• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: SILVER AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 12

Choose next comic to leave list  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Choose next comic to leave list

70 posts in this topic

aw man, spidey got ripped last round

if it makes you feel any better, i dont think i could vote Amazing Fantasy out. i actually voted for the Amazing title because i think Amazing Fantasy is more of a key.

This is rediculous, Green Lantern is a better hero than Iron Man

And we have officially reached the "The Hulk would so totally beat up Superman" portion of the debate. wink.gif

C

Out in left field, I voted for the Hulk.

I never was too fond of the green-skinned guy.

Whereas I'm very fond of the green-lanterned guy.

I was going with TOS39 because I want to keep some DCs around and well, now that we are actually voting off real superhero first appearances, Iron Man seemed the weakest. But, then I remember old goldilocks! Yaknow? I never really liked those stories much afyet the Contest of the gods story back in 113-114. I mean, Thor was mythology mascarading as a superhero comic! Iron Man was mostly lame too, but Tony Stark remained a major major Marvel character all along.

we gotta carefully consider the Marvels now and not kneejerk the DCs reboots. Its not their fault that they existed in the GA! The Silver Age was a new start and without Flash, GL etc, Marvel might have come out very differently. A little respek. word.

TOS 39 is a candidate, but there aren't any GL movies in the pipeline.

Let me get this straight, Andy, we're now voting based on whether some bozo in Hollywood decides to make a movie or not? screwy.gif

Call me a hidebound traditionalist if you will, but I think I will continue to vote on the basis of historical significance. sumo.gif

You're a hidebound traditionalist. And a bit of a cad, too.

When all the candidates are historically significant, it's the little details (like bozos in Hollywood completely ruining decent super-hero concepts and franchises) that count.

Seriously though, TOS 39 is marginally more significant on a historical level. That said, JIM 83 is looking overrated as the book may have allowed Stan Lee to indulge himself with a bit of cod-Shakespearean prose, but its' premise was pretty silly (the whole Donald Blake thing) and scarcely advanced the medium...

Seriously though, TOS 39 is marginally more significant on a historical level. That said, JIM 83 is looking overrated as the book may have allowed Stan Lee to indulge himself with a bit of cod-Shakespearean prose, but its' premise was pretty silly (the whole Donald Blake thing) and scarcely advanced the medium...

Have to disagree with you there too. Thor was interesting in that it introduced a whole universe of mythological gods and swords and sorcery alongside the previously "normal" Marvel universe.

Ironman, on the other hand, was a wealthy playboy/genius, which had been done to death by DC already. The only really revolutionary thing about Iron Man was the fact that his origin took place in the context of the Vietnam War, which was pretty interesting considering it was only 1963.

Iron Man for me. Couldn't hold his own book in the early days (had to share with Cap after initially being the main feature), up and down ever since in terms of quality. A second tier Marvel character, imo.

Ditto.

GL is an A-List DC character.

Iron Man is B-List Marvel at best. Most notable for being an alcoholic. 27_laughing.gif

There's an irony in dismissing Iron Man as a second rate character as TOS#39 contains a great origin story and maybe the best Heck art ever. It's worth looking up the reprint in Essentials to remind onesself just what a great story it was.

Keep in mind if you're viewing the art in black and white, that Heck, like Ditko and Kirby inked his work with colour in mind -- and with colour is where it particularly shines.

That final panel of Stark walking away in his trench coat defines, "survivor". The character may not have lived up to its potential but as a great single comic book, TOS #39 is a fine example of the Early Marvel Age.

My 12¢

Dennis

Have to disagree with you there too. Thor was interesting in that it introduced a whole universe of mythological gods and swords and sorcery alongside the previously "normal" Marvel universe.

Ironman, on the other hand, was a wealthy playboy/genius, which had been done to death by DC already. The only really revolutionary thing about Iron Man was the fact that his origin took place in the context of the Vietnam War, which was pretty interesting considering it was only 1963.

And the slightly salient fact that he had a heart condition and needed his armour to survive, which did distinguish him from the other "flawed" characters of the early Marvel Silver Age (Thor's flaw being that he was a demigod who was also a handicapped doctor, a daft idea that was more or less swiped from Fawcett's Captain Marvel).

And as rodan57 has pointed out, the origin story was hardly second-rate, and an excellent read.

Again, we're blurring/crossing the lines between the significance of the issues themselves and our personal preferences. I thought we were supposed to be voting solely on the historical significance of the issues themselves, not on the characters and not whether we liked them or not. When did that change?

Again, we're blurring/crossing the lines between the significance of the issues themselves and our personal preferences. I thought we were supposed to be voting solely on the historical significance of the issues themselves, not on the characters and not whether we liked them or not. When did that change?

i think that was thrown out along with spidy 1

At this point all of these books are very significant historically. Everyone's individual spin is what makes this fun. TOS 39 for me. How's this for a personal preference: Magic ring beats suit of armor in the "cool superhero appliance" category.