• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Census 08/27/2003 - another discussion of Hulk 181

101 posts in this topic

To me it wouldn't make sense to die with stacks of high grade comics that your children or grandchildren might sell for cheap because they didn't share your love or knowledge of comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This statement makes absolutely no sense, as if you really feel this way about valuable collectibles, then sell all your comics now!!!

One drunk driver crosses your path, and you're not posting here tomorrow. Sell! Sell! Sell!

There is really no reason to get a book CGC graded unless you plan to sell it. That being said, I'm sure there are many high grade Hulk 181s out there that are yet to be graded. I don't have anything approaching an intelligent estimate of that number, but it could be very large and I'd be wary to buy a copy at sky high prices when the supply is continually growing and demand has probably peaked or is close to peaking.

So, if this is the peak and prices are as high as they ever will be wouldn't it make more since for people holding onto hoards of HG Hulk 181s to sell now when they can get the most for their investment? I actually feel sorry that I sold a Hulk 181 CGC 8.5 for around $600 last year. I could have gotten more for it now.

Are those of you who are sitting on stacks of high grade Hulk 181, GS X-men 1, and X-men 94 going to take them to your grave to be buried with or in your twilight years will you sell them to give money to your grandchildren?

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone here has the alleged stacks of Hulk 181, GS X-men 1, and X-men 94 (although one poster showed some cool pics of stacks of Spidey 151!). The theory is that these people don't need the money so they're not selling, and they're not active in the hobby so they don't post on the boards, sell on ebay, etc.,. Or so I hear... confused-smiley-013.gif

To me it wouldn't make sense to die with stacks of high grade comics that your children or grandchildren might sell for cheap because they didn't share your love or knowledge of comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This statement makes absolutely no sense, as if you really feel this way about valuable collectibles, then sell all your comics now!!!

One drunk driver crosses your path, and you're not posting here tomorrow. Sell! Sell! Sell!

First of all, I am not claiming I am sitting on stacks of HG Hulk 181s which is what this whole thread is about. Taking 1 HG Hulk to your grave is one thing, but taking 50 HG copies is insanity. insane.gif If I did have a stack of them you could bet your life I would be selling a lot of them right now. Your whole argument is that Hulk 181 prices have peaked and is a poor investment because people are sitting on stacks of them. Therefore, it would make more sense for a person to sell if he had them. To do anything else wouldn't be logical if you truly believed Hulk 181 has peaked.

I keep saying I'll stop talking Hulk 181, but no on else will ... confused-smiley-013.gif

Can we start a new thread about other bronze keys and theories as to their abundance or scarcity. I found that discussion "fresh" ..and pretty cool so far?

Bruce, I gave you a nice little in to talk about the Defenders 10, but you didn't take it! tongue.gif

But since we are on the Hulk 181 I have no doubt that this book is hoarded. This is what the smart money would do if you have a stash of 25 (or more) hulk 181s that you think could grade 9.4:

I would let a few books a month get graded with what I would consider the true NM+ to NM/MT (if such books even exist) out slowly like once every 6 months.

Then what to do? I would literally have a different friend put the book up on ebay every single month. Do it just like that. If I put a new Hulk 181 cgc 9.4 up on ebay each month then the price would surely go down as people would speculate on how many copies I really have. But if "dam60" puts one up, "bronzebruce13" puts one up, bug, FD with two since he is already a power seller, greggy can get one, etc. no one would know that these are really all from me and the same collection!

Then you just have to hope that you can do this long enough before the bubble crashes and this book falls a bit . . .

Maybe still keep 10 copies in 9.6 if you want, but to keep all 25 raw in your mylars doesn't seem to be the way to go . . .

DAM

Hey Dam,

Sorry I missed it. I'm going to start a new thread in bronze about other bronze keys and why the supply is what it is, etc. I'm so tired of talking Hulk 181 to be honest. Both sides have decent arguments and I summed up my feelings overall in the other Hulk thread in bronze. The comments you brought up make sense and have been discussed to some degree.

We can talk Defenders 1, 10 and others later when I get that thread running. I want to give it more thought before I start it.

Hey Dam,

Sorry I missed it. I'm going to start a new thread in bronze about other bronze keys and why the supply is what it is, etc. I'm so tired of talking Hulk 181 to be honest. Both sides have decent arguments and I summed up my feelings overall in the other Hulk thread in bronze. The comments you brought up make sense and have been discussed to some degree.

We can talk Defenders 1, 10 and others later when I get that thread running. I want to give it more thought before I start it.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Your friends are very unique if you ask me.

Here's something to chew on. You're looking at a guy sitting on multiple Wayne Gretzky rookies (among other 70's keys), a few of which are perfectly centered (rare) and candidates for 9 and higher. Now why would someone sit on this sort of thing, especially since I bought these as a kid?

My wife says it best whenever I mention selling off my old junk:

"Why? Do you really need the money?"

Hey, JC, if you don't really need the money can you make a $25 donation to comics4kids, cbldf, or actor?

I noticed that you missed out on the CGC Forum Philanthropy and wanted to give you a chance to participate.

Thanks,

DAM

Hey Dam,

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Your friends are very unique if you ask me.

