• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta

71 posts in this topic

here's one of my national lampoons. besides the occasional frazetta, they're packed with great stuff. not to derail, but i'm including a very bizarre roy thomas appearance (dec 1972) for your enjoyment too. before you think i'm joking, that's really him on the left. :o

41439-roythomas.jpg.8fe98d1fd6e7632dd74e2b907d79a15d.jpg

41440-frazetta.jpg.e322493b03343c0a8489131feb2f9cd2.jpg

Nice never seen that cover before. Regarding the stigma of magazines, you really have to wonder about the going rate of magazines with Frazetta covers like this. Compared to some of the "classic" horror covers, these things are simply masterpieces. Yet you can't sell one for $10 unless its ultra high grade.

If I were a Bronze Age collector, I know where I'd start to focus, especially horror.

Here are two more from the same ebay seller.

He has quite a few paperback book Frazettas and all 3 Lampoon Frazettas.

LAMPOON13.jpg

DRAGULA.jpg

I really liked Adams' Deadman, (Dead Man?) and Son 'o' God Comics.

I've never seen this one.

HIGHSIDE.jpg

Very cool, Spider.

Here's a weird story.

I used to own all the Edger Rice Burrough's paperback Frazettas, all the Lancer Conans as well as around 50 other misc. Frazetta paperback covers. I had to move across the country and couldn't take them with me so I removed all the covers, front and back, and kept them.

Those Robert E. Howard paperbacks with Jeff Jones covers, too.

My favorite was The Outlaw of Torn. I had an airbrush artist make an almost exact duplicate of it on a t-shirt. Someone stole it.

1733_12.jpg

So who's better and more important to the world of art/publised art.

Frank Frazetta or Norman Rockwell?

I'd have to say Rockwell, but not by much. Within the comic world, Frazetta really is in a class by himself. Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, and Wil Eisner among others could be lumped together as top tier but there really is no better artist that this guy.

So who's better and more important to the world of art/publised art.

Frank Frazetta or Norman Rockwell?

I'd have to say Rockwell, but not by much. Within the comic world, Frazetta really is in a class by himself. Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, and Wil Eisner among others could be lumped together as top tier but there really is no better artist that this guy.

That's really like comparing apples to Oranges. Franks popularity has his fans who enjoy

a Pop Cultural base. Where Norman's popularity comes from people who can connect

to his illustrations through real life. People who experienced war, social hard times, and

other real life experiences.

They both are/were very talented artists who understood design, color, and painting.

you could argue that Norman used considerable photo reference, while Frank used his

mind's eye more. I would agree with that.

Norman's body of work was considerably more that Franks. While Frank stretched his talents to other mediums.

The American Myth. The Good Ole Days.

Nostalgia for a time and place that never existed.

Just an idea. I wasn't sure if it fit. I need to ruminate over it for a while.

It certainly fits Frazetta. Where would Conan, or, for that matter, Robert E. Howard, be if not for Frazetta's Lancer book covers? He made sci-fi/fantasy more palatable for non-fans.

They could not be more apart in terms of technique. Just look at an extreme close-up of Frazetta's paintings and notice the brushwork. Now compare it too Rockwell's. Big diff.

Subject matter, technique, income. They are more different than similar.

Could be a case of apples and oranges.

I was reaching for similarities but it turns out to be more of a stretch to link them, somehow.

The American Myth. The Good Ole Days.

Nostalgia for a time and place that never existed.

There were places in America that actually looked like Norman's paintings.

People did look as he portrayed them. There were poor neighborhoods (still

are) There were families that were close as he portrayed.

Sure, he illustrated some situations that were ideal, and from stories.

Norman also wanted to ( and did )reach people in a way that brought

people together and brought them hope.

I love Frank's work, and imagination. This, he has head over heals over Norman.

Though Frank's audience is not the QVC, or Hallmark type audience: he has

shown a art community that a genius can shine in a commercial world.

It's my opinion that Frank is to fine art, as Zappa is to classical music.