• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, a cautious tale for art collectors re Michael Golden

78 posts in this topic

I'm not too comfortable with this thread. The guy did one clunker and everyone wants to sharpen the pitchforks and light the torches.

One clunker? There are at least 2, and since there were "4 friends" probably 4. There are also still TONS of outstanding commissions, which is a separate issue.

Its kinda sad. There are many artists that owe outstanding paid commissions that are YEARS late. They will probably never even do it, so in that sense, they have committed a worse sin. However, by drawing something crappy that insults the buyer, Golden appears in a worse light.

Malvin

I know I for one will now refuse to purchase anything with Golden's name on it. I just got the Modern Masters book and wish I hadn't. This guy doesn't need any support from his fans obviously.

This is just horrible.

Kudos to John Byrne for stepping up and offering Jerry some art worth his 500.00 for absolutely nothing. Now that was a class act.

Before your post I didn't see any other reference to JB performing this classy act of charity. Is this information to be found on JB's page? Personally, I'd ask JB to draw Dr Strange sending Golden's 24 inch long pony tail into Dormammu's Dark Dimension.

What a shame. I too am a fan of MG's art. This raises the age old question of art criticism: is knowledge and/or appreciation of the artist integral to one's understanding/appreciation of the art? In this circumstance, we can answer the question as "no" because both clearly suck independently of each other. Best wishes art collector!!

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19898&TPN=1

Check about halfway down the first page for Byrne's offering.

He is a very good artist. I would enjoy, admire and perhaps buy his art even if he were a felon (okay, depends on the crime). It sounds like he needs to work on the business end of things. Can you blame an artist for not being a good business man? Perhaps that is Renee's job; and, if so, they should work it out.

The man needs to make a living like all of us. I hate to see him pilloried like this. Lets see if he makes it right.

PS I wish John Byrne would do some free art for me.

Can you blame an artist for not being a good business man? Perhaps that is Renee's job; and, if so, they should work it out.

The man needs to make a living like all of us. I hate to see him pilloried like this. Lets see if he makes it right.

You can't be serious. We're not talking about a $10 convention sketch here. Golden was paid $500 for this work and not only took forever to do it, but produced a lackluster, selfish and insulting illustration. Why don't you ante up and take your chances?

I'd love to see the other illustrations that Golden did as commissions that were mentioned here.

Can you blame an artist for not being a good business man? Perhaps that is Renee's job; and, if so, they should work it out.

You can't be serious. We're not talking about a $10 convention sketch here. Golden was paid $500 for this work and not only took forever to do it, but produced a lackluster, selfish and insulting illustration. Why don't you ante up and take your chances?

I'd love to see the other illustrations that Golden did as commissions that were mentioned here.

IMO, what Golden did was borderline theft.

I got a $100 sketch from Golden at his first show back on the "scene" (last year's Baltimore Con). As several people here who have seen it can attest to, it was a complete piece of . The proportions were off, the linework was sloppy and basically, Phoenix looked like a man.

Fortunately for me, I was able to get my money back by throwing it up on ebay (it was the first Golden sketch up, so apparently someone was desperate to own anything from him).

I'm still mad that I missed my chance to be first in Eric Powell's line instead...

Ok come on, "lets not pick on the guy", "no pitchforks", "give him a chance", read his response, http://www.comicartfans.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3440

Too late, I am leading a mob with torches and pitchforks

Golden is a piece of , he ripped this guy off, period! he did not, in good faith, do as he was paid to do. It would be like if someone paid me $100 to get him a great steak dinner, and I bring him a $5 McDonalds meal and write "sucker" on the bag and say I got you what you ordered. Golden is a jerk, and I hate guys like him that rip people off. $500 is a lot of money, I work a lot of hours to make that kind of money and when I spend it for someone to draw me a picture I expect them to do the best they can. Golden is an a ss and there is no his side to this story, he didn't like this guy and ripped him off. lesson learned for me, be very careful who I get a commission from, and never, ever get one from this clown Golden.

Golden sucks, period!!!!..............I'm angry and I don't know anyone involved it just pis ses me off when jerks do things like Golden pulled...DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, he's a selfish bully who takes advantage of his own fans. It's hard to believe considering the number of friendly and appreciative creators I've met over the years. I hope this blows up in his face. Let DC and Marvel know that you will not purchase work from someone who takes advantage of fans.

Y'know, Golden's reply was pretty weak. (And to find out that he charges two grand for an "cover quality" piece was mighty surprising. I know of at least one dealer that will sell you some actual inked Golden covers for less than that.)

Golden's rationale was weak and his overall viewpoint -- which seemed to be, other collectors are lined up to get his work so why should he care about this particular guy? -- was awfully dismissive. So I think we've all learned: Never, ever, get a commissioned piece from Michael Golden.

Money talks. "Taking pride in your work is a virtue, Mr. Golden".

As I left the booth, Renee' continued to hurl insults at me very loudly and agressively.

Man, I'd give money to be in your shoes AFTER I had my money in my pocket. We'd at least see how fast tubby-poney-tail boy could run.

