• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The dealers function -has it changed?

11 posts in this topic

I was reading a post which starting me wondering how the dealers function has/is changing. From my perspective as a relatively small buyer and seller I no longer need the 'dealer". I try to buy books directly from a seller. In the mid nineties I would buy from a dealer who had the book I was interested in at a somewhat negotiated price. Supplies were limited. E-Bay has changed the function for me. I have been to a few shows lately and have bought nothing. I do most of my buying through E-Bay and care little if it is a private customer or a "dealer "selling the book. There seems to be more competition. If I like the book and believe the price is right I bid for the book. Heritage has also fit into the mix. When I sell a book, the same resources are available and I am usually happy with the results. I guess the dealer performs the function for the seller who needs cash today or is unwilling to go through the sales and shipping hassle of selling CGC books. He also plays the game of buying a raw collection and grading the better copies hoping for the windfall. In addition I suspect that the dealers are very competitive on the

very expensive books which are one of a kind and can supply a customer wishing to spend sizeable dollars. In my world I am a competitive buyer of books I like or need and the auction markets (CGC'd)

supply my needs. This has been a great change from the mid ninties. Just my view.

Yea, their function has changed, but I much prefer to buy from a dealer than an casual seller because I know dealers have a vested interest in not screwing me over and giving me decent service. There are plenty of casual sellers that I trust entirely, but if we're talking about somebody I've never dealt with or heard of, I'd much prefer they were a dealer.

The retailer's function is the same as it was 10 years ago. They have to diversify their product mix to survive the direct sales down trend that we are in today. Sell what the customer wants: action figures/bisques, comic supplies, sportscards, Yu-gi-oh, Maxim/Stuff mag, gaming cards, used Nintendo games.

Would say collectors are more polarized today compared to 15 yrs ago. Most can't afford to buy both new issues & actively buy/bid on vintage 893blahblah.gif paper collectibles.