Here's something to chew on. You're looking at a guy sitting on multiple Wayne Gretzky rookies (among other 70's keys), a few of which are perfectly centered (rare) and candidates for 9 and higher. Now why would someone sit on this sort of thing, especially since I bought these as a kid?

My wife says it best whenever I mention selling off my old junk:

"Why? Do you really need the money?"

Hey, JC, if you don't really need the money can you make a $25 donation to comics4kids, cbldf, or actor?

I noticed that you missed out on the CGC Forum Philanthropy and wanted to give you a chance to participate.

Thanks,

DAM

I heard the charity market was about to crash......

Thanks,

DAM

shocked.gif whoaaa! that was "ballsy" David! grin.gif

Hmmmmm.... If Vince grades just one of those many GS XM 1's and donates it to charity he could become the forum's most beloved philanthropist overnight! If he graded two of them and donated the funds of the 2nd to the remaining "Church's"... he'd become an industry legend (for righting that wrong) and probably get intense positive press in the CBG and Scoop!

All that postive "comic karma" for just 2 (of many) duplicates he bought in multi-paks as a kid for under a buck!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

If he graded two of them and donated the funds of the 2nd to the remaining "Church's"... he'd become an industry legend (for righting that wrong)

Believe me, if I had somehow (while under the influence) bought all those Church books for that price, believe me, I would be donating more than a GS X-Men #1. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Otherwise, why would I bother clearing off some of Chuck's negative karma? What goes around, comes around.

I have contributed to ACTOR, which is one comic-based charity I truly believe in.

JC, I like ACTOR a lot too - did you know this (bold):

From: ACTORcomicfund@aol.com | This is spam | Add to Address Book

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:06:52 EDT

Subject: Re: Donations

To: davidmatteini@yahoo.com

CC: JMclauch@aol.com, plitch@cgccomics.com

Dave,

We would be honored to be selected by the CGC Forums for your fundraising drive. Please let me know how we can help with details, press, etc. It would work best for us if the checks are payable to ACTOR Comic Fund. If you would like us to collect the dollars, we can keep a tally of donations and donors to share with you. (FYI - We send out acknowledgment letters and donation receipts for each individual to use at tax time.) Also, please know that dollars received not only go towards assisting the comic book creators. We are also looking into adding programs such as health insurance and financial planning seminars for those within the industry. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Janine

=====================

Janine Bielski

Development Director

ACTOR Comic Fund

310-286-0758 x440 Phone

775-429-8029 Fax

www.actorcomicfund.org

Why don't you send them another donation and tell them it's for the cgc forum philanthropy drive! smile.gif

Or if you want to donate a book for the next round of auctions, please let me know.

DAM

Hey Dam,

Bruce, your last threads about re-reading books, et al rock! Give it some thought and I'll look for it whenever you are ready . . .

DAM

Why don't you send them another donation and tell them it's for the cgc forum philanthropy drive! smile.gif

After all the love and kindness I've been shown... why?

JC - that's a great point. You take a lot of [!@#%^&^] on these boards for theories that I personally don't necessarily disagree with. Yet you also give a huge "holier than thou" attitude that fans the flames of this fire that you're caught in. Well, here's your chance to show everyone that you really are the bigger man and that you will contribute for the cause because in your own words "you don't need the money" and it would be the right thing to do.

Will you step up?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

Forum members philanthropy from Bruce's auction:

From: donations@networkforgood.org | This is spam | Add to Address Book

To: davidmatteini@yahoo.com

Subject: Receipt for donation through Network for Good

Date: 13 Aug 2003 20:51:25 -0400

Thank you for your generosity!

Thank you for your tax-deductible contribution using the Network for

Good Giving System. You may save or print this receipt for your records.

It certifies that you have made this donation as a charitable

contribution and you are not receiving any goods or services in return. This

receipt may be useful to you when completing your tax return.

Your credit card will be billed as Network for Good instead of the

names of the charities receiving the funds. All donations are final and

may not be refunded. Your donation will be processed as follows:

Name: David Matteini

Address: 201 East 12th St Apt 511

City: New York

State/Province: NY

Zip/Postal Code: 10003

E-mail: davidmatteini@yahoo.com

Method of Payment: Visa

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003

Time: 8:51 PM

Authorization: Accepted

Nonprofit Organization: A COMMITMENT TO OUR ROOTS INC

Address: 11301 Olympic Blvd Los Angeles , CA 90064

Designated Project: CGC Forum Philanthropy

Dedication:

Amount: $400.00

Thank you for your generosity!

Thank you for your tax-deductible contribution using the Network for

Good Giving System. You may save or print this receipt for your records.

It certifies that you have made this donation as a charitable

contribution and you are not receiving any goods or services in return. This

receipt may be useful to you when completing your tax return.

Your credit card will be billed as Network for Good instead of the

names of the charities receiving the funds. All donations are final and

may not be refunded. Your donation will be processed as follows:

Name: David Matteini

Address: 201 East 12th St Apt 511

City: New York

State/Province: NY

Zip/Postal Code: 10003

E-mail: davidmatteini@yahoo.com

Method of Payment: Visa

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003

Time: 8:55 PM