• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE PQ IS WHITE....WHAT'S THE QP?

142 posts in this topic

Is a CGC 9.4 with Offwhite pages in better " condition " than a CGC 9.4 with White pages?

If you're asking whether CGC downgrades more for the off-white pages than the white pages at the 9.4 level, then I'm 80% sure the answer is no. If you're asking which one is more desirable, I believe the answer is clear!

If two books are identical in every way except one has OW pages, and the other WHITE......will CGC grade them the same?

In theory, if what Steve and Mark told me is correct...YES! tonofbricks.gif

Is a CGC 9.4 with Offwhite pages in better " condition " than a CGC 9.4 with White pages?

If you're asking whether CGC downgrades more for the off-white pages than the white pages at the 9.4 level, then I'm 80% sure the answer is no. If you're asking which one is more desirable, I believe the answer is clear!

If two books are identical in every way except one has OW pages, and the other WHITE......will CGC grade them the same?

In theory, if what Steve and Mark told me is correct...YES! tonofbricks.gif

So PQ is NOT factored into the grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's the idea. It's already come into play with cards.

In a roundabout way...

i-1.JPG

Note the dual grade.

One for the card condition. Another for the quality (eye appeal) of the autograph.

Now to break it down a little more...

i-2.JPG

Note the grade breakdown.

Grades are given for each category of Centering, Edges, Corners, Surface.

The main things used to grade the quality of a baseball card.

The card's grade is determined by an average of these four grades.

I think they round down to get the overall grade. Never round up.

At least I think that's how they do it.

I know grading a comic is tougher and a lot more complicated.

But it would still be something that I would want.

A breakdown in the grade and perhaps a secondary grade giving an eye appeal (or at least QP) of the comic.

Being in the biz, I have a lot of quality standards that are looked at.

Some of which have been touched on in this thread.

Others haven't even been thought about.

I know it could get complicated for the grader, but I'd be more than happy to move to Florida and grade print quality. 27_laughing.gif

Let's attempt to deal with the issue of......

MISWRAP TO FC ( front cover for the newbies)

astarwars1.jpg

Since the book is square, and the staples are perfect.....

We can attempt to grade this ANGLED MISWRAP

At first glance......

I deduct .2 for the amount of white showing at the bottom of the spine, then another .1 for the fact that the miswrap is on an angle....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The top measures: 6 7/8" across

The bottom : 6 23/32"

That's 5/32" missing...

Someone did a bad job trimming , the book wasn't straight when cut.

Doesn't affect the story at all.

Nice reading copy... smirk.gif

*Looks closely*

The pages look "normal" along the top. Hanging out a tiny but like they should.

But the trimming area (starting about 1/4 of the way down the book) the pages are even with the covers.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Edit: Perhaps this scan belongs in a restoration thread and not a QP thread.

Enough confusion around here... foreheadslap.gif

PQ not factored into grade.. hmmm.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Okay, may be CGC doesn't factor it into the grade.. but should they?

Let's take the most extreme example I can think of. The example I keep reading is a very UN-extreme example.. white pages to off-white pages.

How about this one: Two copies of a book. Identical.. but..

One has white pages. The other has BROWN pages!

The latter book is perfect, just like the book with the white pages.. of course, until you actually *handle* it and it crumbles into dust from brittleness.

*Should* the page quality count?

White verses off-white.. may be not. Even cream's not so bad. But when you start getting in the tan to brown area.. may be.

Charlie

PQ not factored into grade.. hmmm.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Page quality IS factored into the grade, although perhaps not to the degree some people would like. Highest grade I've heard of with "slightly brittle" pages is 7.0; I don't think they use the "brown" descriptor.

While we're on the topic, quick question:

How do you (or how does CGC) grade the page quality when it varies?

Can I assume it's the worst?

For example, the pages are cream around the edges but off-white in the center-- is that considered "cream"? or is that "cream to off-white"?

Also, where does the whiteness factor of the inside covers come in? Does it affect the PQ, or the grade?

(I have a few old Strange Tales with tanning inside covers but fairly nice pages and outside covers.)

Charlie

cream to off-white is cream to off-white. They'll give out cr/ow up to the 9.8 grade, but Borock told greggy at a forum dinner that they won't give cream pages any higher than 9.2.

They downgrade for tanning separately. Rather severely sometimes, depending on how bad it is, although I've seen them give the 9.6 grade if the tanning is very minor. Tanning is advanced deterioration of the pages, almost as bad as brittle pages sometimes. I've got one or two Silver Age books that have tanning up top and the paper is slightly stiff and would break off if I tried to bend it.