• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comic Website for Slab Collectors - Beta testers needed!

149 posts in this topic

I just wanted to share a new website that another board member and I built – GradedGalleries.com. We haven’t really launched the site, but I wanted to run it by the CGC board crew before we do.

Every time I see a thread in the comic forums where users post scans of covers, I think that there should be a place where collectors can store and organize those scans and share them with other collectors. We’ve built this site so that you can host a gallery of your books online, all for free, with no limit on the number of books you can post.

There’s also a Marketplace functionality that will allow sellers to post books for sale in their gallery. Buyers are able to make offers through the site that are automatically emailed to the seller who can accept, decline or counter-offer. Currently, there’s no commission for selling through the site.

Click here to check out the site now. There's nothing on there now but a few of my books and some test accounts, so post a few scans and let me know what you think – we’re currently in the first stages of release, so we really need your feedback!

Very Nice!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Can anyone upload their books as long as they create a username?

Yep! That's the plan. The only limitation we're putting on the site is that the books should all be graded.

To answer Mr. NSN's question, yep, we're trying to restrict it to graded books to keep most of the junk out. Of course if someone posts a raw Action #1, who am I to delete that 27_laughing.gif

Gonna have any protection from the scammers since you will be giving them a great place to steal photos? Like the great transparent gif over the images.

Looks great though. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

A CAF Gallery for slabbed books makes sense, but I've got to admit it will become the perfect place for eBay scammers to get their scans. Something should be done to prevent downloading of images.

Mike

Gonna have any protection from the scammers since you will be giving them a great place to steal photos? Like the great transparent gif over the images.

Absolutely - that's a great idea and something that we're working on right now.

Osbourne - haven't thought about other languages yet. Thanks for the tip - we'll definitely look into it.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments so far!

Is there a way to just browse all the books without selecting a particular user?

Also.....how do you know who's selling a book in the marketplace? I see the FF 1, but don't see who it belongs to. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey all,

I'm Brett's "partner in crime" on this one, so thought I'd stop by, say "Hi!", and answer a few questions...

At this time, there is no general "dumping ground" for all of the comics in the gallery, but there is an alphabetical listing of all members on the "galleries" page (sorted by first letter of last name), and you can look up specific titles/books/etc on the "search" page. We were being optimistic by assuming that this site would (hopefully) find a large audience, and if that's the case, it just seems too cumbersome to have one big alphabetical folder for all of the books.

As for the e-mail...yeah, that's probably one of those "kinks" that needs to be ironed out now that it's been discovered. We created the e-mail account, but it probably just doesn't point anywhere yet. The list of things to do grows a bit longer...

As for the marketplace, we decided it'd be best to keep certain information (ownership, etc) blind until a price had been agreed upon by both parties. We want the marketplace to act like a big storefront.

A few other notes...when uploading books to your galleries, please keep in mind that users will often be searching the database by title...so your books might not show up in most searches if you use shorthand titles (i.e. "ASM" or "Spidey" rather than "Amazing Spider-Man"). You're obviously welcome to list them anyway you like...but it's kinda like eBay, in that the more complete the title, the more hits, etc...Also: Title and issue number are entered seperately, and then displayed together...so if you enter "Amazing Spider-Man 28" as the title, and then enter "28" as the issue number, the book will show up as "Amazing Spider-Man 28 28". Hope this isn't too confusing!

Thanks to everyone for their input, and please let us know if you have any more suggestions or find anything else that might benefit from a bit of tweaking. We will certainly take everything into consideration, as we try to improve upon the site and make it as user-friendly as possible!

Best,

Court Gebeau

www.gradedgalleries.com