• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help.. Is this considered OFF WHITE or WHITE? 1973

22 posts in this topic

I would think the age of the book would only be relative to what the original color of the paper was, no? Paper starts off more white these last couple decades, so it's a bit relative. But, pages were whiter than that back then. Unless my memory is failing me.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Looks off-white to me.

The OWL card is pretty useless, in my opinion--at least the one I have, which dates to the early 1990's. It doesn't even have "cream" on it, so I've never known exactly what that means. It goes from white to off-white to tan. Maybe it was updated?

The page looks consistant from edge to center, so whatever it is would be one designation, e.g., Off White or Cream.

It's really hard to tell from a photo because white can be inconsistant from monitor to monitor, but I would say Off White.

Bronze age pages were never snow white like the backing board, so even white pages aren't truly "white."

I'd have to say off-white as well. I think the designation "WHITE" probably just means that its just like "new", "as good as it gets", like it was when "right off the news stand," for just a general example. I agree with the one other comment; I dont think Bronze newsprint was ever actually *really* white, thats why I believe the designation "WHITE" just means, essentially new, or as good as it gets. I looked at a high grade Bronze warehouse copy in particular that I have and the pages are pretty white, but like the other guy said; not in the sense as like the backing board white. I dont know that they are ever that white, probably not exactly.

I dont know what CGC would give it though.

kind regards

Rob smile.gif

I'd say off-white. I guess the best advise I can give in terms of deciding between cream and off white pages is if it looks like a stick of margerine then it is cream. That's how I've been doing it and I haven't been wrong yet.

The page looks consistant from edge to center, so whatever it is would be one designation, e.g., Off White or Cream.

It's really hard to tell from a photo because white can be inconsistant from monitor to monitor, but I would say Off White.

Bronze age pages were never snow white like the backing board, so even white pages aren't truly "white."

Discard all of the other answers and stick with the Zip sumo.gif

Looks off-white to creamy by my guess. Just a little too shaded to be off-white.

I think there is some confusion regarding the OW/C or "mixed" designations.

These designations mean that the paper is one color in the center of the page and another as you get to the edge. For instance, the paper is cream around the edges and off white in the center area of the pages.

From reading the thread, I get the impression that some folks may think that the mixed designations are an "in-between" description. This is not correct.

Looks off-white to creamy by my guess. Just a little too shaded to be off-white.

I think there is some confusion regarding the OW/C or "mixed" designations.

These designations mean that the paper is one color in the center of the page and another as you get to the edge. For instance, the paper is cream around the edges and off white in the center area of the pages.

From reading the thread, I get the impression that some folks may think that the mixed designations are an "in-between" description. This is not correct.

Like I said . . . stick with the Zip! sumo.gif

"all thedude ever wanted, was a Superman #17 CGC or raw in 6.0-8.0, I'm not greedy"

Y'know . . . to pull the room together. 27_laughing.gif

hi.gif

"we wan ze monay Lebowski", wink.gif

hi.gif