• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you read?

38 posts in this topic

something other than Comics ...

I'm in the middle of "The Old Man and the Sea" with a re-read of "The Sound and the Fury" as next on my list...I read it in high school but didn't feel at the time like I got everything he was communicating.

a re-read of "The Sound and the Fury" as next on my list...

Ahhh! "Fun w/ Faulkner"! Can't get into him (Try "As I Lay Dying" for an even more boring read), and we have the same B-day! After Faulkner, check out some Eudora Welty for more "Southern' Cookin'".

But for comics, 100 Bullets is the best. Although, if our "newbie" friend is offended by "Fables", then I'd steer clear of this series. He'll probably feel the same about "Alias", unfortunately. Check out "Ultimate Spider-Man" or "The Ultimates"....probably more up your alley.

FF - Why are you looking for a complete run? If it's just for reading, you can get the whole series in trade.

Chris

something other than Comics ...

I'm in the middle of "The Old Man and the Sea" with a re-read of "The Sound and the Fury" as next on my list...I read it in high school but didn't feel at the time like I got everything he was communicating.

I'm reading Seabiscuit....Excellent read. See the movie first, and then read the book.

Thanks for the info of Alias, and someone have more information for the other books?

Global Frequency is written by Warren Ellis, who also wrote the last issues of Stormwatch, and the first Authority comics. He also does Transmetropolitan.

You can find out more about Global Frequency at this web page .

It's a 12 issue maxi-series. Some of the artists on there are doing their first major work in years:

#1 Garry Leach (from Miracleman)

#2 Glenn Fabry (Preacher Covers)

#3 Steve Dillon (from Preacher)

#4 Roy Allen Martinez

#5 John J. Muth (illustrator)

#6 David Lloyd (V for Vendetta)

#7 Simon Bisley (paintings Heavy Metal)

#8 Chris Sprouse and Karl Story (Legion, Tom Strong)

#9 Lee Bermejo (Batman/Deathblow)

#10 Tomm Coker (DC/Image artist)

#11 Jason Pearson

#12 Gene Ha

From the DC website:

There are 1001 people on the Global Frequency, connected together across a worldwide telecommunications spider web from Nova Scotia to Tasmania. You'll never know when you get the call, but when you do you have 30 minutes to save the world. Global Frequency - the last, best line of defense that you have never heard of. And if you're lucky, you never will.

[it's like Mission Impossible. Each issue is a self-contained story.]

a re-read of "The Sound and the Fury" as next on my list...

Ahhh! "Fun w/ Faulkner"! Can't get into him (Try "As I Lay Dying" for an even more boring read), and we have the same B-day! After Faulkner, check out some Eudora Welty for more "Southern' Cookin'".

*shudder* ...Faulkner... *shudder*

"As I Die Reading" was three weeks of English class wasted for me in high school. Although my essay on the stupid thing was the main reason I got a 5 on the AP Test... And at $400 a credit-hour I guess it saved me about $2400 in tuition... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Still... *shudder*

FF - Why are you looking for a complete run? If it's just for reading, you can get the whole series in trade.

I'm having mental trouble with buying anything comic-related except "32-page pamphlets." As superheroes migrate from a print format to moving pictures and interactive simulations over the next few decades, I do feel like the trade paperback will last longer than individual issues, but I'm having trouble integrating that belief into my collecting habits.

"Barn Burning" by Faulkner is one of the finest short stories I've ever read...there are a few pigheaded, arrogant insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in these forums with attitudes that aren't far removed from the protagonist's father in that story. I've also read "The Sound and the Fury" and "Go Down Moses"...I don't really have much fondness for the Southern setting, but I find that Faulkner writes compellingly powerful dialogue and covers a lot of social issues that are still extremely relevant 50 years later (or however long ago he wrote, I forget).

"Barn Burning" by Faulkner is one of the finest short stories I've ever read...there are a few pigheaded, arrogant insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in these forums with attitudes that aren't far removed from the protagonist's father in that story. I've also read "The Sound and the Fury" and "Go Down Moses"...I don't really have much fondness for the Southern setting, but I find that Faulkner writes compellingly powerful dialogue and covers a lot of social issues that are still extremely relevant 50 years later (or however long ago he wrote, I forget).

