• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100 Greatest Comic Books

93 posts in this topic

This is from Jerry Wiest's recent book and it included input from 44 fans, historians, creators, and dealers. Your mileage may vary; mine does.

Top100comics_part1.jpg

Top100comics_part2.jpg

Nice to see Our Army at War #81 in there (though I would have chosen #83.) War books rarely get any cred on these kinds of lists.

Shep

OAAW #83 for me as well. While there have been lots of war books and lots and lots of war-influenced books, when it comes to key issues there's Rock and then there's everybody else like Haunted Tank, Enemy Ace, Sgt. Fury, etc.

What the hell was the ranking criteria for this list!!!! So far out of whack!

There can't be anyone here that possibly agrees with the Top 20. screwy.gif

How can Tec' 27 not crack the Top 25? It's a Top 5 book, no? Where's Pep 22?

Nice to see some newer books in there, but the rankings are nuts. Tec 38 before Tec 27?

Mad 1 and Mickey Mouse Magazine 1 are more important than Marvel 1 and AF 15? screwy.gif

Batman 1 and Archie 1 are more important than Tec 27? screwy.gif

Don't even get me started on what's ahead of FF 1. screwy.gif

Sorry, this list makes zero sense. I don't care where the input came from.

If I told you three different comics' issue #22 were on that list, would you have guessed Crime Does Not Pay #22, Crime Suspenstories #22, and Showcase #22 before you guessed Pep #22?

27_laughing.gif Of course.......I mean who was that dorky high school kid in pep #22....arkie whats his face!

What the hell was the ranking criteria for this list!!!! So far out of whack!

The criteria included (drumroll, please):

Historical Impact

Quality

Intro of New Concept

Rarity

Popularity

Wiest notes that most voters weighted the first 3 criteria more heavily than the last two. There was general consensus on the first 25. The last 75? Not so much.

Voters included Jerry Bails, John Benson, Jon Berk, Mark Evanier, Al Feldstein, Bruce Hamilton, Denis Kitchen, Paul Levitz, Michelle Nolan, Bob Overstreet, Maggie Thompson, Jim Steranko, John Snyder etc. I know of almost all of the voters and it's a good list but I do think we ended up with some really wacky results.

Mad 1 and Mickey Mouse Magazine 1 are more important than Marvel 1 and AF 15? screwy.gif

Batman 1 and Archie 1 are more important than Tec 27? screwy.gif

Don't even get me started on what's ahead of FF 1. screwy.gif

Sorry, this list makes zero sense. I don't care where the input came from.

The cultural impact of Mad magazine probably dwarfs that of Marvel 1. I would have Mad 1 in any Top 10 list I tried to put together.

I guess the Joker and Robin are both of greater Historical impact than ole Bats himself.

Love Funnies on Parade at two. 27_laughing.gif FTW.

Big love from the listmakers for the Lone Ranger. ooookay, sure

The criteria included (drumroll, please):

Historical Impact

Quality

Intro of New Concept

Rarity

Popularity

Wiest notes that most voters weighted the first 3 criteria more heavily than the last two. There was general consensus on the first 25. The last 75? Not so much.

Thanks for posting, Adam. Now we can do them for ourselves. Let's assume each category is on a 10-pt scale (1 being the lowest, 10 being highest).

Using that, wouldn't Tec 27 get a 10 in at least 3 of those categories (Impact, Concept, and Popularity), at least a 7 in Rarity, and at least a 5 for Quality?

How does Tec 38 rank higher? I don't get it?

If I told you three different comics' issue #22 were on that list, would you have guessed Crime Does Not Pay #22, Crime Suspenstories #22, and Showcase #22 before you guessed Pep #22?

It's hard to rationalize how Archie #1 made the list and Pep #22 didn't (I guess it was the intro of Squoimy the Woim and Bumbee the BeeTective that gave Archie #1 that extra boost 27_laughing.gif)

Using that, wouldn't Tec 27 get a 10 in at least 3 of those categories (Impact, Concept, and Popularity), at least a 7 in Rarity, and at least a 5 for Quality?

How does Tec 38 rank higher? I don't get it?

Not saying I agree with it, but I kind of understand it.

The first superhero sidekick had a huge impact (Bucky, Toro, Sandy, etc) and was a brand new concept, while the concept of Batman was already lifted from The Shadow and Spider pulps. No doubt he eclipsed them in popularity, but the concept of the nighttime shadowy avenger wasn't new in Tec #27.

So if you discount Tec #27 a bit in those two area, Tec #38 could rank slightly higher.

Just to play devil's advocate....

Funnies on Parade is the first comic book which is structurely in the modern comic book magazine format -- i.e. saddle-stitched newsprint pages, stapled with a slick cover. That's pretty damn important.

As AdamStrange said, Mad has had an enormous influence on later pop culture outside of the comic industry.

If you look at the entire history of modern comics, the only genre that might eclipse sales of superhero comics is Disney, especially if international sales are taken into account. Hence MMM #1 and WDC&S #1.

Zap=beginning of direct sales which ultimately transformed the whole industry.

Tec 38 and and Batman 1 - First sidekick and first app. of the most important villain ever. Not saying they should be ahead of Tec 27, but that was probably the line of reasoning there.

Famous Funnies 1, ser. 2 - First monthly newstand comic.

the lack of key bronze and modern books is a joke. Where's Watchmen, DKR, Swamp Thing 21, GSX-Men #1, TMNT #1...?

'rarity' is a factor, but Sandman #1 and Superman: Peace on Earth are included... an then these are not?

the lack of key bronze and modern books is a joke. Where's Watchmen, DKR, Swamp Thing 21, GSX-Men #1, TMNT #1...?

'rarity' is a factor, but Sandman #1 and Superman: Peace on Earth are included... an then these are not?

GS Xmen - #40

DKR - #67

Watchmen - #74

No Turtles though or Swamp Thing #21. frown.gif

Why is Swamp Thing #1 on the list at all?

GS Xmen - #40

DKR - #67

Watchmen - #74

No Turtles though or Swamp Thing #21. frown.gif

Why is Swamp Thing #1 on the list at all?

blush.gifsorry.gif