• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KILLING JOKE vs. DARK KNIGHT RETURNS

111 posts in this topic

Closed at $35,353,50 (with juice).

Makes you wonder - between the buyer and the seller, who's the smart one? :P

hm

You're right Kevin. Crappy KJ pages now start at 25K. We have entered a new age of stupidity folks.

Sort of like the Ditko ASM market. All of a sudden, killer pages are 35K and the rest go up with the tide. That being said, I dare you to find a "crappy" KJ page in person. I've seen the so-called mediocre pages, and in many instances they're more spectacular from an art standpoint than the ones with Bats/Joker. In fact, the very last page that Brian Bolland had held onto was one of the flashback bar scenes without Batman or Joker (although it had the young comedian pre-Joker all over it).

Oh, and I didn't win it. I was prepared to go to 30K, and would have gone higher if I didn't already have examples. Plus, been spending too much lately!

Got another "small" art day coming up later today or tomorrow.

See ya,

Ok, I think Kirby is way too cheap after this.

Clem...

Kirby's been moving back up pretty fast, too! But, not everything, just the primo stuff. Kirby did so much work that most of it cannot possibly go up to the same degree as, say, his Sinnott-inked FF run.

I'm surprised at the prices that lower-end Kirby stuff is getting these days. Then again, what isn't amazing about the prices that we're seeing across the board in work up through the 80s. How far can this go? At some point I have to think that people are going to want to sell to take advantage of these prices. Maybe not a crash, but an increased supply that will keep prices level.

Hari; I have to disagree with you here. Everything and I mean everything Kirby has skyrocketed in price. Look at recent Machine Man pages, western pages, skymasters, pencil pieces, small art and large art Thor, just too many to name. In fact, his prime stuff may be going up at a slower rate than everything else. It's been a lot easier for a formerly $150 Machine Man page to go to $650 than a Kirby/Sinnott FF twice up page to climb that %. We'd be paying 30k for those pages if this were true. Yes, the prime stuff has really climbed dollar amount wise, but just saying it's all been going up, up up! It's not just a few collectors at the top leading this market. Every comic art collector on the planet new and old has suddenly decided they need at least one Kirby example, no matter what level they are at..... trust me, I've talked to each and every one of them.... ;)

Clem...

Kirby's been moving back up pretty fast, too! But, not everything, just the primo stuff. Kirby did so much work that most of it cannot possibly go up to the same degree as, say, his Sinnott-inked FF run.

But as ART NEWS asked in regards to "real world" artwork: Are you looking at the artwork...or the prices?

I love Kirby's work; but I don't love all of it. I don't think most people love EVERYTHING any artist has done. (Well, maybe the artist's Mom loves every single scribble.) While I'd love the right piece -- show me a page withThor, FF, one of the classic Marvel heroes -- I wouldn't drop a C-note on a Machine Man page.

Unless it was for resale.

Kirby's price range is climbing, absolutely, but how many people are jumping aboard that particular express because of the ever-escalating prices for his work? How many are buying a page that delights them because of the artwork on it?

No doubt that you must've been really thrilled with the hammer price on this one, Hari; even if you didn't win.

That's an amazing price.

Hey,

Others have told me that, and I guess I should be happy since pages are now worth quite a bit more. I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to get any KJ page for anything less than 25K now, and the good ones will be 30K+. But, the fact of the matter is that I have little intention of ever selling or trading them. So, then, does it really matter what they're worth?

Hari; I have to disagree with you here. Everything and I mean everything Kirby has skyrocketed in price. Look at recent Machine Man pages, western pages, skymasters, pencil pieces, small art and large art Thor, just too many to name. In fact, his prime stuff may be going up at a slower rate than everything else. It's been a lot easier for a formerly $150 Machine Man page to go to $650 than a Kirby/Sinnott FF twice up page to climb that %. We'd be paying 30k for those pages if this were true. Yes, the prime stuff has really climbed dollar amount wise, but just saying it's all been going up, up up! It's not just a few collectors at the top leading this market. Every comic art collector on the planet new and old has suddenly decided they need at least one Kirby example, no matter what level they are at..... trust me, I've talked to each and every one of them.... ;)

Clem...

Hi Dan,

I must admit that I haven't been following the Machine Man market ;)

Although I have no doubt that people will start to list their KJ pages at 25K, I dont think they are going to move at that price unless it is halfway decent (at which point it won't be 25K). Like the DKR market, people are only shelling out this kind of dough for really nice images. I know where a few DKR pages are but refuse to buy them since there is no action on the pages at all (television screens, etc). Quality will continue to rise but c'mon are collectors going to shell out 25K for a page that they will ultimately want to upgrade?

Although I have no doubt that people will start to list their KJ pages at 25K, I dont think they are going to move at that price unless it is halfway decent (at which point it won't be 25K). Like the DKR market, people are only shelling out this kind of dough for really nice images. I know where a few DKR pages are but refuse to buy them since there is no action on the pages at all (television screens, etc). Quality will continue to rise but c'mon are collectors going to shell out 25K for a page that they will ultimately want to upgrade?

Hi Stephen,

I think the difference here is that there are only 46 pages for KJ, and many of them are locked up. So, yeah, people will pay what it takes because there is little to no chance of upgrading.... ever. And, unlike DK, there really are no "bad" KJ pages when you see them in person. With just 46 pages, each page is memorable and has meaning. Obviously, I'm a big fan of the book/story/art, so not everyone will see it my way. But, there are enough people who do, it seems.

Best,

Hari

Clem...

For the co creator of most of Marvels's flag ship characters. Kirby art has gone up and down (levelled out) like a yo yo. Partly due to the sheer amont of SA art that was dump on the market post Christopher. So while the likes of Byrne X-Men, Romita Sr ASM and later Ditko ASM and Miller DK sky rocketed. Kirby art has been held back by too much supply. But I am guessing with a growing market of Kirby collectors and the remains of the Christopher collection drying up we are now finally witnessing a price correction compared to those artist that I just mentioned. Large holdings of Kirby/Sinnott FF still remain with one collector and as long as that continues like Romita ASM, that period of FF will continue to hold and rise.The earlier period of FF is more spread out.

I feel Captain America and Thor is where there is scope to find top quality Kirby at a still affordable price (compared to $35K interiors i mean). Hulk (5 issues), X-Men (11 issues)& Avengers (8 issues) are scarce due to Jacks out put on those books and I fear will now be too expensive. There also seems to be a trend towards very early examples of these Heroes, but as I say nothing like the levels that this KJ page has set.

Clem...