• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whenever I see a high grade GA book.....................

10 posts in this topic

can't help but think that the book is a resub with a higher grade. I say to myself: How much higher do I want to pay for a 9.2 that was a 9.0 in a former life? Sure I can call for the notes and evaluate the pictures but am I getting a weak 9.2 (or worked on book) rather than a strong 9.0?

Do others consider the history of the book or simply evaluate the book independently in it's present stage?

So far I only made a very preliminary look at the upcoming Heritage auction but this book caught my eye based on a scan I thought I remembered. A small amount of checking and here is the rest of the story.

Superman 8 -Heritage

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=825&Lot_No=44386

versus: Superman 8 -Heritage archives

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=813&Lot_No=1356&src=pr

Looks the same to me. How do I determine what price I should bid??

personally, i evaluate a book independently at its present stage.

i figure, what does it matter of where it has been, or what grades it has had in the past. I evaluate a book in it's present state and ask mysel "what is this book in this grade worth to me?"

but as i am quite new to collecting, compared to some others on this forum, im guessing my evaluation/buying tactics differ from most.

anyone?

personally, i evaluate a book independently at its present stage.

i figure, what does it matter of where it has been, or what grades it has had in the past. I evaluate a book in it's present state and ask mysel "what is this book in this grade worth to me?"

but as i am quite new to collecting, compared to some others on this forum, im guessing my evaluation/buying tactics differ from most.

anyone?

Unfortunately a scan of a slab provides limited information: resto check: grade; and, a digital photo that may or may not be representative of colour values. You can, of course, request graders notes, but these are limited notations.

If the book never leaves the slab then a collector may not worry about whether it was a weak grade or the type of hidden flaws that might lie within.

I think the strength of jkrk's observation lies in that re-subbing for a higher grades leaves question marks beside the issues of manipulation and the potentially great increases in price with grade bumps.

My 12¢

Dennis

I also make it a point to check the Heritage archives whever I buy a book to see if it was reslabbed or not. Its just part of a sound decision making process IMHO.

Will I still buy a book that has gotten a bump higher? Yes, if the book appears worthy of the grade AND if the grader's notes reveal the new grade is not a weak one (for instance, I own a CGC 9.2 Subby # 35 that was previously a CGC 9.0. At some point, it was likely pressed and resubbed. The three graders gave it a 9.4, 9.2, 9.2 on the resub and the book looks every bit worthy of a 9.2. So, I figured it was worth it).

Also, the next highest copy is a fugly 8.5 with unsightly tan lines that someone really overpaid for, so I had no problem buying a book with a bump that would've been the nicest copy I could've bought anyway even if it hadn't been resubbed.

Make sense?

Oh, and jkrk, nice to see you again bud. That Subby # 17 I bought from you sure is a keeper. :grin:

For me, a books past history has no bearing. It is either a book I would want or it isn't. What it sold for in the past or whether it has changed grades doesn't matter to me a bit. I look at it purely in the grade it is in now and if it fits what I am looking for I go for it. I would hate to pass up a book that, in it's present state is perfectly suited for my collection, because I was worried that some previous or present owner might be making a large profit on an upgrade.

For me, a books past history has no bearing. It is either a book I would want or it isn't. What it sold for in the past or whether it has changed grades doesn't matter to me a bit. I look at it purely in the grade it is in now and if it fits what I am looking for I go for it. I would hate to pass up a book that, in it's present state is perfectly suited for my collection, because I was worried that some previous or present owner might be making a large profit on an upgrade.

I tend to agree with richard....especially since I don't go after high grade books in general....how anyone can really tell the difference between a strong 9.0 and a weak 9.2 is beyond my vg/fn mentality!

If I want it at the price offered, I buy it...that simple...

rick

I tend to agree with richard....especially since I don't go after high grade books in general....how anyone can really tell the difference between a strong 9.0 and a weak 9.2 is beyond my vg/fn mentality!

If I want it at the price offered, I buy it...that simple...

rick

Ditto--except for the high grade part :)

I could care less what someone paid for a book - if they bought a thousand dollar book for ten dollars, then it's a thousand dollar book.

I do however have an interest in a book's condition history. Whether buying a used car, a home, or a valuable old comic, the more information (read 'disclosure'), the better.

and one can't know whether the bump from the resub is just an acceptable variation from the first time through--the supe that began this thread didn't only bump up from 9.0 to 9.2, it improved a click in page quality as well. i don't think pressing does that, so the p.q. was simply the beneficiary of a more favorable look the second time--why can't that be what happened to the structural grade as well?