• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers #2

34 posts in this topic

I wouldn't think color touch as often you can see the crease in the lighter color areas due to the interaction with the light of the scanner. Its not a major color breaking crease. Obviously easy enough to check but my guess is its OK.

Ed

BTW I'd grade it a 5.5 as well.

Agreed. Plus, sometimes a light crease will break *more* color in some colors than others. Chances are the crease simply made the grey ink "break" worse than the purple ink which was probably darker and thicker. Further, sometimes a light crease through a dark ink will make the remaining ink over the crease area look "lighter"... thus look like a slightly mismatched color touch.

It's certainly possible that this is a color touch, but I'd be surprised if it was. Why touch that up and leave everything else?

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I count five 5.5s, one 5.0, one 4.5, and a 4.5-5.5.

The general consensus then is 5.5, which is a FINE– grade by Overstreet standards.

The book was listed in the auction as "VF-", which translates to a 7.5 grade by Overstreet standards.

(I need to clarify this grading here for my claim against the seller.)

5.5 it is...good luck with the returns...

Thx. It's not going so well, at least so far. :(

Expect the run around.

If the guy is a experienced eBay overgrader I'm sure he's got a long list of excuses.

:whatev:

If you weren't sure about the guy you should have bought just one book from him to test him.

:baiting:

Well, three and a half years later, I decided to submit this book for grading.

The scans are gone from the original post in 2007, so here they are again for reference.

avengers02R-F.jpg

avengers02R-B.jpg

To those of you who thought there might be colour touch on that crease in the LRFC, you were right.

Final grade: 5.0 Apparent SP OW/W

I wouldn't think color touch as often you can see the crease in the lighter color areas due to the interaction with the light of the scanner. Its not a major color breaking crease. Obviously easy enough to check but my guess is its OK.

Ed

Agreed. Plus, sometimes a light crease will break *more* color in some colors than others. Chances are the crease simply made the grey ink "break" worse than the purple ink which was probably darker and thicker. Further, sometimes a light crease through a dark ink will make the remaining ink over the crease area look "lighter"... thus look like a slightly mismatched color touch.

It's certainly possible that this is a color touch, but I'd be surprised if it was. Why touch that up and leave everything else?

Which is what I was thinking before. What is the likelihood that a professional restorer would add CT to only part of that crease, and at the same time, not dry clean the BC and remove the penciled price? (shrug) I think CGC got it wrong here. But hey, we're only looking at scans - they have the advantage of having the book in hand.

Ed

Which is what I was thinking before. What is the likelihood that a professional restorer would add CT to only part of that crease, and at the same time, not dry clean the BC and remove the penciled price? (shrug) I think CGC got it wrong here. But hey, we're only looking at scans - they have the advantage of having the book in hand.

David, I should clarify that I haven't called for the graders' notes yet, so it's entirely possible that the CT is in a completely different place on the book, and not on that corner crease.

However, in hand, it certainly looks to me like CT on that crease.

I'll call tomorrow and get the notes. I'll let you know what they say.