• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,057 posts in this topic

You could be right; I just glanced at my census history (1 more 9.6 and 1 less 9.4) and made the natural assumption. You're saying it can't be pressed if it's Doug's book...? I noticed distinct "lines" at the top left corner above the DC logo and running through the "LE" in League. The lower left corner is not perfect either (meaning 9.6 perfect). ;)

So if this is the same book, it sold for $1100 LESS? And what about the $15K book? I don't remember it being that much nicer. Though I must admit that there being 3 copies at this grade just blows my mind. Not complaining, mind you; looks like I'll get to upgrade my pathetic 9.0 for a less-than-insane price in the near future. :wishluck:

Still flopping around on the relief/regret see-saw...

Rick

Bizarre action on the JLAs that just sold on Comiclink.

Equally surprising the other way was the 9.6 PC JLA #18. This has been up for sale several times in the last few years, and it seems like there's been a 9.4 or 9.6 #18 in just about every major auction recently.

But Tim, it's a PC !!! :baiting:

Oh by the way:

Take a peek at Link's preview for next month?!! :roflmao:

Rick

What I was equally suprised at was how low the JLA #69 went for:

$136 ? for a 9.4. I know it was competing againt a 9.8 but only $136?

seems as if you can put together a nice collection of 9.2's and 9.4's for decent prices these days. if you're looking for 9.6's or better, you're gonna pay til you bleed

Edited by paperheart

What I was equally suprised at was how low the JLA #69 went for:

$136 ? for a 9.4. I know it was competing againt a 9.8 but only $136?

seems as if you can put together a nice collection of 9.2's and 9.4's for decent prices these days. if you're looking for 9.6's or better, you're gonna pay til you bleed

Yup, 9.6 is the new 9.4.

You could be right; I just glanced at my census history (1 more 9.6 and 1 less 9.4) and made the natural assumption. You're saying it can't be pressed if it's Doug's book...? I noticed distinct "lines" at the top left corner above the DC logo and running through the "LE" in League. The lower left corner is not perfect either (meaning 9.6 perfect). ;)

So if this is the same book, it sold for $1100 LESS? And what about the $15K book? I don't remember it being that much nicer. Though I must admit that there being 3 copies at this grade just blows my mind. Not complaining, mind you; looks like I'll get to upgrade my pathetic 9.0 for a less-than-insane price in the near future. :wishluck:

Still flopping around on the relief/regret see-saw...

Rick

lotsa strange numbers lately, huh? Wish there was an internet Wiki/Google we could get the answers from as to what's REALLY behind each eye-catching sale. Frankly, these Boards are the closest thing to that - - and we are mostly pulling our own puds here.

As to these JLAs, it might be as simple as the buyer just hasnt been studying JLA sales as closely as you guys, and just thought that was a great book to get and placed a high enough bid to win it at way more than you guys know its worth. I have seen that happen where for whatever reason, a guy out there pulls the trigger at too high a price for no apparent reason other than he felt okay with it at the time. Or its a press candidate. Or these sales arent real. Or its that new whale come to town.

but which is it?

I concur, Tim, simply weird.

I'll say up front that I bid on about half a dozen of them, and wound up with goose eggs. If these prices somehow remain sustainable, I'm definitely going to cash in. Has a JLA movie started up again? Maybe paperheart is making a run for my crown? (:

Maybe Avengers fever is spreading to JLAs now? (shrug)

Score!

A top grade w/top PQ-near perfect registry-black cover-squarebound ish from '67 for under GPA; not to mention considerably less than my max!

Maybe the understated info helped: "Census Rank: 3rd Highest CGC Graded...only three examples have ever been graded higher," oops. I mean thanx!!

RADD8D4A2009812_192631.jpg

Anyone else hit something in the Clink auction? Comments? Tim, JLA #18 9.6...$1350...? :baiting:

Rick

I just got the bad news back from CGC that my JLA #19 that I had high hopes for came back a 9.0 w/white pages but top right corner TRIMMED!!!!! ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!

:frustrated:

Bummer! :(

Congrats. Better to get the Adams books sooner rather than later.

Not a recent acquisition (June), but I'm just now trying to update my inventory spreadsheet:

I have never seen that cover....I need to get my head out of Adams more often!