• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not a lot of love for the SS . . . . . .

24 posts in this topic

I was reviewing the Seven Year Itch thread in the General Section, and noticed a bunch of negative posts against the SS. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, but apparently it really pizzes a bunch of collectors off! I used to collect autographed sports cards, so the SS was a natural for me when I got back into comics full-throttle. I love having the signatures of the people responsible for these little works of art on the books themselves. Why does getting comics autographed cause such a visceral negative reaction with some collectors, especially when all they have to do is avoid getting their own comics signed? What do you think?

It looks like some collectors would just prefer to keep the high-end/dollar books "scribble" free. Every collector has their own personal preferences.

It was interesting to note that with Signature Series taking off the way it has, more and more comics are getting signed specifically for that, and not necessarily to meet consumer supply and demand.

Personally, I dont really see the problem of getting a book signed by its writer or artist. Why wouldn't it add dollar value to the book, if not, at least sentimental value, or collectability?

To each his own.

At first I wasn't into SS books, but they're really grown on me to the point to where most of my money's going towards these books. What can I say? I'm now a sucker for one of a kind signatures and sketches!

I had stopped collecting slabs completely(and no longer submitted my own) for well over a year....and the new Signature Line brought me back. it completely revitalized my childhood passion for this hobby.

My very 1st submission was for John Byrne at his self-proclaimed 'final convention appearance' in Ohio. I had planned on going & getting the books signed in person, but I was forced to cancel the trip at the last minute. Kudos to Peter Dixon(Paradise Comics) for getting my books done. Not an easy task considering I had requested interior signatures on all of them.

When I got those books back......I was completely hooked.

CGC Signature Series is more addictive than crack.

Seriously

I didn't like the idea at first. Back then, writing on my comic was writing on my comic, regardless of whether it's the person who created it or the person who bought it. I've since been reformed. I'm still kinda picky about my SS books, but will generally take the especially cool ones from about anybody.

I'm losing interest from both the collector side and the witness side to be honest. CGC is going to have to explore ways to make it worthwhile for the witness to want to spend his entire show in a line. Believe me, witnesses get NO time to actually enjoy a convention.

I'm losing interest from both the collector side and the witness side to be honest. CGC is going to have to explore ways to make it worthwhile for the witness to want to spend his entire show in a line. Believe me, witnesses get NO time to actually enjoy a convention.

I had wondered about this and whether you actually had to wait in line or if CGC had been able to secure a "private signing" at most shows.

I had wondered about this and whether you actually had to wait in line or if CGC had been able to secure a "private signing" at most shows.

Nope, we have to wait in line with the rest of the public.

Well, I for one, REALLY appreciate your hard work to get SS books done for me. I got my first SS books through you and JonJesper and I now have a couple of really nice books. You guys are tops in my books. I am sad you won't be at Chicago, I was looking forward to meeting you!

I appreciate the extra work as well. I had no idea that the witnesses were stuck in line like everyone else.

Maybe that would be a way for CGC to improve the system. Have a signing before the show opens or after it closes, or even a dinner for the creators where all can sit down, have a good meal, a drink or two and sign comfortably.

I think that a witness will have to be paid more. Plain and simple. But how do you compensate someone for their time lost? That is the question. This would also raise the price of the SS line. Hope you feel better pirate. Its a shame for someone to get burnt out like that.

Well, I'm hesitant about getting my books slabbed since I haven't gotten into that part of the hobby yet. But I am ALL about getting sigs on my books. It just adds a touch of the surreal to the experience of that book knowing the very writer and/or artist of that book has handled and signed my comic.

I didn't realize how un-glamorous it is to be one of the CGC witnesses though. I would hope they would at least cover your admission and defray travel expenses to some extent since you're making business for them. I also think a seperate signing session would be a wonderful idea. It'd allow the witnesses a little more time to get their business done, but also to talk with the creators as well (and thereby not lose all of the time in line at the show).

I'd be willing to help out with admission to the shows or just a flat fee. I simply don't get to go to big shows, so these witnesses that are willing to help me out are a HUGE asset! If private signings aren't an option, I think this is a good substitute.

I was reviewing the Seven Year Itch thread in the General Section, and noticed a bunch of negative posts against the SS. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, but apparently it really pizzes a bunch of collectors off! I used to collect autographed sports cards, so the SS was a natural for me when I got back into comics full-throttle. I love having the signatures of the people responsible for these little works of art on the books themselves. Why does getting comics autographed cause such a visceral negative reaction with some collectors, especially when all they have to do is avoid getting their own comics signed? What do you think?

:headbang: Rain down the Righteous Finghdignation!!!! :applause:

I knew about CGC for a little bit but thought it wasn't for me. Then getting my books signed at shows has slowly started becoming an obsession. It feels great, meeting an artist/writer that you admire and also getting the sense of accomplishment.

Doing some research, I learned about CGC SS and now...this is slowly becoming an obsession.....

I feel for you guys, since I know what waiting in a huge line feels like, missing out on other things going on at a con (or my wife does since she would stand in a different line while I was in another). But your efforts are appreciated!

I think a lot of us who would be at the larger shows wouldn't mind "holding" your place in a line just to help.

Personally, I'll be at SDCC wed-sat and WonderCon saturday if anyone needs my help :shy: