• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

80's Toys, Video games etc.....Any collectors on here?

60 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, how do you know whether a video game cartridge has it's original shrinkwrap? What's to keep dealers from taking a used game with a box in nice shape and re-shrinkwrapping it? Is there a trick to recognizing the original packaging or one that's been re-wrapped?

Ah yes, the reseal issue. Sealed NES games have three seals:

the horizontal seam on the back:

ghost1.jpg

and the two vertical seams, one on each side:

ghost1b.jpg

It's harder than you would think replicate that as your average home or office shrinkwrap machine will only make 1 or 2 seams instead of three.

It's something you do have to watch out for, just like restored comics, but I'm starting to feel pretty good about my ability to tell them apart. If you've seen enough genuine seams, you start to get a feel for the idiosyncracies of a genuine seam. There are other little tricks you can use but I won't bore anybody. If anyone wants to know other things you can look for, PM me.

Hehe... but it was!! I remember my brother similarly scraped together the $250 to buy a colecovision back in the day, and I could not believe that anything in the world could be so damn cool as being able to play Time Pilot at home!!!

Yes, Atari....

In 1982, I mowed lawns, saved allowance, and gradually scraped the $275 ooo.gif together to buy an Atari, and thought that Combat was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.....

I got mine in 1981 or 1982, I forget...

I got my dad to pay half as I promised it would keep me out of arcades for ever...

For some bizar reason my dad STILL plays the original machine we bought back then... He mails me frequently with a new high score for Centipede or Space Invaders...He also visists antique fairs and yard sales to find the original controllers as he tends to break one every year or two...

We bought a Colecovision as well.....

By that time, my little brothers were able to help with the allowance scraping. grin.gif We played Donkey Kong for hours on end.

I remember Time Pilot as well... a thumb blistering experience!

As far as I can tell, the 80's had some of the best toys/entertainment(I'm biased of course). And many have now evolved, and are growing into serious hobbies. Toys like Transformers and G.I Joe are starting to bring in the bucks as the 80's kids are beginning to come into their own, financially. Likewise with video games.

I know Dan(Bronty) is quite a serious factory-sealed NES collector.

I myself have started with high grade MOC G.I Joes from 1982-1986, and as much as I love S.A comics, the nostalgia factor is what gets me collecting.

So anyone else here collect any 80's toys or memorabilia, or plan to in the future?

Well Andrew... more 70's for me. One of the first things I searched for when I finally hooked up to the internet and joined eBay was "Rock'em Sock'em" robots. I found a few originals for $35 and up. I didn't buy one at the time, but last X-mas found that they brought them back for only $9.99! I bought one for myself and my brother whose but (neck) I would beat repeatedly because one of the guys (red) I think was better than the other. insane.gif

I as well, but I never had any villains. So the scenario was always 2 heroes fighting due to some misunderstanding... only to make up and shake hands after they kicked the crud out of one another.

said Iron Man: "sorry Hulk, I thought you were with those invisible bad guys"

grin.gif