• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Stories - Almost Fed Up...

15 posts in this topic

Well,

Here are 2 more stories to add to the great saga of :"Ebay Sucks(or almost)".

1) I sold a set of comics to a buyer about 2 months ago. Buyer does not answer messages until I file non-paying bidder complaint. Buyer then replies stating problems with Paypal, but will pay asap. Nothing happens for another 4 weeks, so I leave negative feedback and complete complaint. I then do a little research and learn the buyer bought the same set elsewhere (for a better price) AFTER winning mine, and BEFORE sending me the Paypal excuse message.

Folks like this really waste seller time & money.

2) This one is partially my fault, so I am somewhat upset with myself. I bought a book from a fellow Canadian, with the goal of saving s&h fees. I pay, and notice the rather high cost of s&h for one book, so I figure it's expedited or something similar. Ok, I think, but it takes nearly 2 weeks and comes in a paper envelope with 2 flimsy pieces of cardboard. Bottome line: I paid about twice what it should cost to ship a single book via regular.

I of course contact the seller, who proceeds to justify that all kinds of sellers charge inflated s&h to avoid paying higher Ebay fees so the bidder should take it into consideration when bidding. The seller also says I have to pay for their time. As I said to the seller, we don't pay extra everytime a clerk packs a bag for us or finds an item in store for us do we?

To me such justification is the same as telling me:"I like ripping you off so I don't have to pay higher Ebay fees." Good business (sarcasm intended).

I HATE sellers who take advantage of the buyers to benefit their wallets. The worst thing is many do not think they are doing anything wrong. But, I missed the item description quoting the EXACT cost for regular. I should have seen it, noticed the inflation, and buggered off.

-----------------------------------------------------

What do you guys/gals think about charging for "handling" and inflating s&h fees to offset Ebay fees? I do NOT charge a single penny for handling. If I were to follow that logic I'd also jack up the price of the books I sell at cons, etc... because I had to bag/board, drive, carry them, etc...

(Can you tell I'm upset this morning? )

I always figure the shipping and or buyer's premium (as in the case of Heritage) into my bids..its just good business sense.

If someone wants to charge $15 shipping for a $50 book on ebay, my max bid is $35. If I'm outbid, so be it.

Speaking of, while I've bought a ton of stuff from ebay the last two years, I can probably count on two hands all the comics I've sold. It's just not worth it. Between the steep listing and final value fees, plus the Paypal cut and the occasional delinquent buyer, it just isn't worth my time.

The Boards are a lot better. Comiclink too. But private sales rule the roost though, and that only happens when you network with other collectors and dealers.

If S&H to Toronto isn't listed in the auction, I will ask the seller for the exact charge prior to bidding.

I think it's the seller's prerogative to charge whatever they like for shipping and "handling", and it's the buyer's right not to do business with them if they feel the cost is too high.

Having said that, if the seller says that they are packing the book in a bulletproof box and shipping it via overnight Fedex - and charging accordingly - and the book arrives wrapped in tissue paper tied to the back of a turtle, then I'll complain.

A couple of times I've paid a good buck for expedited shipping, only to have the package arrive by regular mail with a $2 stamp on it.

If S&H to Toronto isn't listed in the auction, I will ask the seller for the exact charge prior to bidding.

I think it's the seller's prerogative to charge whatever they like for shipping and "handling", and it's the buyer's right not to do business with them if they feel the cost is too high.

Having said that, if the seller says that they are packing the book in a bulletproof box and shipping it via overnight Fedex - and charging accordingly - and the book arrives wrapped in tissue paper tied to the back of a turtle, then I'll complain.

A couple of times I've paid a good buck for expedited shipping, only to have the package arrive by regular mail with a $2 stamp on it.

I agree with that. I think I'm more upset with myself for having missed the seller's s&h fees in the item description. I always expect sellers to follow the same principles I abide by... Heck, I always REFUND my buyers if I've accidentally overcharged s&h.

How can I justify "handling" fees for a book that takes me 10 minutes to pack and ship? $4+ for 10 minutes of work is decent wage if you ask me!

Enough complaining from me today. I exercised my right and left NEUTRAL feedback, and will not shop there anymore. I might get a neutral or negative in return, but you know what, you have to take one sometimes for the better good of the community. Take one for the team!

I always figure the shipping and or buyer's premium (as in the case of Heritage) into my bids..its just good business sense.

If someone wants to charge $15 shipping for a $50 book on ebay, my max bid is $35. If I'm outbid, so be it.

And I disagree with this if you mean the seller is entitled to overcharge on s&h to make up for low bids/Ebay fees. They can certainly do so, but it is unethical, an I won't shop with them. Buyers should not have to absorb the seller's overhead.

Buyer's premiums are another matter altogether.

I don't mind paying a little extra for shipping if the seller does what they say. I paid $9.50 for priority mail on $350 worth of comics 3 weeks ago this Tues. and I still have not seen the books. (1 state away) It has gotten stupid at this point, I emailed him Friday about it with no response yet. rantrantra

On another note If the shipping difference is less than $2.00 I usually don't refund overcharges since any more than that and I give a refund. I look at the cost of supplies gas etc. and sometimes it works out I undercharge.

