• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chelmsford, MA, Comic Show, Aug. 5, meet Astounding Wolf-Man artist Jason Howard

35 posts in this topic

OK, San Diego is all done now, so here's an update on this:

Wolf-Man artist Jason Howard at Mass. Comic Show Aug. 5

CHELMSFORD, MA - The Chelmsford Comic Book Show returns to the Radisson Hotel and Suites on Sunday, Aug. 5, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The convention, which has rapidly earned a reputation as one of the best small-town shows in America, is organized by Larry Doherty, owner of Larry's Comics in Lowell, MA. Past guests have included some of the hottest names in the industry, including Ethan Van Sciver, Billy Tan, and Rags Morales, and Doherty has an exciting rising star making his first New England appearance lined up for the Aug. 5 show.

Guest of Honor Jason Howard has quickly become a fan-favorite artist with the hit new book "The Astounding Wolf-Man." Howard, a relative newcomer to the world of professional comics, has teamed with superstar writer Robert Kirkman ("Invincible," "The Walking Dead," "Marvel Zombies") to produce the new Wolf-Man series, which was the undisputed breakout hit of this year's Free Comic Book Day. His dynamic artwork brings to life the heroic tale of a man struggling to do good while suffering under a horrible curse.

Howard, who resides in Michigan, is excited to make the Greater Boston show one of the first appearances of his career as a professional comic artist. "I am looking forward to unchaining myself from my drawing table for a day and heading east to meet the great comic fans in the New England area," he said. "From what I hear, Larry puts on a great show and I feel honored to be a part of it."

Several local creators round out the guest list at the Aug. 5 show. Kris Carter, a long-time friend of the Chelmsford Comic Book Show, will be showing off the artwork from his first professional work and debuting his brand new sketchbook. Mike Dolce, creator of the independent comic sensation "The Sire," will have the first issue of his hot new series available at the show. Other guests include Adam Miller, "Johnny Raygun" creator Rich Woodall, Mike Doherty, "Matman" from the Secret Identity Podcast, and Brian Smith and Ian Robinson of Isolation Disorder Press.

The Chelmsford Comic Show is offering an exciting opportunity for undiscovered artists as well. Patrick Cook, Editor-in-Chief of Wicked Good Comics, will be on hand to review portfolios and solicit artists for upcoming projects.

Portfolios should showcase a variety of skills, from sequential storytelling to panel layout and backgrounds to convincing character portrayals, rather than simply an emphasis on "pin-up" artwork. Aspiring artists are urged to bring a small variety of sample pages which best illustrate their artistic skills, with inclusion of a short (three to six pages) sequential story highly recommend. Sample scripts are also available in advance of the show. E-mail Cook at patrickecook@yahoo.com for more information.

Doherty, who also serves as publisher of Wicked Good Comics, points to Howard's meteoric rise from unknown to professional artist as one reason that talented locals should show off their artwork every chance they get. "Jason is the definition of the aspiring artist's dream," he said. "Just last year he was shagging his portfolio to cons looking for a gig. Guess what? He did it. He's working with one of the top writers in the comic biz, Robert Kirkman."

The Chelmsford Comic Book Show will also feature top dealers from all over New England, many making their first appearances at this location, offering a wide selection of comics from the Golden Age to the hottest new releases, toys, collectibles, anime, and other pop culture ephemera. It will be held on Sunday, Aug. 5, at the Radisson Hotel and Suites, located at Exit 34 off Interstate 495 in Chelmsford, MA. The event runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and admission is just $5. The convenient location features plenty of free parking.

For more information, please visit the show's web site:

http://www.larryscomics.net/shows.html

I think it went quite well. It was packed to the rafters with dealers, so much so that I couldn't tell how good attendance was relative to past shows, but it seemed good. There was actually decent flow throughout the day, which is different from past cons where everyone shows up at the beginning and the afternoon is slow.

I got this sketch, so I was happy:

howard.jpg

I think it went quite well. It was packed to the rafters with dealers, so much so that I couldn't tell how good attendance was relative to past shows, but it seemed good. There was actually decent flow throughout the day, which is different from past cons where everyone shows up at the beginning and the afternoon is slow.

I got this sketch, so I was happy:

howard.jpg

That is a pretty cool sketch. I'm digging it. Thanks for posting

It was a very nice show; I stayed a lot longer there than I’d intended and I could have easily spent a few big ones on some pre-hero and pre-code horror Marvels. Buyer attendance seemed healthy while I was there, with a good variety of dealers and merch. I’d been to a few mediocre shows there a ways back, but its rebounded nicely and has been consistently worthwhile for me. (thumbs u (thumbs u

If I have a chance later I’ll post a few books I picked up.

I had an amazing time at the show. My sketch list was full before it even officially opened. True in the past Larry had some trouble getting dealers to show, even some of his long time friends, but I think this show in particular was so good that those who weren't early adopters are kicking themselves in the . Larry always gets top notch hot artists and it is a good time. I did great, and everyone around me did as well. Hope to see you all at the next one.

~Kris

My blog, new art and photo's daily

I had an amazing time at the show. My sketch list was full before it even officially opened. True in the past Larry had some trouble getting dealers to show, even some of his long time friends, but I think this show in particular was so good that those who weren't early adopters are kicking themselves in the . Larry always gets top notch hot artists and it is a good time. I did great, and everyone around me did as well. Hope to see you all at the next one.

~Kris

My blog, new art and photo's daily

We have free space for you at the the November 4th Boston Comic Book Convention if you are interested. I am sure that you would do well with sketches and expose yourself to a new audience. Please PM if interested. If not, good luck with your art.

Okay! Finally time to polish off my lame report with some lame books! :banana:

From the Copper $1 Bin:

Untitled-1.jpg

hulk314.jpg

From the Bronze $3 Bin:

wwbn29.jpg

From the Silver Pen Doodle Bin:

jim92.jpg

The back looks nicer than the front, with minimal spine stress. And no doodles.