• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,059 posts in this topic

Thanks Tim

(thumbs u

Hopefully this one will like comics...his 2 older brothers are not interested

at all...I took them to a comic convention last year and we came out with a box full of star wars figures and legos and no comics... :tonofbricks:

Sounds like a case of bad parenting! :baiting:

The 9.8 JLA #101 just went for 12X Guide. It was one of the better centered copies that I've seen, but still...

My elitism may be showing, but no way I'm shelling out over 5 Bills for a post-1970 post-#100 book with a cut off DC logo & right edge thumb mark. Congrats to the winner; I'll use my $500 elsewhere.

Rick

There is yet another 9.8 JLA 101 in the Heritage weekly auction, and the Census now shows 6 9.8 copies (with undoubtedly more to come).

I feel sorry for the bidders who paid $507.88 for the copies that sold in Jan and Feb of this year. Well, actually, I don't, because that was a really dumb price to pay.

Yep, as more of these 9.8's get graded by CGC...the price just keeps dropping...

at least for bronze/copper/modern...

I can't help it, but I'm a completionist...and would like to get all the JLA issues from 101 to 261 in CGC 9.8...I will wait it out until the prices come down to what I think

they're worth...with this economy...that time may be soon

I hope its getting cristal clear that buying ANY 9.8s is dumb.. if the reason is the desire for a scarce desirable collectible!

No, there's nothing wrong with buying 9.8s per se. What's dumb is overpaying for a 9.8, particularly a BA, CA or modern 9.8.

Anyone here submit a JLA #19...I see there is now a 9.4 on the census :applause:

Man, I hope it's not the 9.2 PC copy pressed up or something.

Wow, I think this means every JLA issue now exists in 9.4 or higher. This and #3 were the last to fall, I think.

I hope its getting cristal clear that buying ANY 9.8s is dumb.. if the reason is the desire for a scarce desirable collectible!

No, there's nothing wrong with buying 9.8s per se. What's dumb is overpaying for a 9.8, particularly a BA, CA or modern 9.8.

that was clearly implied in my post. I dont like writing more than I feel is necessary, even tho it opens me up to misinterpretations like this. Because today buying 9.8s = overpaying. got it? I believe in collect what you like, so sure 9.8s are cool to collect.

Anyone here submit a JLA #19...I see there is now a 9.4 on the census :applause:

Wow, I think this means every JLA issue now exists in 9.4 or higher. This and #3 were the last to fall, I think.

I didn't think about the possibility of a 9.2 being pressed up to a 9.4 :tonofbricks:

The 9.8 JLA #101 just went for 12X Guide. It was one of the better centered copies that I've seen, but still...

My elitism may be showing, but no way I'm shelling out over 5 Bills for a post-1970 post-#100 book with a cut off DC logo & right edge thumb mark. Congrats to the winner; I'll use my $500 elsewhere.

Rick

There is yet another 9.8 JLA 101 in the Heritage weekly auction, and the Census now shows 6 9.8 copies (with undoubtedly more to come).

I feel sorry for the bidders who paid $507.88 for the copies that sold in Jan and Feb of this year. Well, actually, I don't, because that was a really dumb price to pay.

i agree, mostly because i'm quite happy with my 9.6 copy :cloud9:

As am I.

But let's be clear- that 9.8 #101 was overpriced because of the flaws I mentioned, not "just because it's a CA book. $500+ is still a lot of money for that issue, but would be far more justified if it were a true/solid/strong 9.8 book. And had White pages. And was the sole 9.8 specimen. And was signed by the writer/artist/inker/editor. And...

'Course, if/when a JLA movie is ever made(?), all bets will be off for the foreseeable future!

Till then I'm perfectly content with my White page perfectly registered 9.6er. Hey Sal, let's start a club (there are currently 21 9.6s). hm

Rick

So now that a 9.4 set is possible, you planning to get back in the thick of it, Tim? (tsk):baiting:

Rick

So now that a 9.4 set is possible, you planning to get back in the thick of it, Tim? (tsk):baiting:

Rick

Just the opposite, Rick. Stay tuned.

OK, I can't sleep so I'm surfing comic websites -via GPA- that I don't normally view on a regular basis. And lo & behold I come across this...

A $10,000 JLA book (guess which one)

Anyone have any idea how long ago this purchase went down? Or how blind the buyer was? I normally don't criticize purchases, buuut dang!! Talk about buying the label!!

Just sayin'

And yes, I'm aware of CGC's lax attitude towards mis-wraps, but c'mon?

For $10K, how bout #9 (origin ish) in 9.6...or #4 (GA) in 9.6...or #1 in a soft 9.0...

Then again, #38 in 9.8 sold for $2600 back in Aug, so what the do I know???

Rick

OK, I can't sleep so I'm surfing comic websites -via GPA- that I don't normally view on a regular basis. And lo & behold I come across this...

A $10,000 JLA book (guess which one)

Anyone have any idea how long ago this purchase went down? Or how blind the buyer was? I normally don't criticize purchases, buuut dang!! Talk about buying the label!!

Just sayin'

And yes, I'm aware of CGC's lax attitude towards mis-wraps, but c'mon?

For $10K, how bout #9 (origin ish) in 9.6...or #4 (GA) in 9.6...or #1 in a soft 9.0...

Then again, #38 in 9.8 sold for $2600 back in Aug, so what the do I know???

Rick

how about $10k for a book that hadn't been pressed up from a 9.4 like this one has been. that's right, same book they had on the site a while back that was a 9.4. ^^