• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: SILVER AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 13

Choose next comic to depart list  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Choose next comic to depart list

103 posts in this topic

I voted out JIM #83. At least Iron Man is an original Marvel concept character, Thor is not. In fact, Thor was a DC character 20 years before JIM #83. Thor's actual 1st appearance in comics is Adventure Comics #75 from June of 1942! 893whatthe.gif Also, amazingly Adventure Comics #75 was drawn by Jack Kirky. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Check your Gerber guides!

Note to ALL dealers...time to raise the prices! insane.gif

West

I didn't see anyone claim that B&B was more important than SC#4, but that it is more important than IM, Thor, Hulk, X-Men. I'd even go a step further and say it's more important than all those put together!

I'm voting for Thor, just didn't dig the pseudo-Shakespearean prattle or the Mythology angle. Not my thang!

It's going to be Goldilocks & the Drunk in the next 2 rounds anyway. Hark, who goeth there, er uh...I mean yonder?!

Rick

I voted out JIM #83. At least Iron Man is an original Marvel concept character, Thor is not. In fact, Thor was a DC character 20 years before JIM #83. Thor's actual 1st appearance in comics is Adventure Comics #75 from June of 1942! 893whatthe.gif Also, amazingly Adventure Comics #75 was drawn by Jack Kirky. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Check your Gerber guides!

Note to ALL dealers...time to raise the prices! insane.gif

West

Wow... didn't know that. lol, better pass this along to a friend who's trying to get the 1st Thor appearance then. smile.gif

I went with B&B 28 this round. Partly because I am a "marvel zombie"... and partly because.. if B&B 28 is such an important comic.. how come nobody wants one?

If someone lined up all the 8 remaining books and said "here, pick 7 of these that you would like to own and leave one behind." Whether people want to admit it or not, most people would leave the B&B28.

Hey Filter, thanks! I'd love to take your copy off your hands. What's that, you don't have one? No problem, just go pick one up -cheap- for me since nobody else wants one. Just find the lowest price of the remaining 7 in 9.2 & I'll pay you $1 less than that. Sound fair? makepoint.gif

Seriously dude... poke2.gif

Rick

news.gif

There should be a new rule for poll threads!!!!!

Starting from this thread, "anyone that votes in a poll thread

should atleast have the common courtesy of submitting one

post to state that you have voted".

Otherwise the shilling is just going to out of control and

make these types of poll posts worthless.

Seriously, what I have in quotes above really should be placed

on the top in BOLD on every poll thread. That way you can count up

the people that posted and see the votes and know 100% positive whether

a poll has been shilled. Given there will be the occasional wiseass that

doesn't want to conform, but I think it is better than actually thinking hundreds

came to vote in this poll in less than 12 hours.

yeahok.gif

But, from what I have read, the SA stuff was decent to unbearable. The art was, for the most part lackluster (save some issues like 12, 13, 16, and the Adams/Steranko stuff) and lets be honest, there was a reason the title struggled and was almost canceled. Thor never had that problem.

Right. thumbsup2.gif

What people have to remember is that we are voting off a SPECIFIC and individual issue.... not the hero or group. Sure, UXM was great... MORE than a decade after X-Men #1. makepoint.gif IMO, X-men 1 is by far the weakest of the #1s among the A-List Marvel characters. Cripes... up until the late 90s X-Men 1 was the easiest and cheapest of all the Marvel SA Keys.

That said, ol' Rust Bucket has to go this round. Cheesy costume and a very weak character.

I went with B&B 28 this round. Partly because I am a "marvel zombie"... and partly because.. if B&B 28 is such an important comic.. how come nobody wants one?

How come nobody wants one? How come nobody WANTS one??? I'd LOVE to have one, I just can't afford it (just bought our first home, we're in the middle of furnishing it).

I voted for IM, the same as last round. I'll vote Thor off next.

I've never read any Thor comics, either, although I've read plenty of other titles that he was in. Nothing against him, he just pales in comparison to the other characters/titles/issues in the list.

Can't believe more people aren't voting off ol green skin , a very one dimensional character .

The character is a analogy for the human condition.

It is a fantasy scenario for people that are trained by society to be polite at all times. For everyone who ever wanted to just let their rage take control, this book is a dream/nightmare.

Inside every person is the capability of great and horrible things and what would happen if people lost control of that capability is a harrowing story....one that has been told is several different ways over the last 45 years without a wain in interest.

The struggle for control of oneself and one's world is something everyone faces on a daily basis and, even in this fictional accounting, something that strikes a chord basic to humanity.

