• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB TMNT Art

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys...looking for some TMNT art- early comics, later comics, just about anything...do you all have anything you'd be willing part with? Know of any sites other eastmans and the limited on CAF? Thnx!

Yea, I had been there...some nice art on there...thnx for the info though...I know tmnt art is pretty hard to come by (esp. the early stuff) but I figured someone(s) here might know of some other nook or crannie where there might be some...

Yep early stuff is very tough to come by...I tried for a year with no luck.

I managed to buy this page from Kevin himself 5 months ago...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

Best of luck to you on the search. smile.gif

-Hart

Yeah - that's some of the stuff from heavymetal.com . Its great stuff and its pretty cool to know that you're getting it from the proverbial "source". I've bought a good deal of my TMNT pages from there.

Most of the early stuff is locked up in collections or in the hands of family members. Its a tough search, but its worth it.

Yep early stuff is very tough to come by...I tried for a year with no luck.

I managed to buy this page from Kevin himself 5 months ago...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

Best of luck to you on the search. smile.gif

-Hart

I've seen that on CAF...very , very nice piece you got there...

And yea, I'll probably see what I can get off of metaltv and ebay..thnx guys

You are correct that Turtles art is scarce. Most of the early stuff that's out there was either sold by Eastman & Laird in 1985-86 when they were on tour across the U.S. or the pages were given away to freinds, family and fans and were consequently sold. Here's the info. I have on the early art:

- As most know, Issue #1 was just sold complete by Eastman for $250k

- The prelims for the first 20 pages of issue #1 were sold through Heritage a few years back. Not all the pages sold however.

- Rumor is that issue #2 is complete and is in Laird's possession

- Pages from issue #3 were sold along with various pieces of ad art and sketches on those early tours (I've seen 5-6 pages surface from issue #3)

- Pages from issue #4-11 are a little scarcer, but are out there. I think I've seen between 1-4 pages from all issues except for #8. I assume some of these pages were sold during those early tours as well and some of these were given away as gifts.

- Pages from the one shots are even scarcer. I've seen four pages from Michelangelo, but I haven't seen pages from any of the other books

- Covers - Eastman traded the covers to issue #3 & 5 in the 80's for some Miller DD art. They have both surfaced. The cover to #1 was included in the package of #1 art. The cover to Donatello #1 recently surfaced. It looks like Mitch has (or will have) #11. And, I've heard rumors that other covers may be out there. None have sold on the open market however.

- Sketches - Skeches are the most common pieces of early art you'll find. Eastman and Laird did a lot of sketches between 1984-1988. These are usually still reasonably priced - so if you're looking for some early art, look for one of these.

Hope that helps for all those looking for early Turtles art! Anyone else have any info. to add?

If you're waiting for Turtles art to appear on eBay, you may be waiting a long time. Some early pages from issues #3, 5 & 7 recently appeared out of the collection of Steve Lavigne (Mirage's first employee), but they all sold within a couple hours using the BIN. In a normal year, you'd be lucky to find one early page pop up and you'd be heavily competing for it. I don't think more than 10 early pages have ever appeared on eBay since it began. Early pages also haven't shown up in auction. Only the pages from issue #1 ever appeared in an auction.