• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amy Grant vs. Marvel Comics lawsuit

39 posts in this topic

I came across this ebay item:

Dr Srange Sorcerer Supreme #15, Amy Grant lawsuit cover

Advertised as: "This comic caused a lawsuit between Amy Grant and Marvel Comics, because they used her likeness on the cover without her permission. Dr Strange Sorcerer Supreme #15."

Fascinating. I had never heard of this. So, a little research and ....

Los Angeles Times

April 9, 1990, Monday, P.M. Final

SECTION: Calendar; Part P; Page 8; Column 1; Late Final Desk

LENGTH: 159 words

HEADLINE: SHORT TAKES;

AMY GRANT SUES OVER COMIC

BYLINE: From Times Wire Services

DATELINE: NASHVILLE, Tenn.

BODY:

Gospel-pop singer Amy Grant is suing Marvel Comics to stop the use of what she says is her likeness on a comic book that features "occult subject matter."

She charges that a photograph from her 1986 album, "Amy Grant -- the Collection," was copied for the cover of the March 15 issue of "Dr. Strange Sorcerer Supreme." She filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court here.

"You'll see it's the spitting image," said her attorney, Mark Patterson.

Patterson said he'll ask for an injunction to stop distribution of that issue and will probably seek monetary damages.

The lawsuit charges that "Dr. Strange" features characters, story lines and artwork related to witchcraft, sorcery, science fiction and other fantasy, horror and occult subject matter.

"Many fans of Christian music consider interest in witchcraft and the occult to be antithetical to their Christian beliefs and to the message of Christian music in general," the lawsuit said.

BPI Entertainment News Wire

January 23, 1991, Wednesday

LENGTH: 436 words

HEADLINE: CountryPeople

BYLINE: By JEFF WOODS, Entertainment News Wire

DATELINE: NASHVILLE, Tenn.

DR. STRANGE: Gospel music star Amy Grant has settled her

lawsuit againt Marvel Comics for using her likeness on the cover of

an issue of Dr. Strange. Neither side released the terms of the

settlement. The suit accused Marvel of copying Grant's picture on

an album sleeve for use on the comic's cover. Grant agued that

Marvel hurt her reputation as a gospel singer by associating her

with a comic dealing with "witchcraft, sorcery, science fiction

and other fantasy, horror and/or occult subject matter."

Here's the cover for those who haven't seen it...

drstrange15.jpg

Joker--

You know, you now have to pay Amy Grant settlement fees for posting that image because Christian music fans will no doubtedly associate her with witchcraft and the occult.

893censored-thumb.gif Now, I will too just for quoting you with that image. Christo_pull_hair.gif

You know, you now have to pay Amy Grant settlement fees for posting that image because Christian music fans will no doubtedly associate her with witchcraft and the occult.

Now, I will too just for quoting you with that image.

sleeping.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

There was quite a bit of notoriety about this when it happened and we saw a slight spike in interest and prices.

The issues went from the quarter box to the dollar box!

27_laughing.gif

sleeping.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Overreacting.

sleeping.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Overreacting.

Called sarcasm stooges.gif

sleeping.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Overreacting.

Called sarcasm stooges.gif

Exactly thumbsup2.gif

werent you collecting then? doesnt seem that long ago... until I read the date!

ouch

17 years already!!!! I was just getting out of collecting right at that time while in law school (except for selling at one convention in 1990). I was never a Dr. Strange fan anyway so probably wouldn't have even noticed.

I suppose Marvel thought they could get away with a fair use argument but why even bother!!!! Geez, you'd think with a bunch of artists on your staff they could simply create the image of a woman they wanted who didn't exist!!! Or - gosh - ask for permission? yeahok.gif

ouch

17 years already!!!! I was just getting out of collecting right at that time while in law school (except for selling at one convention in 1990). I was never a Dr. Strange fan anyway so probably wouldn't have even noticed.

I suppose Marvel thought they could get away with a fair use argument but why even bother!!!! Geez, you'd think with a bunch of artists on your staff they could simply create the image of a woman they wanted who didn't exist!!! Or - gosh - ask for permission? yeahok.gif

hasn't stopped Greg Land.

ouch

hasn't stopped Greg Land.

Exactly thumbsup2.gif

I remember seeing a Dr. Strange cover from the late 60's (was it by Severin?) that uses the entire cover of a Pink Floyd album - Saucerful of Secrets, I think - along with other loving bits and pieces of then-current pop ephemera.

While I don't think Waters & Gilmour & Co. would care about being associated with the occult, I wonder if - 40 years on - we've become so childish and litigious as to make such a wonderful homage/collage unthinkable due to the danger of multiple lawsuits.

And - btw - Amy Grant is HOT!

Elvis and Beatles appearances experienced increases whenever their memorabilia markets bumped up. Is it too far a stretch to expect a small Amy Grant following to spring up?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have a short box of these that are going to put my kids through college.

BTW

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rue#Post1156978

Grant agued that Marvel hurt her reputation as a gospel singer by associating her with a comic dealing with "witchcraft, sorcery, science fiction

and other fantasy, horror and/or occult subject matter.

27_laughing.gif

wait...

27_laughing.gif

I'd never heard about that either. Is she still considered a Gospel singer?

I remember seeing a Dr. Strange cover from the late 60's (was it by Severin?) that uses the entire cover of a Pink Floyd album - Saucerful of Secrets, I think - along with other loving bits and pieces of then-current pop ephemera.

While I don't think Waters & Gilmour & Co. would care about being associated with the occult, I wonder if - 40 years on - we've become so childish and litigious as to make such a wonderful homage/collage unthinkable due to the danger of multiple lawsuits.

And - btw - Amy Grant is HOT!

Pink Floyd actually used a page from Strange Tales #158 on their cover to A Saucerful of Secrets, not the other way around:

pinkfloyd.jpg

Typical knee jerk right wing religous reaction. Funny how petty a thing people will argue and sue over. Anybody every read the story and have a synopsis? Does the cover relate to the stroy in any way?

R.