• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers #4

13 posts in this topic

the stains and resulting rusty staple are a huge distraction for me. Its clearly not a F- and i would be concerned about edge trimming (although the top edge looks untouched) as the edges look abnormally sharp. And with the pags showing, you'd think the front or back would not overlap the pages and thats not the case here.

This isn't to say there definitely was trimming but if the books is that overgraded via ebay, alarm bells go off.

As is and if no trimming: I'd say a soft VG- maybe G/VG

Welcome to the boards!

Unfortunately, these guys are right on...the right edge definitely looks trimmed to me, beyond a reasonable doubt. My guess is it may have been done back in the day to hide the extent of Marvel chipping (you can still see a handful of what look like natural "Marvel tears" along the edge). In any case, it's clearly not a Fine-. frown.gif I'd advise asking for a return asap.

I wouldn't be so sure it is trimmed. The artwork on the right edge is cropped right where it should be. In fact, on many untrimmed blue label copies, the right edge will actually cut into the purple box with the Subby image.

I suspect that what is making it looked trimmed is the fact that the interior pages are sticking way out due to spine roll.

Also, the water stains indicate that this book was probably stored under rather poor conditions at one time. One of the results of a poor storage environment (humidity) is that the paper swells... and the interior paperstock tends to swell up more than the coverstock, thus the interior pages stick out disproportionately.

Those are good points about the spine roll & storage...you may well be right. But it still looks a bit uneven towards the top of the right edge to me...?

Not sure... confused-smiley-013.gif ...but I'd return it in any case unless it was truly a bargain.

The front cover has good gloss and the colors are very strong. One pet peeve of mine about this issue (not this comic) in general is that with its age and white cover, the backside of the front cover often shows the ads right through. This isn't the case here...something I was looking for.

I got it for $140. Usually on eBay, this comic presents itself much worse and goes for $200-250. I generally see issues look this good around the $300+ range (not including the rust staple and the water mark on the back). A 3.0-4.0 CGCd issue usually goes in the $200-$300 (price can of course go up or down based on who is bidding).

I knew I wasn't getting a Fine -, but I decided to roll the dice and hope to get something in my wishlist parameters.Long story short, I was looking at getting a 3.5 or 4.0 for a total of $185 instead of the $250 and waiting game of finding the auction, bidding, winning etc. (on a side note, I just searched and found a 4.5 go for $245...but I probably would have jacked that up another $25-50 if I was in on the bid for that...Murphy's Law).

Anyway, thanks for the help.

The front cover has good gloss and the colors are very strong. One pet peeve of mine about this issue (not this comic) in general is that with its age and white cover, the backside of the front cover often shows the ads right through. This isn't the case here...something I was looking for.

I got it for $140. Usually on eBay, this comic presents itself much worse and goes for $200-250. I generally see issues look this good around the $300+ range (not including the rust staple and the water mark on the back). A 3.0-4.0 CGCd issue usually goes in the $200-$300 (price can of course go up or down based on who is bidding).

I knew I wasn't getting a Fine -, but I decided to roll the dice and hope to get something in my wishlist parameters.Long story short, I was looking at getting a 3.5 or 4.0 for a total of $185 instead of the $250 and waiting game of finding the auction, bidding, winning etc. (on a side note, I just searched and found a 4.5 go for $245...but I probably would have jacked that up another $25-50 if I was in on the bid for that...Murphy's Law).

ultimately, what's really important is how you feel about it...................

i tend to agree with the 3.0ish grades as the double stains on the FC and BC really take it down a few pegs. i thought maybe spine roll, as well, but since the pages stick out beyond both the FC and BC, i'm thinking it may be trimmed.

if it were mine, i 'd be mostlt concerned whether it's "restored" or not and what i paid for it.

good luck........... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

BTW; one of my favorite books ever........ thumbsup2.gif

$140 might be a deal even if it's trimmed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not an expect on Avengers 4 since I haven't tried to buy or sell one in recent years (since CGC) and have never researched GPA about it.