• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANYONE GOT $750,000 TO SPARE?

127 posts in this topic

Tony M.,

That's the "beauty" of it. Where are all the perspective buyers who made significant offers of "under $700,000"??? Shouldn't they be crawling all over this auction now that the opener is $500,000?? Or were all those offers significantly under $500,000 as well? gossip.gif

Like Joe Collector said, "under $700Gs as in close to $700,000 or under $700Gs as in anywhere between $1.00 and $699,999?". confused-smiley-013.gif

He never really did get a straight answer to his question. I guess that when the collection finally gets down to brass tacks and seller reality takes hold, we'll get the answer to JoeC.'s question, unless the cavalry gets called in (which is always nice to have in reserve). thumbsup2.gif

Tony M.,

That's the "beauty" of it. Where are all the perspective buyers who made significant offers of "under $700,000"??? Shouldn't they be crawling all over this auction now that the opener is $500,000?? Or were all those offers significantly under $500,000 as well? gossip.gif

The opening bid was always 500,000, it's the BIN that has dropped.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=ast11@shaw.ca&sort=4&page=7&rows=25&since=30&rdir=0

Not that that gets in the way of the kernel of what you've said.

My question is, why list these books on ebay more than the one time? What could the purpose be? All of the important people, the ones who actually have the capital to buy this lot MUST know about it by now. They must have known about it before it was listed on ebay, of course. So why this round of relists? From a sales and marketing perspective it does nothing but cheapen the "perceived" value of the collection. At this point it starts to resemble one of those classic, wishful thinking auctions- a raw, probable GD Amazing Spider-Man 14 with a $3,000 minimum bid and a $20,000 BIN

As a interested party in this collection I can tell you that $500,000 is still too much for this collection. This is a case of owners being too emotionally attached to and reading too many mile high collection articles when pricing up their material.

Bob,

I can't see a collection like this going for more than $1G per book and even that's a stretch for someone that wanted to make money from it. There's just too many bricks that CGCed high grade or not, look like they would become part of a major dealers "semi-permanent" inventory even priced at very modest multiples of guide on the 9.2 and up books.

As a major dealer, you've got expenses to pay. Travel, sales tax, employees, office rent, table fees, advertising (even if just in Overstreet and Phone books), etc. etc.

In any large accumulation, you have to factor in the rationale, "how do I get a good chunk of my buy-in price back in a relatively short amount of time with the "Bullion" amongst the "Lead bricks". You use your associates, your wantlists, your associate's wantlists, wholesale a group here and there and you have a basic idea of where you can unload a nice percentage of the collection to get some serious scratch returned, But there's none of that here.

High grade or not, most of these numbers and titles are an inventory "ticket to nowhere". Someone said it above, "No peppering of MMs, Caps, Tecs, Adventures, MFs, etc."

Golden age CGC 9.2 or better investors aren't going after offbeat titles at multiples of guide. They're going after mostly DC and Timely Superhero titles and numbers the same way SIlver age collectors are after Marvel and DC Super hero books at guide multiples.

Look at the CGC 9.4 to 9.8 ECs Gaines file copies. ECs aren't exactly offbeat but they're not Timely and DC either. How many times has Heritage offered that same batch of EC books now? And on a whole, they're far better material than anything in this collection, issue and title-wise and average grade-wise too.

When you have a collection of 253 pieces and Tally Ho #1 is singled out as one of the major keys of the collection, that's a big stretch of the imagination on the importance of the collection and finding a "Superpower" dealer that can come up with 6 figures+ for a collection to actually pull the trigger on this batch without winding up playing Russian Roulette by himself.

...And how 'bout that mis-wrap on the Namora 1 ? Feh! Feh, I say!

Now back to Mr.Nice for a minute... what did he do to get himself banned? I assume it was in another thread, since his behavior here was generally above-board...?

Or was it just a determination that he must be Hammer, so bye-bye to another alias...?

...And how 'bout that mis-wrap on the Namora 1 ? Feh! Feh, I say!

Now back to Mr.Nice for a minute... what did he do to get himself banned? I assume it was in another thread, since his behavior here was generally above-board...?

Or was it just a determination that he must be Hammer, so bye-bye to another alias...?

He tried to start a MASSACRE 893naughty-thumb.gif

That's the "beauty" of it. Where are all the perspective buyers who made significant offers of "under $700,000"??? Shouldn't they be crawling all over this auction now that the opener is $500,000?? Or were all those offers significantly under $500,000 as well?

Well, I was just shocked, shocked, shocked to see that the lot ended without a winner...guess all the claims of "legitimate" offers of somewhere between "$500,000" and "just under $700,000" were all hot air after all! 893naughty-thumb.gif Either that, or else the supposed buyer(s) wised up and realized that his cover bid was lower by 6 figures... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Gene