• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone explain why this wasn't Qualified?

24 posts in this topic

I'm sure this topic has been brought up numerous times before but can someone explain to me why this book doesn't get a Green Qualified label?

Qualified Label- CGC uses a green label to denote a qualified grade. A qualified grade is given to comics with a series defect (such as a 4 inch rip in the back cover) or a signature that was not witnessed by CGC. It will say in the description why it was given a qualified label. Comics with a qualified label can vary widely in price depending on why they recieved the grade. PGX does not use a qualified grade.

jim83.jpg

If I am not mistaken, in some instances the owner is given the choice to get a GLOD or a Blue. I would presume the owner choose Blue because this book looks like it would qualify for a GLOD.

Except for the hole punches, it certainly looks like it could be in the VF range. Personally, I'd rather have a GLOD 8.0 than a blue 2.5. confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally, I'd rather have a GLOD 8.0 than a blue 2.5.

I'm with you there, buddy! thumbsup2.gif

Wouldn't a Qualified 8.0 be worth considerably more than a Universal 2.5? I guess it would depend upon the qualification.

Has anyone submitted a book with a defect and requested (and received) a Qualified grade? confused-smiley-013.gif

Did you purchase this off of metropolis recently?

Yes, why do you ask?

I was looking at it and noticed it was gone today. I was going to have it restored and re-submitted for my private collection.

Yes, why do you ask?

I was looking at it and noticed it was gone today. I was going to have it restored and re-submitted for my private collection.

Yep, I pulled the trigger this afternoon (about 3 hours ago). I had been eye-ing it for a while and I just paid off some other books.

Out of curiousity, how were you planning to restore it?

Yes, why do you ask?

Yep, I pulled the trigger this afternoon (about 3 hours ago). I had been eye-ing it for a while and I just paid off some other books.

I talked to Matt Nelson who was going to do a complete restore of the cover and just infill the pages. I figured it would present like an 8.0 but restored of course. I would have had it slabbed just to protect it and for presentation.

Nice pickup.

Yes, why do you ask?

I talked to Matt Nelson who was going to do a complete restore of the cover and just infill the pages. I figured it would present like an 8.0 but restored of course. I would have had it slabbed just to protect it and for presentation.

Nice pickup.

I've had Matt do some work for me in the past, too. I'll probably get him to do exactly what you describe.

Thanks for the affirmation about the book. I tried to get it for $600 but they wouldn't budge on the price. I think it will look phenomenal when it's completed!

Why restore the book? It presents quite nicely just the way it is. thumbsup2.gif

I agree. And if you are considering sending it back in to get regraded, I would personally rather have a qualified 8.0 then a restored 8.0. But maybe that's just me...

Either way, nice book!

If I am not mistaken, in some instances the owner is given the choice to get a GLOD or a Blue.

I don't believe this is the case. There have been some cases where a previously qualified book has been re-subbed for a blue label, but that only happens because somewhere along the line, CGC changed their criteria for qualified books. Only books with defects that used to result in a green label, but no longer do, can be re-subbed for a blue label.

I'm glad this book was given a blue label. That means CGC actually made a decision as to how hard to hammer a book for hole punches, rather than throwing up their hands and giving it a Qualified 8.0(except for all those darn oddball defects!). The qualified label has always seemed like a cop-out to me.

If I am not mistaken, in some instances the owner is given the choice to get a GLOD or a Blue.

I don't believe this is the case. There have been some cases where a previously qualified book has been re-subbed for a blue label, but that only happens because somewhere along the line, CGC changed their criteria for qualified books. Only books with defects that used to result in a green label, but no longer do, can be re-subbed for a blue label.

I'm glad this book was given a blue label. That means CGC actually made a decision as to how hard to hammer a book for hole punches, rather than throwing up their hands and giving it a Qualified 8.0(except for all those darn oddball defects!). The qualified label has always seemed like a cop-out to me.

I dunno Jeff. I could swear I've read accounts here of people getting a call from CGC asking if they want the blue or green. I suppose there are cases where there is no flexibility and there are cases where it's the owner's call. confused-smiley-013.gif

I dunno Jeff. I could swear I've read accounts here of people getting a call from CGC asking if they want the blue or green. I suppose there are cases where there is no flexibility and there are cases where it's the owner's call. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd be interested in hearing about someone's specific experience. I've never heard of that occurring before.

If true, that's really annoying. If there are odball defects that CGC feels the hobby as a whole has not come to a concensus on how to deal with(when grading), I can almost buy that. But, if CGC is offering to apply a green label to a book that has defects that they are comfortable downgrading for, that's completely ridiculous. In that case, ALL books should be eligible for a green label. I've got plenty of books that could be Qualified 9.4s, 9.6s, 9.8s, if not for all those pesky defects.

It's not CGC's job to tell us how a book would grade if it didn't have defects. Kinda defeats the purpose.

It's not CGC's job to tell us how a book would grade if it didn't have defects. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I agree. They need to clarify the purpose of the Green Qualified label or just do away with it. It's too speculative. gossip.gif

Anyone from CGC want to chime in on this?? poke2.gif

I agree. They need to clarify the purpose of the Green Qualified label or just do away with it. It's too speculative. gossip.gif

I personally like the idea of a Q grade as it gives the buyer more information on the actual condition of the book. If you're interested in more information on what the book really looks like, it's great, but if you're more interested in the number on the label, it's not so good. It's not for every book, but it works great on high grade books with coupons cut out, staple pulls, etc.,. Here's what CGC has to say about it on their website:

"A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description. For example, it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear.""

I personally like the idea of a Q grade as it gives the buyer more information on the actual condition of the book. If you're interested in more information on what the book really looks like, it's great, but if you're more interested in the number on the label, it's not so good. It's not for every book, but it works great on high grade books with coupons cut out, staple pulls, etc.,. Here's what CGC has to say about it on their website:

"A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description. For example, it would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear.""

I don't need CGC to tell me that a book has a 4" tear on the back cover. I can see that myself. I need CGC to tell me what the book grades out at with that tear. If they want to give both grades, great. If they want to detail a book's defects on the label, even better. But, in my perfect world, they would never exclude the actual grade. That's what I pay them for.

Also, if it's such a disservice to the buyer and seller to give an actual grade rather than a qualified grade, why did they put the book in question in this thread in a blue holder?

Also, if it's such a disservice to the buyer and seller to give an actual grade rather than a qualified grade, why did they put the book in question in this thread in a blue holder?

I don't know why they graded this book blue instead of green. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't agree with every practical application of the qualified grade, but I strongly endorse the idea of qualified grades.

In a perfect world, they would provide full label notes of all defects, a Q grade (where appropriate), and a "real" grade on all books. They don't, so this is the next best thing. I think if I was buying the book labeled below, I'd certainly prefer this label over "1.0 Fair", even moreso if it was a real HG book with a coupon cut out.

ph_greenlabel_lg.jpg

In a perfect world, they would provide full label notes of all defects, a Q grade (where appropriate), and a "real" grade on all books. They don't, so this is the next best thing. I think if I was buying the book labeled below, I'd certainly prefer this label over "1.0 Fair", even moreso if it was a real HG book with a coupon cut out.

ph_greenlabel_lg.jpg

I like the idea of a Qualified grade and a "real" grade and I'd much rather prefer the 8.0 Qualified over 1.0 Fair thumbsup2.gif