• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help needed on double staples

15 posts in this topic

I just got this Hedy De Vine in today from Heritage and noticed that it has two sets of staples. One set attaches the cover all the way through to the centerfold as a normal set would. Then inside the front cover there is another set that also goes through to the centerfold. This issue is from the Crippen collection so I don't think that he added staples in at any point, but I thought I would ask for opinions.

HedyDevine27.jpg

hd01.jpg

hd02.jpg

hd03.jpg

looks normal when looking at the cover/spine. Manufacturing error I guess ???

May be good in a way....book should be REALLY tight, and don't think this would be considered an undesirable defect.....so congratulations!

Steve

I'm not sure how this would have been manufactured that way, since the production run sequence has the cover attached to the pages prior to stapling.

Another unusual thing is that the inner staples seem to have rusted (see the inner front cover rust transfer stain), while the outer staples don't seem to show any rust. Had they been placed at the same time, one would think that the degree of oxidation would be similar if not identical. Also, the distance betwen the staple "sets" is slightly different, at least from the centerfold view jpg.

I think that one set of staples may have been added post-production. There are a variety of Crippen/"D" books in low grade (recall the coverless Whiz on eBay recently which was encapsulated by CGC). Just one man's opinion...

Another unusual thing is that the inner staples seem to have rusted (see the inner front cover rust transfer stain), while the outer staples don't seem to show any rust. Had they been placed at the same time, one would think that the degree of oxidation would be similar if not identical.

...yes, good call J.B. ---I see what you mean 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

maybe the 2nd second of staples, especially since they exhibit rust ( which I 1st missed ) could be removed.....then you would only have one set, and they are the 'correct' and rust free set so that there is no further bleed onto the cover or splash page from the 2nd 'not normal' rusting set ??? Just a thought

I think that one set of staples may have been added post-production. There are a variety of Crippen/"D" books in low grade (recall the coverless Whiz on eBay recently which was encapsulated by CGC). Just one man's opinion...

I believe that this copy is from the recent Crippen find and not from the ones that were leaked out over the years. This one was in a decent sized run of Hedy books that Heritage auctioned this past Sunday. If that is the case and the second set was added post production then it would mean that Crippen himself was adding staples and such over the years. Could prove interesting down the road.

This is not uncommon. I'm just about finished bagging and boarding around 5,000 books and when I come across this, I'm surprised, but then I'll find another one a hundred books later. Probably saw this about 20 times total.

I think it's a quality control issue at the printers and the book may have just been run through twice - the first time it missed its cover, so they threw it back in the hopper - voila another set of staples and a cover!

Now the rusting has me baffled, but I still believe it's a printer's defect.

This is not uncommon. I'm just about finished bagging and boarding around 5,000 books and when I come across this, I'm surprised, but then I'll find another one a hundred books later. Probably saw this about 20 times total.

I think it's a quality control issue at the printers and the book may have just been run through twice - the first time it missed its cover, so they threw it back in the hopper - voila another set of staples and a cover!

Now the rusting has me baffled, but I still believe it's a printer's defect.

Yep, seen it quite a few times myself.

It was my understanding that at the end of a production run some completed "insides" would be matched up with left over "covers" and sent back through the process. Hence the second set of inside staples.

I believe these left over "insides" were ones that on the first go around matched up with a bad cover. Instead of throwing away the whole book they would just slab a new cover on it.

It's got a couple of nice splash pages in it. I was watching alot of them and was a bit amazed at how high some went. I got this one due to the red dress. Every time I looked at the auction I was drawn to the red and yellow combo.

I think I might have to start a red dress cover collection 893scratchchin-thumb.gif