• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Census 08/27/2003 - another discussion of Hulk 181

101 posts in this topic

Other than your rather-obvious embellishments and inaccuracies to what I wrote, do you have a circle of friends who all DO NOT share your interests?

I can honestly say that not a single person I hang out with on a regular basis collects comic books, and would guess that the same holds true for the majority of the collectors (not dealers or store owners) on this board. You're one of a kind my friend, one and only... confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for once again not addressing the BS you continue to post. Re-read your comments, if that's not too hard to do.

BTW, you should really take a few days off to think of some new tactics to drive me off the boards, assuming your limited intellect is up to the task.

Maybe we can make a post about this in Bronze...

Considering #1's in particular were speculated on, and 1st appearances too. What explanation is there for other Bronze Keys that just seem to be impossible to find above 9.4... but should be available in droves considering the age printed and amount bought (speculation)?

Here's just a few examples (mentioned in prior post)... and lets not forget the DC's.

If these were bought up in multiples too, why haven't they surfaced? I don't have better than 9.4 on these 3 and have been looking hard a long time.

I had a shot at a WW32 9.6 but it was miswrapped and looked between 9.4 and 9.6, However, there's twice as many TOD 10's which were printed earlier and must have been just as much under the radar. I saw the recent Defenders 10 9.6 (key only because of the cover really), but it did not cut it, but that's the only one I remember seeing.. (besides the 9.8 which I think was angled as well?)...still not many overall? Marvel Team Up #1 where is it? a #1..with Spidey?.. should have been bought up as much as any other #1. I know there's (2) 9.8's and (3) 9'6's.. but shouldn't there be more? The Black cover explanation can't be everything otherwise there'd be a ton of 9.4's at least (15)... not many considering polularity, demand and sales prices realized for 9.4's

What's up with this?

Could care less about most of these books but I can comment on the Marvel Team-up 1s. During my gem hunting days in the early 1990s in the Seattle area, my 2 sources for HG bronze Marvels had zero copies. One of them was a store operating from the 1960s and had multiples of everything. He still has multiples of everything because he was such a difficult person to deal with that a lot of people refused to buy from him. My better source in Seattle never had a single copy of MTU 1 for sale. He had lots of #2 but no #1. This is a guy who buy at least 50 copies of Iron Man 1 plus everything since then to the early 1970s. I recalled that this stock only went up to the 20 centers. He still has stock left, as his friend on eBay - bookfool - is selling the books for him. For example, he sold the first Defenders 1 CGC 9.8 that Josh bought, plus Spidey 101 CGC 9.6, Spidey 100 CGC 9.8, and Marvel Feature 1 CGC 9.6 all earlier this year. He was my source for my MF 1 CGC 9.8 and MS 5 CGC 9.6. I imagine that he just forgot to order that title for some reason or perhaps they had distribution problems in his area. The guy had everything else so confused-smiley-013.gif

One more time:

I have knowledge of such hoards, but since it's quite obvious that certain people on here take me to task for the slightest comment, I tend to concentrate on the "close at hand" examples.

Gotcha, I addressed that misunderstanding last post.

I'm not 'taking you to task" Vince (and I'll ignore the 'butt buddy" comment since I doubt you were referring to me)... I'm just questioning your positions, theories and challenges to my views... and as you do mine.

I don't often make a comment about bronze topics without you offering your opinion (and vice-versa to a lesser degree)... which I generally welcome when you're friendly about it. Naturally, I'm going to participate in the discussions and offer my counter-points/views as you do... to some sort of conclusion.

Although frustrating at times, because getting you to see my point is no easy task, I for the most part welcome your thoughts. I assumed you felt similarly?

Could care less about most of these books but I can comment on the Marvel Team-up 1s. During my gem hunting days in the early 1990s in the Seattle area, my 2 sources for HG bronze Marvels had zero copies. One of them was a store operating from the 1960s and had multiples of everything. He still has multiples of everything because he was such a difficult person to deal with that a lot of people refused to buy from him. My better source in Seattle never had a single copy of MTU 1 for sale. He had lots of #2 but no #1. This is a guy who buy at least 50 copies of Iron Man 1 plus everything since then to the early 1970s. I recalled that this stock only went up to the 20 centers. He still has stock left, as his friend on eBay - bookfool - is selling the books for him. For example, he sold the first Defenders 1 CGC 9.8 that Josh bought, plus Spidey 101 CGC 9.6, Spidey 100 CGC 9.8, and Marvel Feature 1 CGC 9.6 all earlier this year. He was my source for my MF 1 CGC 9.8 and MS 5 CGC 9.6. I imagine that he just forgot to order that title for some reason or perhaps they had distribution problems in his area. The guy had everything else so confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure wish he bought a few... getting this book above 9.4 (an all time favorite despite it being laughable in the day as I'm told) has proven to be a tough task. I just missed a 9.6 from Motor City about 2 years ago and the guys with the 9.8's won't leggo! mad.gif Thanks for the insight.

