• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KILLING JOKE vs. DARK KNIGHT RETURNS

111 posts in this topic

Agree, Killing Joke was not one of Moore's best efforts (that would be Miracleman), but still a great Joker story. Disagree with you on the Supreme comment. You might want to go for a re-read on that one. grin.gif

Now, back on topic....personally, I'd prefer a KJ page as I think Bolland is at his absolute best in that book (and Bolland is always better than 95% of the other artists out there). I got the 1st print for Xmas one year (I must've been 14 or 15). I remember thinking how awesome the art was. I'd never seen a better looking Batman. I read DKR around that same time, and it was probably over my head at that point. Subsequent re-readings have vaulted this book up very high on my list.

Love Miller's art in that one. Probably my favorite stuff he did (or at least one par with the Wolvie mini and his DD run). And, you're right, some of the splashes in there are phenomenal. Just classic images (I mentioned in the other thread that the cover to #1 might be my favorite Batman image).

Still, I've got a stronger nostalgia for the KJ. Does anyone do a better Joker than Bolland? And the page where Batman is busting thru the mirrors to get to the Joker just kicks arse.

For me, the story was better in Dark Knight. The art is quite nice as well, but the originals are not always that "clean". Some of the pages appear cluttered, lots of words and paste-ups, many/most pages are yellowed, and many have been reworked during the production process. So, visually, they are a little less impressive sometimes.

Killing Joke pages are 100% immaculate. I have not seen a less than perfect example. Bolland was meticulous, absolutely NO mistakes, and his version of Batman and Joker are my favorite. Story wasn't as good as DK, but can you really compare a 46 page book to a 4-issue miniseries?

Long term potential goes to DK due to historic significance and Miller's rising popularity mainstream, but we 80s fanboys are pushing up the KJ market for now. My suspicion is that DK prices will continue to rise over time (especially the primo pages), while KJ will likely stabilize and then perhaps drop somewhat over the next 5-10 years. This only makes sense, as KJ is driven more by nostalgia than significance, while DK is driven by both.

Because I'm more into art, KJ wins overall for me. And, as others mentioned, the rarity issue is a factor. That being said, I agree with the post that a DK splash trumps ALL! Except, perhaps, the KJ scene/splash where Joker is 'born'. I have the page before that splash, so if anyone knows where the Joker splash is, I'm the guy for it!

Except, perhaps, the KJ scene/splash where Joker is 'born'. I have the page before that splash, so if anyone knows where the Joker splash is, I'm the guy for it!

hail.gif One of the coolest panels ever.....

242074309_240f3ad03b_o.png

Except, perhaps, the KJ scene/splash where Joker is 'born'. I have the page before that splash, so if anyone knows where the Joker splash is, I'm the guy for it!

hail.gif One of the coolest panels ever.....

242074309_240f3ad03b_o.png

Yup, that's the one! thumbsup2.gif

<snip>

To me, these are the best of Moore's works. KJ is not up there. But it is much better than that *spoon* that Moore put out on Supreme! It is also, in my estimation, better than alot of his other efforts, Tom Strong, Top 10 (which I really, really like, but it is just a different kind of book) and Promethea (which I wanted to really like, but after about seven issues, had no idea what the book was about anymore).

- A

BLASPHEMY! grin.gif Alan Moore's Supreme run was legendary.

Behold the Original Art Gallery Supreme and the Sketch Gallery Supreme

Of course you shoud continue to spread that blasphemy so that I can pick up Supreme Original art at reasonable prices.

And before anyone asks, I won't be going after the Alex Ross Supreme painting on ebay. Even if I sell all my Supreme pages I won't be able to buy it! foreheadslap.gif

Malvin

Malvin -

Oh my God! No matter what I do on these boards I can't stop insulting or offending you! Just my bad luck I guess! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey, look, you have a rocking Supreme gallery, but, other than you, I was the other person who read some issues of Supreme, and I guess statistically, it was destined not to be to my tastes since you were already predestined to be "the guy who loved Supreme." So, you'll have no competition on the Supreme original art from me. thumbsup2.gif

By the way, that Ross Supreme cover is the one great Supreme contriubtion to society. You should sell your whole collection (as well as some of your neighbor's possessions) to get it. It rocks!

Best.

- A

Malvin -

Oh my God! No matter what I do on these boards I can't stop insulting or offending you! Just my bad luck I guess! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey, look, you have a rocking Supreme gallery, but, other than you, I was the other person who read some issues of Supreme, and I guess statistically, it was destined not to be to my tastes since you were already predestined to be "the guy who loved Supreme." So, you'll have no competition on the Supreme original art from me. thumbsup2.gif

By the way, that Ross Supreme cover is the one great Supreme contriubtion to society. You should sell your whole collection (as well as some of your neighbor's possessions) to get it. It rocks!

Best.

- A

Thanks for the compliments. I love my Supreme collection, howeverI know that any money I sink into it is money I won't get back since Supreme is such a niche collecting focus. I am glad that no one else likes it, as I said, it keeps the prices reasonable.

The Alex Ross Supreme cover went for 3K. Its nice, but there is a reason my I collect Supreme and not KJ or DKR pages, I can't afford 3K (and we all know KJ/DKR is an order of magnitude pricier)

Lets hope that after I amass a complete Supreme collection, the public will realize what a literary masterpiece Alan Moore's Run on Supreme are and my pages approach KJ/DRK money grin.gif

Malvin

HEADS UP!!! This Just In.

It's not too late to get your bids in. Theres only 22 days left before floor bidding.

Brian Bolland - Batman: The Killing Joke, page 32 Original Art (DC, 1988). ...

still available on the Heritage Galleries:

2007 Vintage Comics Signature Auction - Baltimore, MD. Auction #825.

Only at the bargain price of $19,120 (includes buyer's premium).

Good Luck!

HEADS UP!!! This Just In.

It's not too late to get your bids in. Theres only 22 days left before floor bidding.

Brian Bolland - Batman: The Killing Joke, page 32 Original Art (DC, 1988). ...

still available on the Heritage Galleries:

2007 Vintage Comics Signature Auction - Baltimore, MD. Auction #825.

Only at the bargain price of $19,120 (includes buyer's premium).

Good Luck!

Now $23,900. The price escalation on pages from this book over the last few years has been unbelievable.

Now $23,900. The price escalation on pages from this book over the last few years has been unbelievable.

I looked at heritage and I see $19k with $22.7k incl BP as the current bid....

Although I have no doubt it will hit that next bid to nearly $24k.

Still a nice WOW number.

Chris

Still a nice WOW number.

Chris

You're right. I was looking at the "next bid" number by accident. Still impressive, as you say.

Still a nice WOW number.

Chris

You're right. I was looking at the "next bid" number by accident. Still impressive, as you say.

Hari, pick up your phone..

C