• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KILLING JOKE vs. DARK KNIGHT RETURNS

111 posts in this topic

The last six months or so has seen a rapid escalation in prices, for unknown reasons. It's moving so fast now that most die-hard comic collectors are already priced out.

H-

Have you known anything that increases exponentially forever in a straight line? Aside from the expansion of the universe, etc.

Have you known anything financial that travels up in a straight line? And what usually follows a rapid price escalation of speculative items?

Just some food for thought. I'm not predicting anything, because I've only been collecting over the last six months and I don't have the breadth of perspective that others do.

But I feel like I'm right in the cross hairs, and for some reason, I don't feel all that comfortable here right now.

- A

Have you known anything financial that travels up in a straight line?

Sure, lots of things. Unless there was some dip that I'm unaware of, Action #1 and Detective #27 have traveled in continuous straight lines up for almost 70 years now. Some things travel in straight lines for a long time, some not so long. The trick is to figure out when it's going to stop traveling in a straight line. Getting off the train too early can often be just as bad as getting off too late.

Sure, lots of things. Unless there was some dip that I'm unaware of, Action #1 and Detective #27 have traveled in continuous straight lines up for almost 70 years now.

By "straight lines", I think he's referring to (near-)VERTICAL straight lines, as in when the price suddenly goes parabolic/exponential. When you hear of fine art masterpieces selling for 8 figures after the owner bought them for a pittance several decades ago, you usually find that the compounded annual growth rate is actually not as high as you might think (usually in the 20-something percent range - but, such is the power of compounding).

When you see sudden bursts of price escalation, like we've seen in certain comic art, that are way beyond even that kind of elevated level (resulting in short-term parabolic price performance), it is rarely sustainable for long (certainly not for 7 years, let alone 7 decades). History is rife with examples of where such episodes ended very, very badly for reasons that were unforeseen by many/most at the time. hm

That said, I'm not sure that anyone paying $30k for a Killing Joke page is buying with investment potential in mind.

The trick is to figure out when it's going to stop traveling in a straight line. Getting off the train too early can often be just as bad as getting off too late.

I would argue that the opportunity cost of missed gains is very rarely "just as bad" as suffering the pain of real, actual, money-gone-from-your-pocket losses.

My collecting mantra has always been, "Buy what you love and chances are that someone else will too."

It's worked out well so far.

Even though someone is probably going to pay 30K for a KJ page...I'm sure they are buying what they love or else they wouldn't be paying that much for it.

The trick is to figure out when it's going to stop traveling in a straight line. Getting off the train too early can often be just as bad as getting off too late.

I would argue that the opportunity cost of missed gains is very rarely "just as bad" as suffering the pain of real, actual, money-gone-from-your-pocket losses.

Must...resist...getting...into...long...drawn-out...debate...with...Gene!

Must...resist...getting...into...long...drawn-out...debate...with...Gene!

Funny.... !

I'm sorry if this info is already in the thread but in next weekend's big Heritage auction there is a real nice KJ page up. Batman kicking the Joker's a**.

I'm sorry if this info is already in the thread but in next weekend's big Heritage auction there is a real nice KJ page up. Batman kicking the Joker's a**.

I can confirm that even the most cursory glance at this thread would've shown that the info is already in the thread.

Over 31K w/juice w/time left...what was the final tally??

Live auction is tomorrow on this piece.

C

Wow...I'm going to guess that crushed even the most bullish estimates. I'd love to see what the cover would fetch.

Why don't you ask the owner? http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=190432&GSub=29892&GCat=0&UCat=0

I'd like to know myself. Of course, no one in their right mind would let go of this piece unless they were really hurting for money.