Rogers interviewing the bass player.

"I like the way you say that!"

"Hell, you're easily amused. I can say wimpy, wompy, wambly..."

EGG-A-MUFFIN!