• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unrestored F+ Batman #1 @ Heritage in August

24 posts in this topic

I haven't heard anyone mention this great book yet.....I think the last 10+ copies I've seen for sale have all been restored. Wonder what this one will bring? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1882334-bat1.jpg

Steve

Yes, very surprised that this one graded as high as a 6.5 given what's going on with the spine. confused.gif

Noticed on the CGC census that there are 11 higher graded unrestored copies of this book out there. Should point out that virtually all of the pedigree copies have had some type of work done on them, albeit some of them might still qualify for a blue label. foreheadslap.gif

Yes, very surprised that this one graded as high as a 6.5 given what's going on with the spine. confused.gif

What's interesting is.....this thread started as a "Bat 1" thread, and quickly turned into a "why is this a 6.5?" thread. It was my 1st thought also.

I have noticed with CGC that if a book is overall pretty nice, flat and tight with minimal condition flaws except for one 'big one', they are pretty generous with the grade. If this same Bat 1 had some minor color breaking creasing and spine stress, 1/4" spine split at the bottom, reduced cover gloss, and still had the same damage at the top of the spine, it might have been quickly reduced to a VG.

I personally prefer my mid-grade books to have a combination of subtle condition flaws VS. one 'big one' like this Bat 1 has. The Tec35 pictured here graded at a 5.0, and I find it much more pleasing to the eye....small tear on the front right cover edge by the 10 cent logo, and small spine split at the top. No big "oh my G-D, what happened there!".

1883118-metrotec35.JPG

Steve

1883118-metrotec35.JPG.9a8dc1458eb51758c039dfbcfaf14e4a.JPG

That Bat is a vg/fine at best. One has to wonder if the grading process is being dumbed down to encourage resubmissions.

I actually have a Batman 62 that is a 6.5 old label that looks`worse this Batman 1 ...

Pet Peeve time sign-rantpost.gif The grade is a bit rich with those corners, tear or tape pull, whatever it is. Of course this is only a 6.0 and one of the graders had it as a 5.5. Christo_pull_hair.gif Maybe I should have banged up the TLHC more so I could bump this to a 6.5. foreheadslap.gif I guess if you can see a glaring defect the grade doesn't suffer as much when you have an invisible 2 inch stain on the cover. frustrated.gif

HT12cgc6.jpg[/img]

do we know for sure that's a tear in the upper corner ? it could just be color loss in that area,. I think the grade is fairly accurate myself. confused-smiley-013.gif certainly no worse than a 6.0, especially when compared to the 2 Heritage copies listed above.

I've noticed that they hate stains, especailly water stains, no matter how slight. I have a Mile High Blackstone #1 that through the slab looks 9.0. Some of us pondered whether or not they meant to put a 9, instead of a 7 as the label read 7.0. I cracked it out and found a light water stain on the inside of the book. Results = a 2 grade demotion. I've seen it before recently as well.

Here is my Batman 1 that recently came back from CGC. It has a light water stain on the back cover, the scan exaggerates it some. I thought the book would be a 5.5. Oh well. At least I know not to send in books with any moisture damage now.

mm0081-1.jpg

mm0082-1.jpg

mm0083-1.jpg

That's a very nice book, Bill... 893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

I thought it was nicer frown.gif

it is nicer...it is just a "number"...I use cgc for the resto check, not necessarily for the grading (although, it is nice to have high grade books, but that is not for me)...I know you, mr ponseti are all about the "book" and not the number...

rest easy!

gator

I've noticed that they hate stains, especailly water stains, no matter how slight. I have a Mile High Blackstone #1 that through the slab looks 9.0. Some of us pondered whether or not they meant to put a 9, instead of a 7 as the label read 7.0. I cracked it out and found a light water stain on the inside of the book. Results = a 2 grade demotion. I've seen it before recently as well.

Here is my Batman 1 that recently came back from CGC. It has a light water stain on the back cover, the scan exaggerates it some. I thought the book would be a 5.5. Oh well. At least I know not to send in books with any moisture damage now.

I completely disagree with CGC's grading paradigm when it comes to books with stains. Borock and crew need to reassess and come up with something more in line with the marketplace. If a book grades 9.0/9.2, but has a water stain that is nearly invisible, should it come out a 6.5? Not to me, it should be at least a 7.5 in that instance, with a shot at 8.0 if the water stain is small.

I have a Showcase #4 that looks about a 6.0. It has a large water stain on the bottom third of the book which I agree signficantly affects the grade. I graded it a strong VG. I mean, you look at the G/VG copies out there, and this one (to me) looks tons better:

5288.jpg

Compare it to these 2:

817001362o.jpg

282357.jpg

Brent I had wondered about that copy, its just too damn nice looking from the front cover. I agree with you, if the book is structurally sound then a minor stain should not hammer the grade significantly. I am tempted to crack open my HT#12 just to see if I can even locate it, it needs to be regraded in any event.