• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would YOU change in Overstreet's prices?

22 posts in this topic

Since at least a few on this board are looking to fill out their

Overstreet Advisor Surveys... let's see if we can help them out!

Suppose you were also filling out your Overstreet Advisor Survey...

What prices would you change for the next issue?

What should go up?

What should go down?

Be SURE to list your supporting evidence... actual sales, prices, etc.

Anybody can claim that any book (especially the ones they own) should go up...

so back up your statements with "undeniable empirical evidence".

(Who knows how many "real" advisors might be reading this thread...) grin.gif

30 and 35 cent variants are stunningly underpriced - I can give a host of transactions.

Bronze Age Fantastic Fours are also underpriced relative to the other major Marvel titles of the time period - again, I can give a host of transactions.

Silver Age Marvels in mid-grade are overpriced, again, a host of transactions if needed.

Up:

Raw copies of Cerebus #1 authentic vg/vg+ selling on eBay for between $525-$600.

Crazy money for raw Albedo #2 vg/vg+ $200. Much more for Cgc'd copies. Usagi rulez. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Wizard should have a top 10 list tracking sealed NES game cartridge values. If Wizard promotes it, the sheep $$$$ will follow. sorry.gif

I move to wipe all traces of Valiant comics off of Overstreet's pages to make room for more worthy comics, like Undergrounds... tongue.gif

and you can bet that's going, verbatim, into my OS Advisor survey tongue.gif

Ha! That's a good one.

Valiant's entire universe is maybe two Overstreet pages. I doubt if you can list many

Undergrounds on two pages. You should wipe away all traces of Image first. grin.gif

Plus, I can think of at least a couple Valiant books that actually deserve better listings...

...like this one. 893whatthe.gif

I'd like to see comics priced below cover if they truly are worth below cover. How many books list in OS for $1 or more and we all know you can find them in bargain bins for a quarter every day of the week in every comic store in the country?

i think more room should be made for better explanation on valuable books by reducing any comic title that sells for cover or less to be so noted, not broken out. Does darkhawk, night thrasher, blaze, any malibu book, any milestone book, etc etc need to be broken doen, just note - cover price or less Please!

Fines need to be closer to VG in pricing

Silver ASM #16-118 needs to come down in Good-Fine

Early warren's, especially Creepy #1 have to come down. All warehouse find copies need to be dropped & noted. Non warehouse issues need to go up, A LOT! its very out of whack!

and a pet peeve for years, in the hall of fame section, why is HOS#! listed, but nor HOM#1 ???

HOM is the LONGEST running horror comic of all time & DC's 1st horror comic and yet it doesn't make the cut???

Overstreet prices should go up or down in response to the actual market, and not be artificially smoothed to maintain industry liquidity.

Then again, I'm assuming a change to an actual Price Guide format, and away from the Dealer's "Buy at 50% Guide" Valuation book that Overstreet has always been.

Overstreet prices should go up or down in response to the actual market, and not be artificially smoothed to maintain industry liquidity.

Then again, I'm assuming a change to an actual Price Guide format, and away from the Dealer's "Buy at 50% Guide" Valuation book that Overstreet has always been.

No doubt... Overstreet should be a reflection of the actual market.

However, before the advent and explosion of eBay... only the biggest books

were changing hands at "market prices" in public venues.

There have been two MAJOR shifts in the comic book industry in the past 5 years.

1) eBay - where the biggest and smallest books sell publicly for "fair market value"

The most important aspect of eBay is that the buyer and seller

see 100% of market price, or at least "market price that week".

The buyer is paying 100% of the "fair market value" to obtain the book.

(Even if the buyer is a dealer, they're paying 100% of market value.)

The seller is receiving 100% of "fair market value".

Average prices on eBay must be considered as the "fair market value"...

Try to name another market this large, with prices determined by the market itself.

2) CGC - third-party grading for (mainly) online/remote transactions.

Love them or hate them... there's no debating the effect of a blue label on the prices

possible for any grade of comic book. Any issue from any age can now

change hands with 98% certainty about the comic's condition (and restoration).

To date, Overstreet has largely ignored both of these MAJOR shifts, however,

it's apparent that times are changing. While the guide still focuses on advisor input,

(and how many advisors can honestly say they actually deal in even 1% of Overstreet books?)

Overstreet will be hard-pressed to justify prices which are not even close to the

high visibility, public, repeatable eBay actual results.

There's definitely no easy answer to the "CGC Multiples of Guide" situation...

especially when those multiples can vary greatly from book to book...

it's probably a bigger question to ask whether ungraded Overstreet prices

are appropriate when raw books (even NM ones) rarely sell near 100% of guide.

There is obviously a "great divide" between raw books and graded books,

even when the books (including condition) are identical.

The good news is... coins and cards have already been down this road...

so there is knowledge to be gained from other collectible markets.

Since neither eBay or CGC is going away anytime soon...

Overstreet should really consider "taking the market's word for value"...

as opposed to the word of dealers who are, understandably, looking out for #1.

Savage Tales # 1 is definitely underpriced by far considering its Manthing, Conan stories and other key appearances as well as hard to find in high grade due to oversize comic magazine. Should be in the $ 600 range. Also, Savage Tales 2 thru 5 are underpriced.

Savage Sword of Conan # 1, 4, and 5 are underpriced.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been far underpriced for years. Should be up in the 2 grand range.

Hello Shiverbones,

I also hold a high grade Savage Tales # 1. Was wondering. How long did it take you to find one in high grade. I waited about 1 Year of watching vgs and fine multiples of this book pass by on ebay and at shows till I found a nice one. Did you wait long? Just wondering cause It may give us some idea as to rarity?

Good collecting, Jeff

Hey Spartacus, i lucked into my copy. I was in a local shop that hasn't touched inventory in 10-15 years or more in some cases. Mostly they have common things, but i found a box of mags, mostly beat up 50's mads, but in the back they had some marvel mags, i picked up a VF-NM vampire tales #1 for $3, a NM- monsters unleashed #2 for $3.00, and a NM- Savage Tales #1 for $50. The ST was in a mylar snug, so it kept it really fresh, and it was buried so no light was hitting it. I picked it up about a year ago, maybe 16 months. I was looking for it because i was putting a man thing run together, and that mag always evaded me in nice shape (and always i mean 10 solid years!), so i was exstatic! Speaking of tough in high grade & man thing...try finding his 2nd appearance (with art by neal dams) in Astonishing tales #12! Same black cover problem as spotlight #5 & amazing adventures#11, & hero for hire #1, but no one ever cared about a kazar book, mid run issue! The best i could find in 4 years of looking was a VFNM until i won the CGC western penn 9.4 last month.