The Hulk is only as one dimensional as the human psyche.

Chris

What people have to remember is that we are voting off a SPECIFIC and individual issue.... not the hero or group.

"What people have to remember is that we are voting off a SPECIFIC and individual issue.... not the hero or group."

"What people have to remember is that we are voting off a SPECIFIC and individual issue.... not the hero or group."

That's worth saying a couple of more times. The contest is which book will survive. Which books are the "strongest". Let's judge on the quality of the writing and art -- then on reputation, value or desirablity of that particular issue.

To paraphrase, "Read the book, not the label".

My 12¢

Dennis

I went with Thor (that is, JIM 83), even though I love the character and have a pretty decent run from JIM 113 up to about Thor 462. I just feel he never caught on in 'importance' and hangs on to even the second-tier of Marvel heroes by the thong of his hammer. Plus I've read reprints and it's a terrible comic.

It's true that the character has his own environment and mythology (no pun intended) that has its own following and is iconic in its own way....but then so did the Legion.

If someone lined up all the 8 remaining books and said "here, pick 7 of these that you would like to own and leave one behind." Whether people want to admit it or not, most people would leave the B&B28.

Hey Filter, thanks! I'd love to take your copy off your hands. What's that, you don't have one? No problem, just go pick one up -cheap- for me since nobody else wants one. Just find the lowest price of the remaining 7 in 9.2 & I'll pay you $1 less than that. Sound fair? makepoint.gif

Seriously dude... poke2.gif

Rick

Ok, ok.. my bad..I shouldn't have said "nobody" wants one. Obviously there's a reason this book is in the top 8. If nobody wanted one, it would've been eliminated in round 1. I truly didn't mean to say that B&B 28 isn't a desirable book.

But I still stand by my belief that it is significantly less desired by the collecting community as a whole than any of the other 7 books currently remaining in this poll.

I've got a B&B 28 in VG that I've been trying to sell for over a year (on eBay, on the boards, at conventions) that I've listed at as much as 35%-40% off guide, and I've never talked to anyone who had more than a passing interest.

In contrast, if you find a solid copy of ToS 39, JiM 83, Hulk 1 etc, you're lucky if you can get the book for guide. (usually they'll sell for a premium)

Obviously, many different factors go into what the market will pay for a comic. But a quick look at the CGC census shows that B&B 28 has roughly half the copies graded of any of the marvel comics still on the list. So despite being rarer, its still selling for less. This tells me.. just from my own experience.. that its less desired than any of the other books still on the list confused-smiley-013.gif

As far as which book is the most historically important, I can't speak to that at all. I have no idea what impact, if any, this comic truly had on the people working over at Marvel at the time. Though I can certainly understand the argument that the first JLA is more important than the first Iron Man or the first Thor.

(By the way, I can't find you a 9.2 B&B28, according to CGC one has never been graded. But I can sell you a VG copy of B&B 28 for $1 under GPA of the cheapest of the other 7 comics. But I have to warn you.. you'd be significantly overpaying.. poke2.gif)

Can't believe more people aren't voting off ol green skin , a very one dimensional character .

The character is a analogy for the human condition.

It is a fantasy scenario for people that are trained by society to be polite at all times. For everyone who ever wanted to just let their rage take control, this book is a dream/nightmare.

Inside every person is the capability of great and horrible things and what would happen if people lost control of that capability is a harrowing story....one that has been told is several different ways over the last 45 years without a wain in interest.

The struggle for control of oneself and one's world is something everyone faces on a daily basis and, even in this fictional accounting, something that strikes a chord basic to humanity.

The Hulk is only as one dimensional as the human psyche.

Chris

oh, brother.

this is akin to saying that the Swamp Thing transcended comics because Alan Moore was able to completely recreate the essential part of the character. i mean, yea sure ole Swampy started a run on giant muck-men back when he first appeared, but the work of Alan Moore could have happened to a new creation as easily as the old...The intention of a creation at the outset, and what it turned into years later are two completely different animals.

The Hulk early on was nothing more than the anti-geek. the Bully On The Beach, writ large and skinned green. blah blah blah blah.

If you want to argue that there were later iterations that delved into the pseudopsychological noodling you're suggesting, that's a nut of a different shell. But at the outset, ole greeny was just the progeny of the old Pre Hero monster Lee/Kirby days with the twist of having a super-genius alter-ego.

sumo.gif

no offense. just doing some debatin' flowerred.gif