• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a little help with the grade please

30 posts in this topic

i got my hands on this yesterday and am wondering if it would be an ok grade. im trying to learn how to grade comics a bit so i dont waiste money on grading.so a number and why would help alot!

please and thank you!

scan0044.jpg

looks like a solid vg to me (could be in the 4.0 to 4.5 range)...as long as no issues with back cover...

spine stress, impact creasing, etc all are ok in the vg grade

rick

Ant-

Thorough graders will weigh ALL parts of the book from the front cover, all interior pages, to the back cover. Many will grade the front cover more heavily since that is the initial impression, but the bottom line is that if there is a large tear on the inside, the grade will be significantly downgraded.

While some will argue with the picture example, most of us here on the forums will agree with most of the standards set down in the Overstreet Grading Guide. If you are getting into the hobby, especially collecting backissues, I HIGHLY suggest you get your hands on a copy of it. It will also help you to understand many of the grading terms that people use here to evaluate the books posted.

Looking at your book, I'd say it's probably a 4.5 Very Good+. Lots of spine stresses with color breaks, blunting on the corners, what looks like some slight waviness across Clark's midsection, but overall looks to be intact.

thanks! i got the overstreet and am looking it over. the grading part is awsome and informative. but some of the info in it is confusing but im getting the hang of it again.i used to collect as a kid but changed to coins where i make good money but its just not as fun.

also i have some gold key type comics that i kant even find the name of comic.is this not good or is there another book for gold key.

thanks! i got the overstreet and am looking it over. the grading part is awsome and informative. but some of the info in it is confusing but im getting the hang of it again.i used to collect as a kid but changed to coins where i make good money but its just not as fun.

also i have some gold key type comics that i kant even find the name of comic.is this not good or is there another book for gold key.

What is the title of the Gold Key book(s) you are looking for?

tales of sword and sorcery DAGAR THE INVINCABLE # 90279-412

TUROK SON OF STONE #90030-309

T.H.E CAT (not the female hero) "cat breaks into prison to save life"dell#12-820-706

BROTHERS OF SPEAR "the serpents prey"#90277-309

BORIS KARLOFF "tales of mystery"#90053-404

also a TOR first dc issue(pictures are on way)in OS they list eclipse,marvel and npp.no dc! is the pic soon to come of the 1 listed in OS?

the cat book i found a "the cat (female hero)in overstreet, which i dont think is the 1 due to a man being on the front. lol unless the man im seeing on cover is a woman :)

well there is a very short gold key in there! thanks but i mean small.if the book isnt listed its not worth anything ? :(

Hmmm...now I'm really confused. Will have to check my OS when I go home tonight.

Here's a question, what does it say on either the inside front cover (bottom) or first page bottom in very small print? (this is known as the indicia)

turok son of stone,no.86 sep.1973 that info? or at start of story they have "turok son of stone part1: farewell to hutec!

thanks for dealing with my ignorance! i read comics but mainly look at the people art.to terminology is the thing i need to learn i guess :(

turok son of stone,no.86 sep.1973 that info?

Yup. That info. And you're saying this stuff isn't listed in the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide? The big arse price guide.

You're not looking in Wizard are you? hm

no im in the lil fat boy book not the mag :)

but some info in this thing is very confusing :) like my tor

scan0045.jpg

it lists 3 npp,marvel,and eclipse and this is the first dc issue( not listed) or im lost

and THE CAT :

scan0046.jpg

OS lists a THE CAT (female hero)

turok son of stone,no.86 sep.1973 that info? or at start of story they have "turok son of stone part1: farewell to hutec!

thanks for dealing with my ignorance! i read comics but mainly look at the people art.to terminology is the thing i need to learn i guess :(

Is it this book? I can't believe it's not listed in the OS.

1540_4_0086.jpg

Well, that Tor #1 should be listed as Tor #1 in the OS.

The Cat book might be listed under one of the numerous "Dell" TV issues or something like that. I'll check my OS tonight.

How do you make money in coins? I've found they're harder to purchase cheap enough to make a profit on.

i mainly am a colector of coins/comics. but i am just good at hunting deals down! it is hard to make money from big dealers and stores cause they usualy bump prices up or overgrade but i take comp and value guides and everything and i will argue if i have to.

i have been in coins for 3.5 yrs,gemology/metals 6yrs,and create cd covers for many artist(music)5yrs.and ive been collecting comics for life but never thaught of how valuable they are till i got into coins and was able to make money on them :) i was in it for the art :) and memories.

thanks again for all the help u all are giving me! my name is anthony but every1(including mom) calls me ant :)

Well, that Tor #1 should be listed as Tor #1 in the OS.

The Cat book might be listed under one of the numerous "Dell" TV issues or something like that. I'll check my OS tonight.

the tors listed are not dc comics :(

no "dell" in OS :(

Is it this book? I can't believe it's not listed in the OS.

1540_4_0086.jpg

yes that is the book :)

and THE CAT :

scan0046.jpg

OS lists a THE CAT (female hero)

This is listed under Movie Classics in OS.

Prices are 2.0- $4

4.0 - $8

6.0 - $12

8.0 - $21

9.0 - $30

9.2 - $38