• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Cleaned = Restored

8 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

Quick question!! Since it is viewed that having a cover cleaned is restoration, can that type of resto be reversed to lose the "restored" or "apparant grade" designation?? Has anyone had this type of work done to remove it....or can it lose the cleaned appearance over time with good ol' fashioned neglect?? :crazy:

nope, once a cover is aqueous cleaned, there is no reversal

gator

Not even if you rub dirt on it :P

Thanks for the answer Rick!!!

btw...I've compiled the checklist ...just waiting on a call for the others as a longbox is in storage...then I'll be returning you a PM this afternoon!!!

Paul

From what I can remember... I think the liquid used in an aquaous wash doesn't effect the fibers as we would think moisture would. It can effect the inks quite a bit... but the paper's fibers should be fine compared to what we would think... the book's pages are also pressed after a bath and drying as far as I know...

From what I can remember... I think the liquid used in an aquaous wash doesn't effect the fibers as we would think moisture would. It can effect the inks quite a bit... but the paper's fibers should be fine compared to what we would think... the book's pages are also pressed after a bath and drying as far as I know...

The problem is that the book is disassembled to clean the cover or any interior leaves. The solvent cleaning is actually a conservative process taking oils out of the paper fibre that have been soaked up from the book. Early Marvels are the worst for this because of the type of ink they used. There is no way to undo it once it's been done. If it is just a "dry" cleaning then it is not considered restoration by CGC though it may drop the grade if not done properly (ie rub marks).

R.

A water cleaning will change the structure of the fibers I believe. Where's FFB when you need him for a geeked out explanation.

Maybe it's how well it's done. I've seen a lot of covers that look and feel thicker after a water cleaning and pressing.

If it is just a "dry" cleaning then it is not considered restoration by CGC though it may drop the grade if not done properly (ie rub marks).

R.

I thought dry cleaning was still considered resto by CGC if it is detected?

I might be mistaken (shrug)