• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Transaction Gone Awry - opinions please

29 posts in this topic

I win an auction and it appears to be a great deal as far as the money paid and the contents. Seller claims it has been shipped but never reaches me. A long time passes and the seller, despite having claimed it was shipped, refunds my money out of "good customer service." I suspect that the seller decided to keep the item because he realized the true value of the items. Seller has great feedback.

Given all this, what kind of feedback would you give?

Hold off for a bit.....and see if the same books get listed again individually

I like this. Even if you don't see the books listed again, I would (and have)

not given any feedback. Consider it a wash.

Agreed. Just don't give any feedback at all.

Yup. I had a similar experience. Seller refunded money, I didn't leave any feedback as if the transaction never took place.

You guys are crazy! poke2.gif

For goodness sake, hit the guy with a non-performing seller complaint. Make him prove he shipped you something. He needs to have shipped it with delivery confirmation - I assume you paid with paypal?

Why would you let someone get away with that? If you win something they need to send it.

Don't leave feedback at all until it is settled. If it never gets settled, the only choice is between a neg, neutral, or not leaving one at all. I would probably choose the latter. Positive isn't even a choice! With the money back in your hands you have nothing to lose!

This is a ridiculous post. You automatically assume he never shipped it. Wow. Why on earth would be not ship the item? Especially if he gave the money back. Obviously he is not a scammer. Sometimes items don't get there. I have been doing ebay heavily since 1998, and have sent literally 10s of thousands of items. There is a problem with at least 1 in 100 packages that I have mailed. Either it doesn't arrive, or it arrives destroyed, or it takes 6 weeks to arrive. It is just a fact of using the postal service where machines sort and people deliver and mistakes and accidents happen. Has nothing to do with anything other than the simple volume of mail handled and the statistical probabilities of something happening.

I agree too.

This is a ridiculous post. You automatically assume he never shipped it. Wow. Why on earth would be not ship the item? Especially if he gave the money back. Obviously he is not a scammer. Sometimes items don't get there. I have been doing ebay heavily since 1998, and have sent literally 10s of thousands of items. There is a problem with at least 1 in 100 packages that I have mailed. Either it doesn't arrive, or it arrives destroyed, or it takes 6 weeks to arrive. It is just a fact of using the postal service where machines sort and people deliver and mistakes and accidents happen. Has nothing to do with anything other than the simple volume of mail handled and the statistical probabilities of something happening.

I would not say he is obviously not a scammer, in fact I think his suspicions have a very good chance of being correct.

The only time I ahve mailing problems is when I ship overseas. And things get there late, but they do get there.

In about 5000 US mailings I have never had a package lost. So if something does get lost , there is cause for suspicion.

However, without evidence you have to give the seller the benefit of the doubt here. No neg (yet), but certainly no positive.

Wow, great responses! All of you had wonderful points. The seller did not leave me feedback. Yes, I have been watching for individual sales of the items. Yes, I did pay with Paypal. I think, and your seggestions did help, the best option is to not leave any feedback at all.... for now. I will still monitor the seller closely and they did apologize several times. I just really wanted those items!!

Thanks!

Post closed.

Hi Dale, so if you won a FF 1 at say way below gpa and you never received it, you would not be bothered? The seller might not have got the price he hoped, but then that is his fault for not either having a reserve or ending the auction a day early, after all you are supposed to honour the auction.

herc

Mine is a ridiculous post? Yes, sure it is!

I would contend that if you have problems with 1 in 100 packages shipped domestically by USPS, you need to look in the mirror. I have shipped well over 1000 packages in the last 5 years or so, and have had only one package lost - one that was pretty clearly stolen after a delivery attempt was made. Every one of my packages have delivery confirmation, and well over half were insured - many without the buyer paying for it.

The eBay / Paypal rules are there for a reason. You are required by eBay to ship the item that was won to the winner. You are required by Paypal to send your packages with delivery confirmation. Why not hold the seller to that? My post suggests holding the seller to the rules they signed up to follow when the listed their items on eBay. How ridiculous is that? I would expect anyone who buys a book from me on eBay to hold me to the rules.

The statistics say that it is extremely unlikely to have a package lost. Common sense also says you should be suspicious anytime someone who supposedly has already shipped you items gives you the money back out of the blue. Especially someone who made a mistake and listed an item with a low starting price and no reserve.

You are a trusting soul.

I won an FF 112 for a ludicrous price from a new eBayer (new for the userid... he had several prior NARU'd accounts as it turned out). After saying he shipped it and it never arrived, he claimed it was lost (along with several other books that were won low by other buyers).

That said, I'd leave no feedback given that the seller returned his money without a hassle.

I don't go through life assuming my fellow man is inherently bad. You should try it. It makes life so much better!

Whether it was legitimately lost or he had seller remorse, you'll never know. As long as you got your money back, be happy and move on. If he kept your money, I would throw the book at him. My advice is, give the benefit of the doubt whenever you can. You may not get to capitalize on every opportunity for revenge, but your life is much less stressful. You may be letting a guilty person off easy, but you have the peace of mind knowing you'll never falsely accuse an innocent person. For me, that's more important.

Man, why are people so negative?

Sorry, I never should have characterized your post as ridiculous, even if that is what I felt.

BTW, I never said the 100 packages were shipped domestically. I would guess a good solid 20% of those packages is sent over seas. Domestically, I offer Media mail, first class and Priority. I ship only airmail (now priority) for international.

Great for you, if you want to pay for services that the buyer did not pay for. That is fine with me. I don't do it. I offer insurance on every package. If they choose not to purchase it, that is up to them. Let me ask you a question though. Why only half? Do you not care about half of your customers?

At least I am consistent. I give everyone a chance to purchase it. I don't charge extra, I just charge what the post office charges me.