• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRONZE AGE SURVIVOR SERIES SHOOTOUT!!

56 posts in this topic

I was actually thinking about these two, but for some reason, they just didn't rank as high to me as the others. Plus, no one else brought them up in the other thread.:

Star Wars #1 (this came out well before the movie, as I recall, and was a major event)

First Issue Special #8 (first Warlord by Grell)

As for Kamandi, Omac, etc. et al... :frustrated:

I think you ought to revise the Jimmy Olsen issue, or else delete it altogether. From the earlier, abortive Bronze Age survivor thread:

and Jimmy Olsen 135 (first Darkseid). I think 135 could replace 133

I thought JO 133 *was* the first appearance of Darkseid. :frustrated:

JO 133 was the first post-Marvel Age Kirby DC book.

JO 134 is the first Darkseid appearance, a final-panel reveal that is miscolored in the original so that he appears to be Caucasian. doh!

JO 135 has a slightly more significant Darkseid appearance, correctly colored. This one predates New Gods #1 and Forever People #1. IIRC, Overstreet calls JO 135 the 2nd Darkseid, and states that NG & FP #1 are "tied" for the 3rd appearance.

If you elect to do away with the JO, what about the first Byrne X-Men issue? (108?) hm

Re: Green Lantern/Green Arrow 85 (Drug Issue)

Weren't the Amazing Spider-Man drug issues released first?

Yeah, but even though I'm a Marvel Zombie I have to admit that the GL/GA issues covered serious drug use, like syringes and heroin. Plus, it involved a super hero Speedy, who was revealed to be a junkie.

In the ASM issues, it was just Harry popping a few uppers.

JC, you're spot on here. I think 3rd is the real spot that will be fought for. I kind of wish ASM 121 & 122 could be a dual entry since you really can't have one without the other.

And my nomination for Batman 227 is based primarily on the following factors: 1. it is a great homage cover to Tec 31 2. it's recent popularity in the past couple years deserves to be recognized on this list. As I said before, its one that will no doubt be voted off relatively early on, but it still should be listed. Storyline is basically a sort of ghost story as I recall. I should go back and give it another read. Actually pretty good though from what I remember if that counts?-)

JC, you're spot on here. I think 3rd is the real spot that will be fought for. I kind of wish ASM 121 & 122 could be a dual entry since you really can't have one without the other.

And my nomination for Batman 227 is based primarily on the following factors: 1. it is a great homage cover to Tec 31 2. it's recent popularity in the past couple years deserves to be recognized on this list. As I said before, its one that will no doubt be voted off relatively early on, but it still should be listed. Storyline is basically a sort of ghost story as I recall. I should go back and give it another read. Actually pretty good though from what I remember if that counts?-)

Thanks Mac, I've never read 227 so i was wondering if there was more to the issue than met the eye (thumbs u

If you want to start with 40 books, you'll probably want to knock out 2 per round until it's down to the top 20 or so, or devote just 1 day per round at the beginning. Otherwise, 40 books at 2 days per found is 80 days (almost 3 months!), which is too long.

Okay, Shadow has given me the official okay to set up the Bronze Age Survivor Series, and to avoid as many *issues* as possible, I thought I'd start a thread where you could all scream and yell about which comics belong and which should be gone.

A couple of ground rules. I went through the previous BA thread and collected all the suggested issues I felt were relevant and important enough for inclusion, so let's stick with hammering on the existing list of books. Also, there are (I think) 39 entries right now, so feel free to state how many you'd like to see included. Don't worry if it's too little or too much, just shout it out.

Here's the list:

All-Star Western 10 (First Jonah Hex)

Amazing Spider-man 101 (First Morbius)

Amazing Spider-man 121 (Death of Gwen Stacy)

Amazing Spider-man 122 (Death of Green Goblin)

Amazing Spider-man 129 (First Punisher)

Astonishing Tales 25 (First Deathlok)

Batman 232 (First Ra's Al Ghul)

Batman 234 (First BA Two-Face)

Cerebus 1 (First Cerebus)

Conan 1 (First Conan)

Daredevil 131 (First Bullseye)

Daredevil 168 (First Elektra)

Detective Comics 395 (First Adams)

Detective Comics 400 (First Man-Bat)

Green Lantern/Green Arrow 76 (O'Neill/Adams Start)

Green Lantern/Green Arrow 85 (Drug Issue)

Giant-Size X-Men 1 (First New X-Men)

Hero For Hire 1 (First Luke Cage)

House of Secrets 92 (First Swamp Thing)

Hulk 181 (First Wolverine)

Iron Fist 14 (First Sabretooth)

Iron Man 55 (First Thanos)

Jimmy Olsen 135 (First Darkseid)

Marvel Feature 1 (First Defenders)

Marvel Premiere 1 (First Marvel Try-Out/Warlock)

Marvel Premiere 15 (First Iron Fist)

Marvel Spotlight 2 (First Werewolf)

Marvel Spotlight 5 (First Ghost Rider)

Marvel Team-up 1 (first new Spidey/Team-up book)

New Gods 1 (Kirby Magic at DC)

Superman 233 (New Direction)

Superman vs. Spider-man 1 (First Marvel-DC Crossover)

Swamp Thing 1 (Swampie in Own Mag)

Tomb of Dracula 1 (First Dracula)

Tomb of Dracula 10 (First Blade)

Werewolf by Night 32 (First Moon Knight)

X-Men 94 (First New X-Men in Reg. Series)

X-Men 101 (First Phoenix)

X-Men 141 (Days of Future Past)

Ok, what the heck? No Devil Dinosaur #1? I'm crying foul right now and declaring this...

bsflag.gif

How can you NOT find significance in the 1st appearance of Moon Boy? :P