I have plenty of respect for the quality of the work. And I did find some of his shorter material to be entertaining. But "As I Die Reading" in particular seemed more like a mental exercise than a piece of fiction. It almost seemed as though he wrote the book to see if he could, rather than to tell a story or deliver a message. I have read experimental novels of all sorts, including two that were written without using the letter "e" and another that just did not include the word "the." And Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" fell into the same category for me, a curiosity but nothing more.

Given a choice though, I would still rather read Faulkner over Margaret Atwood anyday... 893frustrated.gif

But for comics, 100 Bullets is the best. Although, if our "newbie" friend is offended by "Fables", then I'd steer clear of this series. He'll probably feel the same about "Alias", unfortunately. Check out "Ultimate Spider-Man" or "The Ultimates"....probably more up your alley.

I already check Ultimate Spider-Man and The Ultimates, but It's too "light" for me, I'm not offended by "Fables", I just I don't like all the blood and the part with the sex on the first Issue, I don't see another Issue, It's the same?

For 100 Bullets I heard a lot of people saying that it's a good comic, good writers (or writer I'm not sure if it's just one), maybe someday I can give it a try.

What about the comics from Penny Farthing Press or Oni Press Inc., anyone have read anything from those companies? anything good?

Greetings,

Edian

Global Frequency is written by Warren Ellis, who also wrote the last issues of Stormwatch, and the first Authority comics. He also does Transmetropolitan.

Great! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sound pretty fun, do you know if exist a TPB, on the website don't say anything about it?

Greetings,

Edian

As I Die Reading" was three weeks of English class wasted for me in high school. Although my essay on the stupid thing was the main reason I got a 5 on the AP Test... And at $400 a credit-hour I guess it saved me about $2400 in tuition...

Lucky you! I actually took a class in college that was a Faulkner/Welty specialty course. You talk about 3 weeks of wasted life, try a whole semester! 893whatthe.gif

Have you (or you, FF) ever read "The Bear"? Another Faulkner short story, known for having one of the longest single sentences ever written. It's like 3 pages long! *double shudder*

But, this discussion reminds me.... For Sale: William Faulkner Term Paper - "As I Lay Dying" (grade: A) wink.gif

Chris

Does anyone read "McSweeney's"?

The quarterly short story anthology? Yes .... shy.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Did you pick up the most recent? (At least, I'm pretty sure it was the most recent...) The "Treasury of Thrilling Tales" or whatever it was called?!

cloud9.gif A fellow McSweeney's reader... cloud9.gif

Most of Faulkner's best-known stuff was written in the 1920s, so more like 75 years. The "Benjy" section of S&F is indeed tough going, but the other chapters are easier and for me more rewarding. Have also read "Absalom, Absalom," and while it does have some of those experimental run-on sentence/pages, it is generally a straightforward linear story.

Closer to our genre home, I've previously recommended to Chris to check out Roger Zelazny's "Lord of Light," what I've called the best original prose super-hero novel ever. Zelazny transposes the Hindu pantheon onto a future planet colonized by Earthmen from the Indian subcontinent. Then the Buddha appears, and all heaven breaks loose!

Does anyone read "McSweeney's"?

The quarterly short story anthology? Yes .... shy.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Did you pick up the most recent? (At least, I'm pretty sure it was the most recent...) The "Treasury of Thrilling Tales" or whatever it was called?!

But of course! Pure plot-driven pop-fiction at its best! What a fun read.

I love how you never know what to expect with a release, both in packaging or content. The all-chapbook issue was neat, especially since it included the Michael Chabon Kavalier and Klay short story. And the new issue (#11) comes with a DVD! It's always a blast to see what they'll come up with next.

They supposedly publish pretty good "normal" books, too. I've heard guys like Dave Eggers are supposed to be amazing! But alas, I haven't read any of them as of yet ... too busy rotting my brain on stuff like the new Tom Clancy. insane.gif

Alan