• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers #4

19 posts in this topic

Well, I took the advice of Point Five & Divad,and I stopped by my LCS that had the copy of Avengers #4 (as discussed in Silverminer's PGM Avenger's #4 thread). I think I might have initially over-graded the book when I first laid hands on it, but who knows? Anyhow, I paid $25 for this book, and considering it's one of those big Marvel SA keys, how could you go wrong? As you can see, it DOES have the cover price of $0.12 AND the date on the inside-front cover lists the date as 1964 so this SHOULD be real McCoy and not the Golden Record Reprint (lol, otherwise, I'm up for some disappointment). So, how would you all grade it?

Front Cover: Water/moisture marking though less noticeable; mostly present in the slight waviness above Giant-Man's head an Cap's face. There's also a water mark in between Iron Man and Tor. Handful of tiny dings along the bottom and top edges. 1/2" tear through the CCA stamp and a 1/4" tear above the letter "N". Handful of spine stresses on par with a low-grade issue. Cover firmly attached. Corners blunted, and some loss of color (possibly due to moisture) along the bottom left.

Avengers-4-Front.jpg

Inside:Generally creamy pages, some off-white, back page tan with some slight moisture bleed-through from back cover, and a 1/2" tear on the top edge. Fully intact, all pages firmly attached.

Back Cover: Obvious water/moisture markings. Scuffing along the middle of the spine, small chip on the left edge, large crease along left to top corner, and slight stress tear along bottom staple. 1/4" tear on the top edge. Both staples firmly attached and silver.

Avengers-4-Back.jpg

Too bad about the water stains on the back, but then you wouldn't have picked it up for $25.

In terms of importance, I don't see anything close to this type of book at my LCS...BA X-Men and JLA's...sigh.

Thanks for feedback guys! When I first looked at it, I was thinking 3.0 maaaaybe 3.5. After going back to look at it more closely the second time around, I definitely think there was a certain rush of excitement causing me to overlook the extent of water markings (esp. on the back). I definitely think it lands a 2.5 though-- the insides are in really nice shape, supple and not the least bit brittle.

I'm still a little "buzzy" over getting such a great deal! grin.gif

.gif

? confused-smiley-013.gif ?

he's asking what kind of Coffee made that BC stain. grin.gifstooges.gif

i'm thinking this could pull a 2.5 and for $25 is such a sweet deal. can't believe how many of these are popping up on here of late. absolutely one of my favorite books ever..................... cloud9.gif

.gif

? confused-smiley-013.gif ?

he's asking what kind of Coffee made that BC stain. grin.gifstooges.gif

i'm thinking this could pull a 2.5 and for $25 is such a sweet deal. can't believe how many of these are popping up on here of late. absolutely one of my favorite books ever..................... cloud9.gif

lol, your powers of translation astound me! wink.gif My guess is one with creamer, and possibly sugar- it's a lighter color afterall 27_laughing.gif

Sorry CC-- for some reason, your previous post isn't showing on my computer. Just some friendly humor. smile.gif

I will say there are a handful of other low grade books on sale for well below OSPG (i.e. ASM 14 in similar condition for $50, ASM 11 at around 3.0-3.5 for $25, etc). I picked up ASM 5 in 1.5 for only $15! Needless to say, my buy pile there has grown significantly. There were a few EARLY ASMs (3,4,6-11) between 1.8-3.0, but they're over $100 ea. so out of my price range. Sigh.

John & CC, the name of the store is Omni Comics & Cards but unfortunately, his website hasn't been updated in a few years from the look of it.

If you guys are interested, I can middle-man some purchases for you. Did so for FF #12 for FedoraMan and got him a nice deal below guide. lol, I've cherry-picked all the really cheap deals for my buy piles, but as I said-- there are a number of books still on sale WELL below OSPG (namely, ASM 3 (I think 4), 6-10...and a bunch of others throughout the Silver and Bronze Age. So PM a list of what you're looking for, and I can take a swing by.