• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King Kirby memorialized in The New York Times

7 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, the NY Times Online charges for archived articles, even those from a few days ago... did anyone else see this great story about Kirby from the August 27 edition of the paper? It was wonderful, giving loads of credit to The King for most of the Marvel lineup of the 1960s, and even covering his defection to DC and noting that his "uber-worlds" in books like "Forever People" and "New Gods" seem like the most direct inspiration for the concepts behind movies like "The Matrix."

Here's the abstract from the Times site:

One Vision From 1940's Still Rocks; Jack Kirby Heroes Thrive In Comic Books and Film

By ELVIS MITCHELL (NYT) 1134 words

Late Edition - Final , Section E , Page 1 , Column 1

ABSTRACT - Article on legacy of Jack Kirby, comic book writer and illustrator whose 1940's comic book heroes have been emulated for decades and can be seen in today's movies; Michael Chabon, whose Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, is set in 1940's comics publishing, comments on Kirby's continuing influence on pop culture; photos (L)

I guess you wouldn't be interested in Art Spiegelman's review of Bernie Krigstein, then. I posted this back in January. I don't know how to link it this thread, but the post number is 86451.

*sigh*

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gold&Number=86451&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Art%20Spiegelman%27s%20&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=86451&Search=true#Post86451