Bruce, you're not frustrating me, it's banner's grade-school tactics once again.

I mention I have a few friends who also collected comics and cards when they were younger, and he says he has absolutely no comic collecting friends ever, and that it's amazing all my friends collect comics, and all my friends agree with me, and all my friends are clones, and all my friends....

Banner's stupidity is enough to get me in the car and hunting for some hobos to beat up. 893frustrated.gif

Bruce, you're not frustrating me, it's banner's grade-school tactics once again.

I mention I have a few friends who also collected comics and cards when they were younger, and he says he has absolutely no comic collecting friends ever, and that it's amazing all my friends collect comics, and all my friends agree with me, and all my friends are clones, and all my friends....

Banner's stupidity is enough to get me in the car and hunting for some hobos to beat up. 893frustrated.gif

Just chill! cool.gif

Fight fire with fire. Get him! goodevil.gif

Sure wish he bought a few... getting this book above 9.4 (an all time favorite despite it being laughable in the day as I'm told) has proven to be a tough task. I just missed a 9.6 from Motor City about 2 years ago and the guys with the 9.8's won't leggo! Thanks for the insight.
Believe me...seeing only the #2 priced at $25 (yep...still remember the price) wasn't encouraging. At least I made better use of my $25 on his other books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tell you what Joe...since you're the only one around here (other than the late, not-so-great hammer) who repeatedly resorts to childish name-calling (I remember doing that in middle school confused-smiley-013.gif), I challenge you to bring that angle of your posts to an end. Things like insulting others intelligence, bragging about your own, calling people and various other names, your -phobic remarks, and the condescending nature of your posts are not conducive to level-headed discussion by others (me included).

This type of behaviour on your part has always been offensive, promotes an atmosphere of confrontation, and frankly, makes you come across as an arrogant, immature little pr1ck. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif If you do that, I'll quit "trying to drive you from the boards", and even toss in some free books with those Heros! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Later...

No problem Banner, as soon as you stop speaking in absolutes, where you twist comments like "a few friends who collected cards and comics" and turn it into everyone I ever knew, or ever will know, being rabid comic fiends. Or my statement that some co-workers hated Daredevil, suddenly transforming into everyone at the company totally agreeing with me about Daredevil

If you want to make a point, make it. Just use exactly what I said, and without any of your usual "embellishment".

Deal?

Yup, lookin' forward to your humor/informative posts (yes, I think you have these!), absent the spite. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I guess I'll just have to resort to liberal greggy-esque gremlin usage when your various stories and conspiracy theories make me shake my head in disbelief... makepoint.gif

There is really no reason to get a book CGC graded unless you plan to sell it. That being said, I'm sure there are many high grade Hulk 181s out there that are yet to be graded. I don't have anything approaching an intelligent estimate of that number, but it could be very large and I'd be wary to buy a copy at sky high prices when the supply is continually growing and demand has probably peaked or is close to peaking.

Other than your rather-obvious embellishments and inaccuracies to what I wrote, do you have a circle of friends who all DO NOT share your interests?

I can honestly say that not a single person I hang out with on a regular basis collects comic books, and would guess that the same holds true for the majority of the collectors (not dealers or store owners) on this board. You're one of a kind my friend, one and only... confused-smiley-013.gif

I definitly agree with drbanner here. I have collected comics since 1982-83 except for a 5 year period between 1993-98 and I don't have a single friend that is in the comic collecting hobby. Therefore, don't have any friends that have stacks of high grade Hulk 181s ungraded.

However, when I lived in AZ when I was in the Army in the early 90s at Ft. Huachuca I did frequent a comic shop in Tucson. This guy claimed that back when Hulk 181, GS X-men 1 came out he was allowed to go to the distributers warehouse and buy boxes of them. Was he just pulling my leg? confused-smiley-013.gif If he did, why would he not sell off a bunch to make some money instead of hoarding them? Which brings me to the following question.

Are those of you who are sitting on stacks of high grade Hulk 181, GS X-men 1, and X-men 94 going to take them to your grave to be buried with or in your twilight years will you sell them to give money to your grandchildren? To me it wouldn't make sense to die with stacks of high grade comics that your children or grandchildren might sell for cheap because they didn't share your love or knowledge of comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif