• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Board... Anything anyone likes so far?
2 2

298 posts in this topic

I mentioned one of the things that I really liked about the update in another thread - one of things I have planned with my own full-scale release slated for Aug is to allow our clients to continue to use the previous version until they've had a chance to play around and familiarize themselves in the new environment. The way we will announce it will be done by email, and will include links to the new area so they can familiarize themselves with it, as well as online orientation and tutorial sessions scheduled weekly.

The new version will be a drastic change - however the system will be far more powerful, intuitive and user-friendly. Early reactions from our client-base has been extremely positive, and most are awaiting its availability with great anticipation.

The reason why I'm drawing on this example is because updates of any kind - hardware or software - can and will present many unforeseen circumstances. The way to minimize the bumps and grinds are best handled with strategy, planning and upgrade/update simulation. The last part just allows you to anticipate the really scary stuff that could happen, but even with the best laid out planning, you are still very likely to end up with some quirks or bugs. The last and final point is that some people are suckers for routine - and those creatures of habit will never be as welcoming to any kind of change.

The difference between paying clients and members that frequent a message board is obvious - you have to satisfy the paying customer. However, in my experiences, giving users the option to continue to use the version they are most comfortable with and giving them a bit of a push by way of a deadline to move into the new environment is one way to smoothen over the transition. I don't know as much about ubb.threads, but this appears to be primarily an interface change which might include some security, control and performance enhancements. As I see it, these are all good things because it means Arch and the guys at CGC are looking to keep these boards around for awhile (thumbs up

No problem.

Go to My Stuff... My Messages and there are your old PMs

Thanks, Bruce. Greggy actually helped me out via PM. doh!

The problem is that the "MY Messages" tab isn't viewable. The "Select another forum" drop down box covers this tab up for some reason and blocks all but a very top sliver of the button I have to press. doh! doh! doh!

It's viewable with good browsers! :P

If I don't have any new PM's which prompts the little flashing envelope at the top to click on...how in the hell do I get to my old PM's to read them?

I've searched every frigging link on this new "improved" forum and haven't been able to find them yet.

Edit: Sorry, Bruce...this was supposed to be a positive thread. On the positive side...I DO like the threaded PM's so you can follow the conversation.

Click on "My Stuff".......you'll see a menu scroll down, but where you see "Comics General" or "Select a new forum" put your mouse over it, right click & open. There's a problem with some browsers & you don't see "My Mail".

Edited by FUELMAN

I'm not sure if its an error or intended... but it would be favorable if it could be further sorted down.

I really like the "active topic feature" as it makes it unnecessary to jump around forums to see if there are any new replies to topics you were participating in or following. That will save some time and also perhaps increase your activity in other forums you don't routinely frequent otherwise.

Was this feature here prior? if so, I don't know how I missed it.

Definitely agree it would be most powerful if it could be sorted down further or even customized.

I'd love all comic forums less gold, original art, original art marketplace + watercooler.

Hint Arch: a customizable "Active Topic Feature" would be awesome if possible.

btw making the above line bold and blue took 1.5 seconds = A+++

Another thing, the "Active Topics" feature doesn't seem to work right, and shows topics for the ENTIRE forum, rather than the area you are currently in. If I wanted to get into coins, I'd take out my brain and start shuffling through my loose change.

I've never seen it work this way on other forums, and it's either an incorrect setting or a UBB bug.

Insightful POV as usual Joseph (thumbs up

btw... I like that my graemlin insertion goes where I intend it to immediately. In the past (unless I was doing something wrong - I do prefer to comment above a quote) I would have to cut it from the bottom and paste it where I wanted it.

I mentioned one of the things that I really liked about the update in another thread - one of things I have planned with my own full-scale release slated for Aug is to allow our clients to continue to use the previous version until they've had a chance to play around and familiarize themselves in the new environment. The way we will announce it will be done by email, and will include links to the new area so they can familiarize themselves with it, as well as online orientation and tutorial sessions scheduled weekly.

The new version will be a drastic change - however the system will be far more powerful, intuitive and user-friendly. Early reactions from our client-base has been extremely positive, and most are awaiting its availability with great anticipation.

The reason why I'm drawing on this example is because updates of any kind - hardware or software - can and will present many unforeseen circumstances. The way to minimize the bumps and grinds are best handled with strategy, planning and upgrade/update simulation. The last part just allows you to anticipate the really scary stuff that could happen, but even with the best laid out planning, you are still very likely to end up with some quirks or bugs. The last and final point is that some people are suckers for routine - and those creatures of habit will never be as welcoming to any kind of change.

The difference between paying clients and members that frequent a message board is obvious - you have to satisfy the paying customer. However, in my experiences, giving users the option to continue to use the version they are most comfortable with and giving them a bit of a push by way of a deadline to move into the new environment is one way to smoothen over the transition. I don't know as much about ubb.threads, but this appears to be primarily an interface change which might include some security, control and performance enhancements. As I see it, these are all good things because it means Arch and the guys at CGC are looking to keep these boards around for awhile (thumbs up

That will save some time and also perhaps increase your activity in other forums you don't routinely frequent otherwise.

lol - are you now on the CGC payroll Bruce?

