• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Punisher!

28 posts in this topic

As my Dad likes to tell me, people these days don't know what poor means:

"The Bunchinskys lived crowded in a shack, the children wearing hand-me-downs from older siblings. At the age of 6, Charles was embarrassed to attend school in his sister's dress."

He was ONLY embarrassed at the age of 6? 893whatthe.giftongue.gif

That's how poor people were during the Depression; you had a choice of wearing old clothes or nothing. The infant/child orphan rates were off the scale, the homeless made NY today look like paradise, and it was bad news all around.

So I guess wearing a dress to school might not have been so bad by comparison.

That's how poor people were during the Depression; you had a choice of wearing old clothes or nothing. The infant/child orphan rates were off the scale, the homeless made NY today look like paradise, and it was bad news all around.

Agreed, it must have been a bleak time and a period that is hard for us to relate to with all the comforts of the 21st century.

I still couldn't resist the gag though. blush.gif

Agreed, it must have been a bleak time and a period that is hard for us to relate to with all the comforts of the 21st century.

No joke. and even though my father was a kid in the 40's (and missed most of the really bad stuff) some of the stories he's told me would make your hair go white. We literally have no idea what the population aged 60 and up went through during their formative years.

Now we think not having the latest X is such a big deal, but back then a meal and actual shoes to wear were valid reasons to celebrate.

P.S. Remembering can also help us understand the times, and not complain like spoiled brats and wonder "who was the dork that wrote/cut/ripped in that Detective Comics #27?".

Back then, I highly doubt keeping their comics in NM condition was of utmost importance.

Now we think not having the latest X is such a big deal, but back then a meal and actual shoes to wear were valid reasons to celebrate.

A little off topic, but I just got finished reading "The Pianist". Taking in a first hand account of what many people have gone through at the beginning of the 20th century, whether it was the depression, or Europe during WW2, and realizing that their only goals day to day were staying alive and scrounging every morsel of food they could, really puts our current "yuppie" lifestyle into perspective. Even the poorest of the poor in our society eat, and more often than not seem to have plenty of heroine in their systems at all times, despite their poverty.

I realize most of us have worked hard, and deserve to have hobbies, but every so often I get that guilty feeling. And then I come on here, and read certain people on here saying B.S like:

"You can't even buy a decent automobile for less than $100Gs or a house that you aren't embarrassed to be seen putting the key in the lock at for less than $800Gs unless you're willing to live in a hovel that was built 50+ years ago and is falling apart right around you."

It's disgusting.