• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #48

20 posts in this topic

img420.jpg

img421.jpg

I bought a collection of over 800 SA Marvel\DC Superhero comics. Long, long runs of FF, ASM, Avengers, Xmen, TofS, TtoA, Daredevil, Sgt. Fury, Superman, Action, Batman, Dectective, Worlds Finest, the list goes on......

I was amused as to how the condition of the collection got better as the original owner got older. The owner started collecting in 1963 when he was 13. The comics from 63/64 are 1.8/2.0. By 1969, when the run of titles ends in this collection, the condition is 7.0/7.5.

Please Grade My FF #48

The collector and LCS I buy from most frequently automatically grade any book with water damage at 4.0 or less. I would personally grade this book around a 5.5 - 6.0 had the stain only been discoloration. B/c it is in rather nice shape, I'd probably make an offer of VG/4.0. Maybe I wouldn't get this specific book, but that's how I typically deal with books that have water damage.

i'm thinking 5.-6.0ish because of the staining on the BC.

am also surprised that no onehas mentioned how odd the right edge of the FC looks.............it looks like the edge makes a slight left turn as you move up to the rooftop that the folks are standing on. and it looks a little wavy to me.......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

still quite presentable, just odd............

am also surprised that no onehas mentioned how odd the right edge of the FC looks.............it looks like the edge makes a slight left turn as you move up to the rooftop that the folks are standing on. and it looks a little wavy to me.......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seems like we have a little more moisture damage than we thought . . . good eye Harry.

I think we all need to re-evaluate our grades. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The collector and LCS I buy from most frequently automatically grade any book with water damage at 4.0 or less. I would personally grade this book around a 5.5 - 6.0 had the stain only been discoloration. B/c it is in rather nice shape, I'd probably make an offer of VG/4.0. Maybe I wouldn't get this specific book, but that's how I typically deal with books that have water damage.

I think my previous recommendation is a good one based on what we're seeing here...

I too noticed that. When I opened the cover, on page one there is a long (1 1/4") and narrow (1/8") triangle that was part of the printing process on the right edge of the page. confused-smiley-013.gif

Is it really water damage or something else? Does it go through the book or is it on the back cover only?
No water damage.

Discoloration is probably due to being stored in a cardboard box in a basement for 40 years.

The rest of the collection exhibits similar discoloration, but without the tell-tale signs of wavy paper damage caused by water.

Seems like we have a little more moisture damage than we thought . . . good eye Harry.

I think we all need to re-evaluate our grades. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.giftonofbricks.giftonofbricks.giftonofbricks.giftonofbricks.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif