• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?

Do you think that Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?

181 posts in this topic

Holy 893censored-thumb.gif!!! I didn't notice that there are now FIVE 9.8s in the Census. Jeez, pretty soon there'll be enough for everybody!

This pattern suggests that the rumors may be true; there are some serious Hulk 181 hoards out there, and these are slowly leaking into the CGC market, but not in a lump amount that would send off alarm bells.

The fact that stacks of HG copies exist is no secret, but it's pretty apparent that these are now a factor, and that copies are consistently siphoned off towards a CGC graded sale. Over the next few years, I expect the census numbers to continue growing.

I'll say this one more time: The only 1970's and above Key issue I have NEVER seen in mass quantities is Iron Man 55, which is due to the incredible length of time between publication and key-issue identification.

I knew you'd have a comment to offer on this that was going to sound alarming. I don't think its fair to say such a small increase in 9.8 181 totals suggests anything of the sort. That's just speculation... (the other kind). It also happens to be dead WRONG.

I know the FACTS however, and can inform you with all certainty that the last (3) 181's that were graded 9.8 were NOT from any such stash/hoard, nor leaked slowly into the market. All 3 were from separate submissions. I know 2 of the fortunate submitters very well personally and also know how/when they were obtained and from what sources. The most recent I don't (yet), but I know it was not from any stash anyone else had that produced a 9.8 so far.

A brief accounting for (2 of the 3) 9.8 181's is as follows: The first was a harshly graded 9.6 that justly received the nod upon resubmission about 6 months ago. It is a stunning copy quite frankly with perfect centering, sharp corners and VERY deep color. The other was located by a very capable "gem-hunter" at a convention of all places. It is actually superior structurally to the previously mentioned copy, but has a slight angled miswrap. I know the source from which it was obtained and I'm confident he does not have a stash of 181s.

I did some research in my travels and also know that the previous 2 existing copies were also from separate sources. I also have a decent understanding of how they came to be, who had them graded and when... and who owns them now. In short, I know where 4 of the 5 copies are and their history.

I'm not saying there are not small stashes out there because common sense would suggest there would have to be. The quailty/condition of these stashes is the real question. Unbeknownst to most of you a small stash was acquired in the recent past from a collection that was sitting. The original owner and buyer expected very high grades... and have been quite disappointed. I have to believe the best of the lot were selected and submitted first.

Now I didn't have to offer that at all and give you even a little something to jump on to support your remarks, but in all fairness I'd rather give out an accurate accounting of what I know, even if it doesn't help my position. The fact that the best of this small HG stash yielded very average results is an indication that even a multiple copy find may not end up being all that (certainly not guranteed 9.6/9.8's). A 9.8 still remains a very difficult grade to acquire whether it be one lovingly handled copy or a small stack of 10 grabbed of the racks.

Its logical to conclude that there will be other multiple copy finds and the "rumors" you passed on may indeed come to pass some day... who really knows, but this time you'll have to stand corrected as far as the 9.8 181's are concerned... unless of course you feel this post was fiction.

ps... kimik, I guess I'm not quite through grin.gif I shoulda' known Vince was going to say something I needed to respond to.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not saying there are not small stashes out there because common sense would suggest there would have to be. The quailty/condition of these stashes is the real question.

The fact that the best of this small HG stash yielded very average results is an indication that even a multiple copy find may not end up being all that (certainly not guranteed 9.6/9.8's). A 9.8 still remains a very difficult grade to acquire whether it be one lovingly handled copy or a small stack of 10 grabbed of the racks.

I agree with both of these statements. Speaking from personal experience, being a long time hoarder and collecter of the highest grade copies I could find of certain 70's books, I have yet to obtain a CGC 9.8 grade. Some of the highest quality books I have sent in from my 'stashes' have yielded quite a number of 9.6's but no 9.8's. frown.gif

So I would be very surprised if too many more 9.8's appear from any of the BA key stashes. I do expect the 9.4/9.6 numbers to continue to rise steadily though.

I'm not saying there are not small stashes out there because common sense would suggest there would have to be. The quailty/condition of these stashes is the real question.

The fact that the best of this small HG stash yielded very average results is an indication that even a multiple copy find may not end up being all that (certainly not guranteed 9.6/9.8's). A 9.8 still remains a very difficult grade to acquire whether it be one lovingly handled copy or a small stack of 10 grabbed of the racks.

I agree with both of these statements. Speaking from personal experience, being a long time hoarder and collecter of the highest grade copies I could find of certain 70's books, I have yet to obtain a CGC 9.8 grade. Some of the highest quality books I have sent in from my 'stashes' have yielded quite a number of 9.6's but no 9.8's. frown.gif

So I would be very surprised if too many more 9.8's appear from any of the BA key stashes. I do expect the 9.4/9.6 numbers to continue to rise steadily though.

Agreed... no question really. As should all keys produced when grabbing extra copies became more commonplace. Whether or not they surface in such numbers to meet/overtake demand is the real question that remains to be seen.

Thanks for sharing your experience Lee. Our mutual Iron Fist 1 (& 14) experiment supports this too. I was really hoping your projected pre-graded 9.8's would emerge from your collection as CGC 9.8's for both of our sakes... and that's a later book too!... and a #1. That one defies logic. Still only (1) 9.8 Iron Fist #1???

There may be hoards of Hulk 181s, but the few 9.8s aren't from them. You want a semi-key that I NEVER see in high grade? Batman 300. NEVER EVER EVER see it in high grade. Black cover, silly book.

Ill check tomorrow. I checked on FF 167. nothing above 8.5-9.0 grrrr

As to Hulk 181, I've honestly witnessed a short box (75-100 copies??) years ago with what looked like all 7.5's to a few 9.4's. I've seen stacks but I could never say stacks above 9.4.

I'm not a DC hater at all... never was. Just liked Marvel better. I liked more DC than you think, just not the top-tier heroes. Well... I Iiked Batman after Miller got ahold of him, but not as much prior except maybe an occassional World's Finest or 100 pager.

I liked Warlord, Jonah Hex, Superboy and the Legion, Firestorm, Creeper, Swampthing, Ragman, some of the Horror stuff for starters.

I just couldn't get into the DC Mainstream titles when I first started enjoying comics and it carried over...

Superman: the most powerful guy in the universe that always gets his arse kicked (or was outwitted) by inferior multi-colored, balding opponents and whose identity is protected by glasses?

Wonder Woman: Invisible plane? Identity protected by glasses and a different hairstyle? Why wasn't the whole island's worth of women an Amazonian war machine against crime, especially in world threatening encounters?

Batman (before Miller) NO powers (opposite of Superman) BUT could punch villains as hard and never was hit by bullets?, even without enhanced speed or flight to at least give it some credibility?

Flash; Liked him the best of these 4... actually bought some of these. I remember a cover with a yellow and red flash very clearly and the day I bought it at a flea market. Red 20¢...Flash was pretty cool.

keep in mind these were primarily adoloscent formed first-impression opinons that carried over and made me avoid them. I found Marvel characters more believeable and easier to identify with... real cities too, not fake ones.

That does look familiar as hell, but I don't remember GL and thought I remember a red 20¢..maybe on the left? Wasn't reverse-flash on several more covers than this? I don't want you to spend all this time on my account, but I'm not so sure this is the one. Cool though!

That does look familiar as hell, but I don't remember GL and thought I remember a red 20¢..maybe on the left? Wasn't reverse-flash on several more covers than this? I don't want you to spend all this time on my account, but I'm not so sure this is the one. Cool though!
Oh...I have all my DCs within easy reach! Today is my productive day for posting informative information! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif