• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art pricing....How much is too much ?

42 posts in this topic

It seems to me that more and more artwork is going to dealer sites before they hit the free market. And overpriced artwork is the rule-of-thumb at dealer sites. If the dealer bought the piece outright, he has to cover his cost and monthly nut. If he's representing an artist, he has to cover the artist's expectations and the dealer's profit. If he's selling a piece on consignment, he wants his percentage and adds that to the total price. It's the free market at work.

This is being said by someone that enjoys shopping the dealers, has used several of the guys, and is about to make payment 4 of 4 to a particular dealer on a piece I love.

I don't begrudge the dealers their piece of the coin. Some of them carry artwork for months and longer before they make a sell. The best of 'em will carve a little off the price or help a customer find a piece or -- like artguy and fanfare-se -- let a customer make timed payments if they can't afford the full load at time of purchase.

But I know I won't find a Blue Light Special at a dealer site. Plan on paying what a piece is worth + 25% or so....