I thought that _maybe_ Golden would come back and admit that the commission was sub-par and offer to either make a new one or refund the money. That might be the weakest interaction with a fan that I've ever seen from a comics pro. His reply was insulting. Mr. Turnbull should make public all of his e-mail exchanges with Renee so that there's no chance of twisting around what occurred.

It seems as if this has been resolved? Is this true Gerry?

Check this link:

http://www.tcj.com/messboard/viewtopic.php?t=2470&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Where "Eva Ink" which I assume is Golden or his representative, states that they are working things out now (about two thirds down the page).

For one, I really hope that this is worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

As a fan, you want to believe that the artists who make the pretty pictures you adore are equally amazing in all facets of their life, good judgment, nice people, etc. While, of course, no one is perfect, it does not seem to sink in all that well because what we as fans mostly see of the artists is their art, their one shining amazing gift from above that makes all of us gasp and wonder.

Undoubtedly, for many of us, myself included, unless I read or hear something to the contrary about that individual artist, their art will have a halo effect on that artist. So, for example, if I love Michael Kaluta's art, I'll think Mr. Kaluta must be a nice guy (I only met him once for a brief period of time and this seemed to be the case). (As another aside, Mr. John Byrne, whose art I love, but whose press is not always the best, apparently has made a very commendable good gesture towards Gerry in this situation.)

Stories like Gerry's interactions with Michael Golden really shatter the illusion on multiple levels. It may also have a greater effect on the hobby than people may realize. I've been on the fence for a while about collecting commissions. Now, I'm pretty much off the fence, and probably will not start adding them to my collection anytime soon, if ever. There may be others like myself (or not).

But the real story here is Gerry, who by all accounts seems like a really nice guy, and his receipt of something that cost him alot of money, but which did not make him happy. What makes me hopeful is that everyone involved is an adult and realizes what is at stake. For Gerry, it is a good sum of money. For Michael Golden, it is a potential hit on his otherwise good reputation. When everyone has something signficant to lose, that is when resolutions are formed.

Best of luck on working this out Gerry, and please let us know how it all turns out.

I'll think Mr. Kaluta must be a nice guy (I only met him once for a brief period of time and this seemed to be the case).

He is a total class act. I'll try and get my Swampy Con Sketch he did for me in Bmore a few years back (for $40) in the next week or so (still trying to figure out my scanner). One of the few times I waited in line for over an hour and didn't feel like my Con time was wasted.

And in that same TCJ posting I am accused of being Gerry several times.

Oh well....who knew a short Italian guy from Chicago would be mistaken for a gentleman in Scotland?

Chris

As some of you know, there has been a discussion over recent weeks about some art commissions, between on the one hand, Michael Golden (artist); and on the other hand, Gerry Turnbull and three other art collectors. All parties involved have now come to an amicable resolution for all concerned, which involves those who wish to keep their commissions, doing so; and fair compensation for those who wish another option. Whilst much has been said in public--we are all agreeing amicably on the situation--discussions on which had been somewhat delayed by the SDCC. We are all also agreeing that while asking for the art to be delivered in time for San Diego put the artist in the position of having to move three pieces before other work, that the collectors were not aware that was the case, or that the delivery of others artwork would be delayed because of that. To be clear, all four collectors had delivery dates, all of which were changed several times due to Michael's cover schedule, which we place before commission work at times. But none of these four collectors, knowingly or otherwise, jumped any commission line.

Also, contrary to the rampant message boards, it is agreed that neither the collectors, Michael, or his agent, lied about any "good faith" on their part, in the course of these events. There has been some disagreement about expectations, and the fact that the artist's humor on the pieces wasn't expected by the purchasers. It is acknowledged however, that Golden holds no malice towards the four collectors, and the four collectors hold no malice towards Mr. Golden. In fact, this situation started out as one of mutual respect, and it is everyone's desire for the situation to be just that.

After discussing all sides of the matter amicably this week and looking at the matter as a whole, we now feel the subject is respectfully settled to the satisfaction of all, and everyone seems pleased with the outcome. At any rate, its all resolved now and some of us will be getting together to share a Pepsi (or Coke) together at the Baltimore show .

Renee Witterstaetter (for herself and Michael Golden), Gerry Turnbull (for himself, Malcolm, Michael and Brian)

After I saw Brett's sketch in Baltimore and had to pay 20 bucks to get 6 things signed. I knew to stay away from Golden. For 500 you could get 2 adam hughes commissions, 5 JG Jones, 3 Mark Brooks, a really nice sienkewicz, an extremely nice Creig Flessel, or even a pretty nice Neal Adams. I am glad there are so many other great top tier artist who provide great work for 500 or less. Herb Trempe will do a cover recreation for about that much. Mike Ploog does free sketches for anyone who ask and has Bronze age marvel pages for less. I think anybody who is even considering a micheal golden commission should consider other avenues.

After I saw Brett's sketch in Baltimore and had to pay 20 bucks to get 6 things signed. I knew to stay away from Golden. For 500 you could get 2 adam hughes commissions...

Well, it *is* the artist's perogative to charge whatever he/she wants for artwork, BUT... I do understand where you are coming from, because I feel the same way.