• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone dealt with Ebayer "dodofive"?

43 posts in this topic

dodofive

I bid on a half dozen of his books in May. It took 5 weeks for them to arrive (even though he's about 150 km away from me) and when I'd email him, he'd reply with one line emails like "shipped this week"... A week later I'd email again and he'd say "at a convention. will ship today" ... And I'd wait some more.

But at least they finally arrived (albeit slightly over-graded).

In the meantime -- a week or so after I won the first bunch of auctions, but before I realized how poor his communication and shipping was -- I won another single book from him. It's now been close to 6 weeks and still no book.

Here's the exact trail of our correspondence:

Me (June 19): "Can you let me know when this shipped? Still no sign of it. Thanks."

Dodofive (June 20): "you will have it this week"

Me (June 27): "More than a week has passed and still no book. This auction ended on May 31st, four weeks ago. What's up?"

Dodofive (June 27): "What was your shipping address?"

Me (June 27): send him my address

Dodofive: no response

Me (June 28): "Still no book. Did you get my address, and did the book ship?"

Dodofive (Sun July 1): "if not by this week i will refund you"

Me (Mon July 9): "It didn't arrive. Please arrange to refund my money ASAP. Thanks."

Dodofive: no response

Me (Wed July 11): "It still hasn't arrived. Please process a full refund ASAP."

Me: Christo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

I've dealt with him a number of times,

Yes, he's painfully slow and the communication is lacking.

My understanding based on other board members is that the guy you talk to in emails (the owner of the books) is not the same guy who does the listings and the mailing. The owner tends to travel constantly and has little knowledge of what's going on back home.

I don't think he's maliciously tryng to rip anyone off, it's just a very scatter-brained organization. I've grown accustomed to waiting a long time for the books to arrive, but so far they always have. The grading is not dead-on but I think it is way above average for ebay.

The emails are from Don. I did a search here and I understand that Don is the father of Wes, who runs the comics business, and that Don handles some of the correspondence.

Still doesn't excuse the poor service.

I've bought from him before. There's been various threads about him, or where he gets mentioned. Search for either Don or Wes Hagen, dodofive, or the other ebay account he has that I'm forgetting. crazy.gif I think he signed up briefly here. Board opinion seems split about 50/50 on him, communication always seems to be an issue. I'm not a staunch supporter, but I don't think he's out to rip anybody off.

I've bought from him a few times and he's someone that I can rely on for pretty good grading (eBay-wise). A plus for me is that he's in Canada. The negative is his communication is pretty damned bad. It's either a 1-4 word reply or no reply at all.

Andy

DrewinCanada: I've had almost the same dealings with Dodofive during that very same time frame with the same response and lack of responses except my books finally showed up.

I've bought from him several times over the years and while I like his prose in the auctions and give positive feedback he never reciprocates and after the latest shipment I emailed that I would never be purchasing again due to the latest experience and lack of communication.

Sounds like Papa needs to come home and clean house.

This guy's kind of a crackhead - I bought some books off him, received only half of the order, and emailed him asking for the missing books or a refund.

He replied back email-screaming and yelling that "me a big comic dealer" and "any negatives I post will not mean nothing", using his non-existent English skills to try and harass me. I emailed back explaining the situation, giving auction links and the Paypal receipt - same threats back from him.

It took literally 10+ emails for this guy to figure out he screwed me out of 4-5 books, and then he quickly refunded my money.

I never bought from him again.

I've bought from him before. There's been various threads about him, or where he gets mentioned. Search for either Don or Wes Hagen, dodofive, or the other ebay account he has that I'm forgetting.

His other ebay handle is gbbco or something like that.

Wes is an honest guy and a good grader, but organization and customer service skills are not his strong suit. I believe Don is his father who helps him out with the ebay business.

Yep, that's where he sells the CGC books, and dodofive is where he pawns off the CGC pre-screen rejects.

Good business plan, but woe is he who buys from a dodo looking for CGC submission gold. :cry:

I've bought from Wes both online and I finally met him for the first time this past Mega-Con. Real nice guy that generally has some sweet books for sale. All of my transactions with him have been just fine. He strikes me as a little tempermental, but which comic dealer you know doesn't?

I have nothing negative to say about the man, its been all positive dealings so far.

Yep, that's where he sells the CGC books, and dodofive is where he pawns off the CGC pre-screen rejects.

Good business plan, but woe is he who buys from a dodo looking for CGC submission gold. :cry:

Can anyone confirm his other handle? There's no ebayer with the handle "gbbco".

Its gccbco

and contrary to what jc says, the books for sale under this handle are not all prescreen rejects