Come on, that's like searching Google and coming up with totally unrelated pages, which would "expand my horizons in other areas".

When I'm reading the CGC COMICS forum and I hit ACTIVE TOPICS, then it should be quite obvious that I want to see the active comic-related threads right? Same with coins and cards.. otherwise, I'd navigate to the generic forums area and do the search from there.

Logical, no?

And it's not rocket science, as that's what the function does on other forums.

I did get a good chuckle from watching people complain, then 6 hours later say something positive... it's human nature...

Were you even HERE when the new forums opened up? Arch was toying with the settings and colors, and there were some really freakass things happening, eye-wracking color schemes, etc. which elicited the negative comments. Then Arch toned some other stuff up, hence the positive comments.

It's similar to having your house remodeled, and nothing working when you open the door. Suddenly you're cheering when they get the toilets working and turn on the hot water. It's not that you are happy, but that anything would be an improvement.

And some bozo walking in AFTER it's mostly fixed up and telling the family they were "all over-reacting" and that it "wasn't that bad" is exactly what you're doing.

Vince, Yes.. I was here.. and I saw the horror that everyone went thru... it was quite devastating.. ( that was sarcasm... ) but to compare this to someone coming into my home and violating the set up of my personal house is crazy man!!! This is a chat board... keep it in perspective ;)

Vince, Yes.. I was here.. and I saw the horror that everyone went thru... it was quite devastating.. ( that was sarcasm... ) but to compare this to someone coming into my home and violating the set up of my personal house is crazy man!!! This is a chat board... keep it in perspective ;)

I have better than 20/20 vision, or at least I did before Arch downgraded the forums, so I am keeping it in perspective. I honestly have trouble focusing after being on here for awhile, and others have commented about headaches due to the color/font/visuals on here.

Personally, I'd take my vision and health over my house anyday.

lol I wish... just lost my job.

No really, was that feature available before? Even if so, now that I'm aware of it... I do believe I would pop onto other topics in other forums I don't usually patrol if I saw a title that intrigued me. Without that feature, I would just click thru the (3-4) forums I routinely visit and would miss stuff that I *might* weigh in on. Scouts honor.

btw... answer my PMs when you get a moment.

That will save some time and also perhaps increase your activity in other forums you don't routinely frequent otherwise.

lol - are you now on the CGC payroll Bruce?

Come on, that's like searching Google and coming up with totally unrelated pages, which would "expand my horizons in other areas".

When I'm reading the CGC COMICS forum and I hit ACTIVE TOPICS, then it should be quite obvious that I want to see the active comic-related threads right? Same with coins and cards.. otherwise, I'd navigate to the generic forums area and do the search from there.

Logical, no?

And it's not rocket science, as that's what the function does on other forums.

BTW... Good Luck with your venture Joseph.

I know the site will kick *spork*! :headbang:

You and George Pantela are the most innovative "web guys" (for lack of a all-encompassing term) I've ever encountered inside the hobby or out.

...my own full-scale release slated for Aug

I like everything better except the scrolling quotes.

I'm sure they will fix the colors, fonts, and smilies soon enough.

BTW... Good Luck with your venture Joseph.

I know the site will kick *spork*! :headbang:

You and George Pantela are the most innovative "web guys" (for lack of a all-encompassing term) I've ever seen inside the hobby or out.

...my own full-scale release slated for Aug

Thanks Bruce! Had it not been for the geographical distance between me and George, we might already have been working together by now. Great person, and I'm really glad I got a chance to meet and hang out with him at the SD Comicon.

Agreed Mark... that would have been a more ideal plan of attack. I'm guessing that some of these problems were truly unexpected... hence the urgency to correct them.

btw.. what does Dorothy's dog from the Wizard of Oz have to do with this? :whatthe: :confused: :cool:

I am sure there are some features that are indeed improved from the past boards, but overall I really do remain unhappy with the changes in toto. :(

I should also add that I think it would have made far more sense to have unveiled the site once it was more completed rather than correcting piece-mail problems. Additionally, given the significant changes it probably would have behooved CGC to have afforded some users a beta-site to play with in order to receive feedback pre-unveiling (unless that was done and I am unaware of it).

Time will tell.

Edited by BronzeBruce13

Conference PM's?? you mean like 3-way calling?

That sounds cool.. like a private thread no one else can see. hm

I'll have to look into how to do that.

Threaded Pms(and the ability to have conference PMs) is pretty much the only thing I like about the upgrade.

I actually like the new boards...just one of many things I like about it is that when you title a thread you will see the complete title instead of having half of it cut off due to space constrictions... headbang.gif