• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC'S CURRENT COMPETITION

44 posts in this topic

On Ebay right now, there are 28 CGG books, 40 3PG books, and 2521 books that are CGC graded.

What do you think will be the numbers about a year from now? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think there is a big enough market to support CGC for the next 5 years, let alone 2 other competitors. I don't think CGG and 3PG will make it because they got in the game too late. There are only so many pre-modern comics out there worth slabbing. I don't think a CGC type company can survive on just slabbing modern comics. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think a CGC type company can survive on just slabbing modern comics. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh I disagree.....judging from the amount of Modern CGC comics being offered on eBay, I'd bet a company would do quite well indeed grading Moderns only.

Jim

It all depends on their fixed costs. If they can run the business out of a garage or rather a cheap building with a small staff, they may only need to grade a relatively small number of comics per month. However, the low price makes it very difficult to make a profit needed to cover the fixed costs. I don't think I would invest in any of the grading companies' stock if they were public.

The one big thing CGC has going for them is loyalty of many in the comic field. From a collector's standpoint, the key to grading should be consistent 3rd party grading results that anyone can trust versus my own opinion. However, many of you out there seem to be overly enamored with CGC for the holder, etc. The key to adding value is the consistent grade (assuming a quality holder that protects the comic).

Just my thoughts...

Mike

The only reasons I see to buy a CGC comic over a viewed-in-person raw (for less) is for the protective benefits of the case and the added liquidity should you decide to sell.

So now the restoration check has no value?...

You're right, there are a few out there who touched up their X-Men 108...

The only reasons I see to buy a CGC comic over a viewed-in-person raw (for less) is for the protective benefits of the case and the added liquidity should you decide to sell.

So now the restoration check has no value?...

You're right, there are a few out there who touched up their X-Men 108...

that's specific, sounded like your statement was general.

...bet you'd care more if you were buying a 94 9.4 though

I don't think a CGC type company can survive on just slabbing modern comics. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh I disagree.....judging from the amount of Modern CGC comics being offered on eBay, I'd bet a company would do quite well indeed grading Moderns only.

Jim

I hope you are right, but like mlovest I wouldn't invest in their stock if they were public. It would be nice if they keep their staff small enough so their operating budget is low and they can survive after most of the pre-modern books are slabbed by people who want to have them slabbed. I have visited both their NJ office when they were here where I live in NJ and their Florida office after the move. I don't think their overhead for rent should be too expensive.

On Ebay right now, there are 28 CGG books, 40 3PG books, and 2521 books that are CGC graded.

What do you think will be the numbers about a year from now? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

0 CGG, 0 3PG, 2521 CGC

Fire bad... Tree pretty...

56_08.jpg

0 CGG, 0 3PG, 2521 CGC

56_08.jpg

grrrrr

0 CGG, 0 3PG, 2521 CGC

56_08.jpg

grrrrr

arrrg

Hi All. Im new here but I am 35 and started collecting around age 10 in the late 70s. I stopped around 1988 and resumed a few years ago. Anyway Ive got a collection of about 2000 books, hundreds in the 5-20 $ range and about 100 over 50 $ with 50 or so over 100 $ Is it worth it for me to send my top books to CGC ? My top books value 200 as high as 760 on Overstreet ( if my 20 years of grading xp serves me right ). I am suspicious of CGC and think theyre only in it to make money and set themselves up as the bona-fide last word when I doubt they are. Who is to say that a one-inch binder wear is equal to a 1/4 inch crease at the corner ? I know VG, F, VF, NM and M when I see it, why should I send my books to CGC ? Why does this have to be rocket science when dealing with books under 5,000 $ ? If I send, for example, Journey Into Mystery # 88 which I perceieve as in VF, and pay 30 $, is my book worth 30 $+ more to do so ? Is it worth it to have books under around 200 $ sent for CGC ? Another PROBLEM. I have hundreds of old Warren magazines ( Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella etc ). In some instances their worth outflanks my comics. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why CGC won't grade magazines, its the SAME THING ! All they have to do is make a larger casing for the magazine size. This discreapancy makes me wonder if CGC is merely trying to carve a niche in the comics grading monopoly.

Hi All. Im new here but I am 35 and started collecting around age 10 in the late 70s. I stopped around 1988 and resumed a few years ago. Anyway Ive got a collection of about 2000 books, hundreds in the 5-20 $ range and about 100 over 50 $ with 50 or so over 100 $ Is it worth it for me to send my top books to CGC ? My top books value 200 as high as 760 on Overstreet ( if my 20 years of grading xp serves me right ). I am suspicious of CGC and think theyre only in it to make money and set themselves up as the bona-fide last word when I doubt they are. Who is to say that a one-inch binder wear is equal to a 1/4 inch crease at the corner ? I know VG, F, VF, NM and M when I see it, why should I send my books to CGC ? Why does this have to be rocket science when dealing with books under 5,000 $ ? If I send, for example, Journey Into Mystery # 88 which I perceieve as in VF, and pay 30 $, is my book worth 30 $+ more to do so ? Is it worth it to have books under around 200 $ sent for CGC ? Another PROBLEM. I have hundreds of old Warren magazines ( Eerie, Creepy, Vampirella etc ). In some instances their worth outflanks my comics. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why CGC won't grade magazines, its the SAME THING ! All they have to do is make a larger casing for the magazine size. This discreapancy makes me wonder if CGC is merely trying to carve a niche in the comics grading monopoly.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

First of all CGC will be grading magazines starting around October.

Why send your books to CGC?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I trust CGC graders a lot more than the average joe, so if you want to sell your books, send them to CGC. That's why they sell for more than the unslabbed books do.

I would only send them to CGC if you want to sell or want to have some gems to display in the pretty protective holders.

My suggestion is to test them out before sending a bunch of books.

Pick out a few and grade them for yourself, then send them in and compare the grades when you get them back.

You may be amazed at how tight the high grades are.

It's definately a wake up call for your grading skills in some cases.

If you want to read your books, then you obviously don't want to get them graded.

CGCs' got competition !!?? No, can't be.

As I see it, CGC has this market more or less to itself. CGC is like Hinze is to Ketchup, Kleenex is to tissue etc. Yes, they will always have competitors, but CGC would have to really irk off a lot of people in order for that preception to change. People will always pay more, or wait longer if they perceive that the choice they made was the best choice out there !

wink.gif