I hate it when people overcharge for shipping. IMO, I don't think anyone should ever charge for "handling". That's just rediculous. Anyone that sells on-line knows that they will have to package the item and bring it to the post office. That's part of the work involed when you sell on-line. Just like scanning and uploading images.

now we r in the times of free pick up! ive gone to the post office only to pick up suplies :) there for i charge 4$ for shipping :) i dont have to go out so they dont pay. but i have noticed what i think is the worst, where people charge say $4 for shipping but if u get 4 items u pay $4 for each item. most the time i will give free shipping on bigger items.they r spending enough with me already so its no big deal.

if you have made your profit there is no need to make so much more in my eyes.if i sell a book for 10 that i paid 5 for im happy ,yes i may have been able to get more but a profit is a profit :)

i have also paid for overnight shipping and gottin snail mail.i have also sent the item back without even signing for it.i have had 10+items come say priorety when i paid for overnight and they get sent back for it. untill they get it right i wont accept it.now some say its a waiste of time to send it back once i have it here but i dont see it that way.i paid for a service and by gosh im getting it.

If the seller has good feedback and tells you the shipping costs upfront then there shouldn't be a problem. If the shipping is to much, I don't bid. I also believe that thats part of the overall cost of the auction. I've seen auctions on CGC books with shipping over $20 for priority mail which is way to much. I also will not bid if the seller doesn't list or provide a calculator to help me figure it out.

I hate it when people overcharge for shipping. IMO, I don't think anyone should ever charge for "handling". That's just rediculous. Anyone that sells on-line knows that they will have to package the item and bring it to the post office. That's part of the work involed when you sell on-line. Just like scanning and uploading images.

Including handling charges is expected. Especially with gas prices. If I don't agree

with the amount of shipping and handling I won't bid. If the seller won't disclose

the cost of shipping and handling till after an auction, I won't bid.

And I disagree with this if you mean the seller is entitled to overcharge on s&h to make up for low bids/Ebay fees. They can certainly do so, but it is unethical, an I won't shop with them. Buyers should not have to absorb the seller's overhead.

And buyer's shouldn't absorb the seller's overhead, I'm just saying if the quoted shipping is overly pricey, I bid acordingly. If I'm outbid, then the guy who won the auction will be paying the price. Either way, the seller won't be getting his money out of me (he either loses the extra $$ on the book's selling price, or I'm out of the game entirely).

If the seller has good feedback and tells you the shipping costs upfront then there shouldn't be a problem. If the shipping is to much, I don't bid. I also believe that thats part of the overall cost of the auction. I've seen auctions on CGC books with shipping over $20 for priority mail which is way to much. I also will not bid if the seller doesn't list or provide a calculator to help me figure it out.
I was willing to live with it as my mistake because I missed the cost in the item description, but the seller's "justification" really bugged me...

And buyer's shouldn't absorb the seller's overhead, I'm just saying if the quoted shipping is overly pricey, I bid acordingly. If I'm outbid, then the guy who won the auction will be paying the price. Either way, the seller won't be getting his money out of me (he either loses the extra $$ on the book's selling price, or I'm out of the game entirely).

I completely agree with taking the quoted the s&h fees into account when bidding, but I am debating the ethics of overcharging. I was really fuming with the person, but I left NEUTRAL feedback, claiming I was happy with the book, but that the s&h fees were inflated. I wanted to warn those who are unfamiliar with Canada Post rates of this.

I could have left negative in spite, but I'm not a jerk. I feel a neutral was warranted, even though I did not see the cost... I did so even though I was certain the seller would leave negative in return out of spite, and of course the seller did (and they said I was harassing them). Kind of proves my beef that this particular seller does not care too much for his/her customers. It's a sacrifice I'll make over and over again in an attempt to make what I believe is a more transparent Ebay environment, and I hope future buyers/sellers will see how smooth my other transactions have been.

I am certain people pay x$ for the shipping of items, assuming that's what it costs, until said items arrive with a postal price sticker of 1/2X$, and are affraid to make a fuss out of fear of getting negative feedback as I did. I don't know about you folks, but I am fed up of people using the threat of negative feedback to keep people in check...

P.S. I really like these new boards! Needs a little tinkering, but looks good! Good job gang!

I don't mind paying a little extra for shipping if the seller does what they say. I paid $9.50 for priority mail on $350 worth of comics 3 weeks ago this Tues. and I still have not seen the books. (1 state away) It has gotten stupid at this point, I emailed him Friday about it with no response yet. rantrantra

I'll never understand why people NEVER respond to emails when they're at fault for something. Then if they do, they'll have some ridiculous excuse that could ONLY happen to them.

I won an auction on EBAY weeks ago and I've emailed the guy at least 5 times for an update. NOT ONE TIME did I get a response and low and behold, they showed up today... 3 weeks later. Books that were supposed to ship, "2 days after a Paypal payment has been made." Ha... nonsense.

Not everyone on EBAY is bad though. Once in awhile you find nice people that do what they say and couldn't make transactions any smoother. It's hit or miss really...