• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 94 to 143 CGC 9.4 run

24 posts in this topic

Where's the scan for #94? Am I missing it?

I see a red "x" as well where the 94 should be, but the Star TRek DVd set??/ WTF?

This seller is legit, so I had no problem bidding despite the private auction. He used to be the main DF hook up. If you wanted COA's number #1- 10 of any DF ltd series, he had it....

I know Bruce, and thanks.

On another note, anyone hesitant to take part, knowing this is a private auction? I thought the $50/book current price is pretty high, given the auction's got a lot of time left.

Any estimates on the value per book this lot warrants? That horrible mis-cut on the X-Men 101 ruins a prime one, and there are some other POS's, but still a bunch of nice books.

Estimates?

I think as a set it "has a chance" to do better than what individual sales would be... even though it defies that established theorem Gene talks about. I've done it successfully several times and so have others... but on "smaller sets". I have not tracked the results of these larger runs though and figure its a crapshoot. It will really come down to who's out there right now.. willing and able.

There is obviously no shortage of New X-Men fans and those trying to put together the classic run. A 9.4 set is financially attainable and for those that were going to put together a CGC set anyway (over time picking them off one by one)... its a very tempting situation. I'd bet there are more than a few X-Men collectors with the resources to grab the lot in one shot. The thought of saving tons of individual shipping charges, a great deal of time, and also having the satisfaction of accomplishing the task in short order can have an impact on their reasoning.

I don't think the average buyer is "as" concerned with miswraps and are as particular as the avg. board member... even so this lot only has a few (101, 107 in particular) low "eye appeal" copies... so that could be a further incentive to buy it.

I have no prediction as I don't want to look up all the average sales to form one. Maybe the question should be... "will it go higher or lower than the current avg. individual sales prices"?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think as a set it "has a chance" to do better than what individual sales would be... even though it defies that established theorem Gene talks about. I've done it successfully several times and so have others... but on "smaller sets". I have not tracked the results of these larger runs though and figure its a crapshoot.

I've *never* seen any of these mega-CGC'd runs hit reserve. 95+% of the time, the seller would be better off breaking up the collection into either smaller pieces or single books.

Several Nobel Prize-winning economists would agree with me on that. grin.gif

Gene

I've *never* seen any of these mega-CGC'd runs hit reserve.

I agree, and even though this auction doesn't have an actual reserve, the "private auction" is likely a cheaper method of doing the same thing using another account.

Gene, any predictions on what the second-highest bid will be? 27_laughing.gif

I posted it above in case you missed it?

250717-scan0001.jpg

Dude, that is the ugliest cover ever? Puke green - who's count nefaria ...another 5th tier x-men villain that makes spidey's rogue gallery all out to be doc dooms...freaking the 70's and their damn obsession with played out horror, is this another blade/morbius hybrid wannabe? count Nefaria...hah...puhleezze

No clue why this book is even in the same breath(league) as GS X-men 1 with it's superior cover that has been duped and redone time and again on other covers as an homage...name another Puke Green homage to this horrid excuse for a cover? insane.gif

tongue.gif

I posted it above in case you missed it?

250717-scan0001.jpg

Dude, that is the ugliest cover ever? Puke green - who's count nefaria ...another 5th tier x-men villain that makes spidey's rogue gallery all out to be doc dooms...freaking the 70's and their damn obsession with played out horror, is this another blade/morbius hybrid wannabe? count Nefaria...hah...puhleezze

No clue why this book is even in the same breath(league) as GS X-men 1 with it's superior cover that has been duped and redone time and again on other covers as an homage...name another Puke Green homage to this horrid excuse for a cover? insane.gif

tongue.gif

confused.gif

is the tongue.gif in reference to my past posts in which I said this was not one of my favorite covers at all... primaily due to the puke green color? If so, my recent comment of "sweet" was in reference to the fact that it was centered very nicely both horizontally and vertcally.. and had White pages. I'd like that copy.

No the tongue.gif applies to the post in general - I was reading the other threads on GS Xmen 1 vs Xmen 94 and significance in the whole New X-men run...

I think I said I didn't like the puke green cover in another post back in the day (thread was on Start and end of Bronze age..let's bring that back again 893frustrated.gif)

I've *never* seen any of these mega-CGC'd runs hit reserve. 95+% of the time, the seller would be better off breaking up the collection into either smaller pieces or single books.

Well, since I'm bored I did the math on this set. Average sales price as per GPAnalysis for the set is $6400. So we'll see if this set beats the average that these books go for in singles.